Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbpdx

When to install backsplash - same day as CT?

rbpdx
12 years ago

We are installing the backsplash the same day as countertop is in since our fabricator is installing it as well.

Is this ok timing or should I wait a few weeks/months after the countertop has 'settled'?

Also what join should he be using between the BS and CT?

Comments (8)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

What kind of BS are you doing? Tile? Or continuing the countertop up the wall?

I don't think you have to let anything settle, well except your nerves! I needed the time to decide what to do but you seem all set. I think it can be done right away. I know if you use tile matching up to granite you need to use caulk where they meet. IF they use grout it will crack. Guaranteed. I have no idea what happens if you have a slab backsplash though.

My tiles just sat on the counter, and then were caulked afterwards. Very last step. This is my tile sitting on the counter, of course it's attached to the wall.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

When our counters were placed, they put a bead of silicon along the wall edge that needed to dry. A few hours maybe? I believe there was some silicon underneath too. So maybe you should give it a day before you do the backsplash. What does your fabricator say?

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The fabricator will tile the backsplash right away (same day).

The reason I asked if because he also mentioned that since granite is heavy, it will 'lowered'(what's the proper term here) the cabinet and create extra space between BS and CT??

Does that make sense? Why is he contradicting himself/me?

I deft will push for caulk when he's there, he mentioned about using grout. This is so stressful. Also just spoke with electrician. It's too late to install undercab lighting :: Oh well we have 4 recessed lighting, 1 over the sink and 2 pendants over the bar.... Must resist the temptation to have wants vs needs!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Wait! Why is it too late for the undercab lighting? We have the same amount of lighting in our kitchen as you plus the undercabs. I find that while our old overhead florescent lit up the kitchen like a runway, the new lighting is more task specific. The undercabs are necessary.

I don't know your kitchen set up, but in ours we only needed to go through the wall in two places, from one side of the sink to the other and around the stove. If your bs isn't in yet, you can still cut through the drywall. I can't think of another reason you couldn't install undercabs. If he's thinking of the transformer, ours is a little thing that fits neatly in the cabinet over the stove. If I were you I'd double check on the "too late" thing.

P.S. Unclear how the granite will lower anything. It won't squash the cabinets or the floor, so I don't really get it.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

suzannes1, my thoughts exactly.

We still have our original cabinets...and yet we added ucl. the wire goes up the wall, into the back of the cabinet, travels to the front, down a hole to the bottom behind the front lip and voila....ucl. Ours are low voltage Seagull lights.

You're never too full for jello, and it's never too late for under-cabinet lights.

nice, huh?

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

You can set the tile the minute they are done with the counter. It should not be grouted for 24 hours (unless you are using some sort of super fast set adhesive). The silicone between the counter and tile should not be done until the grout is dry, probably another 24 hrs. You do not need silicone between the top and wall before the tile goes in. The silicone between the counter and tile will create a water proof seal, making the other seal useless.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

:D I will get me some jello! I send the idea to the electrician, we'll see what he said (fishing the wire through ceiling vs drywall)

Phew on tile install on the same day

{{gwi:1583989}}

We are thinking of doing travertine BS... I just wish this reno is over so no more going back and forth on decisions...