Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen_angst

blum space corner?

kitchen_angst
14 years ago

Has anyone used a blum space corner? I will have a lower corner cabinet with only 12" on each face and so am considering space corner drawers instead of a piano hinge cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: space corner

Comments (5)

• plllog
    14 years ago

I don't know what makes them a "space corner". I have corner drawers made by my cabinet maker with Blum glides. He bevelled the faces, though. Is the Space Corner where the faces are hinged so they don't have to be bevelled? Seems unnecessarily complicated to me, but if you're getting factory cabinets and don't have a good carpenter to alter the faces it could be a solution--if it doesn't cost a lot more than a carpenter. You do need clear aisle space to open them, but the drawers are great.

• kitchen_angst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pllog, yes, I think it is a concept that utilizes the Blum longer slides to create the unit. They also provide some specs and drawings for various types of cabinets. In addition, looks like there is a face hinge mechanism for tight reveals called syncromotion. Bevelling the edges though sounds like a better idea to me and we are having the cabinets custom built.

Would you be able to post a pic of your corner drawers? Is this option something you'd do again? I currently have piano hinges and lazy susans for the bottom corner cabinets and am not in love with that approach.

Here is a link that might be useful: syncromotion

• plllog
    14 years ago

I'm not in my kitchen yet, but so far I'm happy with my drawers. My cabinet maker made the boxes rectangular, however, following one of the Blum plans, and I want him to change them to be like the one in the picture that's fully extended.

I don't have any particular pictures of the drawers, and they're currently covered over with paper, so this is what I do have to show:

You can sort of see them:

Without the drawer fronts:

It's the syncromotion thing I don't have. You notice they show it with those glossy plastic looking euro drawer fronts, which probably don't lend themselves to beveling.

I went from a G with three super susan cupboards to a U with two sets of corner drawers. Even with not being in yet, I already love them.

I don't have time to draw it right now, but if you look at the drawer box in the plan you'll see the little triangle at the back. My cabinet maker didn't do the triangle (I think I said I didn't need it) but I don't like the way that leaves a gap, and also that the back corners of the drawer are inside the cabinet. In one of the pictures they have the back of the drawer line on the diagonal from the point of the triangle to the side wall, and, one presumes, built out triangles behind the diagonal at the sides to meet the hardware in the back. Does that make sense? Anyway, once the counters/backsplash are in, I'm going to ask him to change these.

• kitchen_angst
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you -- really helpful! I think I will ask the cabinet maker for the corner drawers. Seems like deciding on hardware for the unit could be a little tricky, do you have any advice based on your experience?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm glad that was helpful! But no advice on the hardware. The cabinetmaker spec'd it. They're all Blum. There are extra heavy glides on the big pot drawers next to the corner. And superduper heavy (250 lb.) on the pullout for the baking boards because of the size of the unit, and the word "marble". Yes, heavy enough for the kids to play ride 'em pony, not that they'll be so allowed. ;)