Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

I need a new faucet - Do you love yours?

kathec
12 years ago

So I have some Christmas money and a new faucet is tops on my list. I know I want the following:

Pull down

Single hole

High Arch

Traditional Styling

Chrome, Stainless or Nickel

$350 or less

I've checked some out at the local big boxes, but it's hard to judge since they aren't hooked up to water. The options available now are staggering. Do I want a locking magnet? What about touch on/off? Spot free finish?

Over 10 years ago I had a Grohe Ladylux back when the the pull downs were still new on the market. I loved it, but only lived with it 3 years. I don't know how it performed over the long haul.

FWIW my sink is a 24" Ikea Domsjo.

More than likely, I'll be buying online. I'm hoping for glowing reviews so I can narrow down the field. Do you have one you really love? Or know which ones I should avoid?

Thank you again for all your help.

Comments (24)

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

LOVE mine. Moen lindley. $218 at home depot. Have put moen Aberdeen in 3 houses. This time wanted a single hole but didn't want to spend $300. I have one on prep sink too.

• brickton
    12 years ago

I also was going to recommend the Moen Lindley. We have it in the bronze color, but the stainless is quite nice as well as above. The spray is really nice, stays on with one click, hooks nicely back in without a magnet. We've only had it installed for 3 months so I can't comment on durability, but so far, we're big fans.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I love mine. Grohe from Costco. My second one. Very very pleased with it. Affordable too.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Another Grohe Ladylux will be good for you.
    There are many shapes of Ladylux.

The price range you have is a normal range.
    Most faucets have a price that begins with a 3 or smaller number.

• Emily
    12 years ago

We have the Delta touch faucet. We love it although it is a two hole and maybe has a bit more modern styling. I know there have been some mixed reviews on it on GW but we love it. It is so nice when working with raw meats to be able to touch on or off with your wrist or back of your hand. I feel like it is easier to keep a cleaner kitchen that way.
    It has a magnet locking system and has a spray button that locks in place so you don't gave to hold down a button to use the spray feature, which is also nice.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

I do love mine: Delta Savile... it was

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Moen 7175 (I think). It has the magnet feature so the head snaps back into place. About 220 in chrome, 258 in stainless (faucets.com); it lists for about 100 more. I wanted chunky not curvy. It is huge.

I paid only $50 service fee because I had an old Moen die on me. They mean it when they say "buy it for life". Good company.

• kay161
    12 years ago

epressler... can you tell me about your sink? Dimensions of each bowl? Maker? That's just what I'm looking for:-)
    wilder161@gmail.com

• kathec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm definitely going to check these out at my local stores if they have them.

• kathec
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for your recommendations!!!

I was seriously considering going with the Delta with Touch 2 O for the convenience and not having to clean up all the drips, but I wasn't in love with any of the styles. I think I would have paid the extra $$$ if the any of the available styles caught my fancy.

I ended up buying the Moen Lindley in the stainless. I bought it because I love the style and also it's availability. I couldn't even find the Delta Savile around here.

I decided not to wait to purchase online especially when I realized that DH had a 3 day weekend and will hopefully have it installed this weekend (Yay!!).

My kitchen is a mix of vintage and traditional. My drawer handles are ORB, but I have a couple of stainless appliances and a vintage Chambers range with lots of chrome. I felt I wasn't locked into any particular hardware color. I vacillated at the store between the bronze and stainless, but we have very hard water here and I knew it would be a constant battle with keeping the finish looking nice. The stainless is lighter, so the white stains shouldn't be so obvious.

• carnivore
    12 years ago

Wach out for the faucets at Home Depot and Lowes. Many of them are plasic construction with metal-"look" finishes and they're absolute garbage.

I needed to replace a kitchen tap in a pinch last year and got a Moen Dorsey at one of those big box stores, and I absolutely hate it. In fact it's leaking from around the pullout hose already and about to go in the trash as I'm updating things again. I refuse to use another plastic tap.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Call Moen. They know how to please you if you got a dud. They guarantee their product.

• carnivore
    12 years ago

I don't care if Moen guarantees the product, the point is it feels like lightweight plastic junk, because it is. Even with the counterweight on the hose it lacks any feeling of heft or quality. The swivel doesn't even stay in place once you move it into the position you want, that's how lightweight it is.

I bought it for exactly the reason you stated, our regular plumber once told me he likes Moen because they'll replace parts forever if you call them. But I don't want to keep replacing parts on what is clearly a cheap quality product that's not even very nice to begin with.

Maybe Moen sells some better products through actual plumbing stores, I don't know. But all the stuff I see in Loews and Home Depot seems to be low-end plastic stuff, whether from Moen or the other manufacturers.

• LMM170
    12 years ago

We love our Waterstone faucet. Our last faucet felt cheap and light weight. We had to replace the hose several times. As soon as we opened the box and picked up the faucet we knew this one was different. Wow... It was so heavy we had to weight it. I think it was about 10 pounds. This baby is solid brass. Even our plumber was dumbfounded. He said he had never seen such a well made faucet. It is expensive, but the utility on a daily basis has us convinced we made a wise investment. It took some doing to convince my husband to pay so much for a faucet. I held my breath as we opened the box. He was like a child Christmas morning. He paraded around the house with the faucet talking to it like it was his best friend. When friends visit it is the first thing he shows them. He is even doing the dishes! Not sure how long that will last, but so far so good. Wish I had one of these years ago, ha. Even my daughter loves to do the dishes. The only down side is the price we paid to have it installed. Are you kidding? It took all of 5 minutes. I need to change careers.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Waterstone faucet

• squashcasserole
    12 years ago

I love my Kohler Simplice. It comes in many finishes and two sizes. I think I got it from amazon for a very good price.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

LMM170Wow!
    I am so excited to hear feedback on the Waterstone as we will be ordering our Waterstone faucet next week!
    It was hard to find reviews - but you are right - it is very well made and quite a heavy faucet.

I saw the new Waterstone classic PLP while in Pennsylvania visiting my mother. My frugal mother talked me into going with the Waterstone - but going with the Parche series PLP as our kitchen will be more transitional/contemporary (not crazy contemp). My budget was more in the $300-400 range.

Which one did you install? Did you get a soap dispenser.
    You can contact me off line - I opened up my email.

Now for a great story - My 85 year old mother and I were leaving the ktichen store and I saw someone in a hooded sweatshirt running fast but not swinging his arms (like he was holding something). Then I heard someone yell - give me back my purse.
    So, I left my mother in the ally and tackled the perp - OK - not quite so dramatic - I helped my mother into the car and then called 911. Based on my description and which way the perp ran, they did capture him!!

We can make a difference!

Thanks!

• jgs7691
    12 years ago

We have the kohler simplice in vibrant stainless (matches other brushed nickel finishes). We love it -- it has the single pull-down, "pause" button (which I use when I pull my faucet over to fill the Keurig water tank), nice long hose, easy clean finish, etc. There is a smaller version (bar/sink vesion), as well.The picture in the link shows it with the base, but we installed it with the single-hold installation, so we don't use the base plate. We also turned it around, so that the lever is on the left, as I am right-handed, and find that I hold items to fill with my right hand, and work the lever with my left hand. I would highly recommend the Simplice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Simplice Faucet

• Marvin Forssander-Baird
    12 years ago

I worked for Delta Faucets for a considerable time. Many plumbing stores and plumbers will have you believe their product is superior when, in fact, it is not. Big box stores buy in larger bulk at larger discount, thus the lower prices. Occasionally, some of these stores will have certain models made for them to sell exclusively. At Delta, the quality of those store exclusive faucets was the same, however, that may be different for other companies.

When it comes to pullout and pulldown faucets, the large majority of the pullout wands are made of plastic. This is for a variety of reasons. Were it to be made of metal, in many cases, it would be too heavy to remain in place properly and there would be constant danger of it falling into the sink and damaging dishes, glassware and possibly the sink itself.

Many faucets are now being constructed with PEX water lines and cartridge valves that translate to a lighter faucet in the box, but more durability in the long run.

There are many things to consider and it can be awfully mind boggling to wade through them. I would call the company and ask why their product is superior. Why should I choose your product? Trust me, as a former customer service representative, this will pull the rug from beneath the person on the phone and you will usually get an honest answer.

The one thing that I rarely pay attention to-----online reviews. Most people have nothing to say unless it is something bad and when it comes to faucets, you would be surprised how many common issues are caused by installation error.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

My previous faucet was 8 years old, a Kohler or Delta from HD we had bought for about $150. Considered to be their upper end. It was no comparison to our new faucet, a KWC. I bought it on a closeout this summer so I don't think you can buy that particular model anymore. My husband was skeptical until he picked it up--definitely made of metal.

Our KWC has a separate sprayer and it too has a heft to it, and the hose is so much more substantial. Both the faucet and the sprayer work great; the big change is the sprayer which works amazingly better.

• rbpdx
    12 years ago

I got the Delta Velino from amazon. Took forever to decide as well, would love the touch2o but it's such a new technology I think I would hold off.

• Vivian Kaufman
    12 years ago

We've had a Grohe in our kitchen for the last 10 years. Love it. We also have a Grohe faucet and shower valve/head in our newer bathroom.

If I ever have to replace another faucet, I'll be going right back to the Grohe stuff. Their customer service was excellent when we had a leaky connection between the facet head and the hose. We had even purchased the faucet off of eBay, not from a regular retailer, and they made sure that it was right.

• mystremom
    12 years ago

LMM170 & a2gemini, pls e-mail me regarding your experience with your Waterstone faucets. I'd love to hear more about them...which models, did you order directly through Waterstone, how long you've had them, pros/cons, etc. Thanks so much.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

My Grohe Bridgeford in chrome about $345 from Home Perfect online. It doesn't have a stay on spray button which I don't find a liability and you must push it back in and give a little twist neither of which I find laborious but might be an issue for some. I love it but I think there would be others that I like just as much.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I have a Price Pfister.

Do I love it?
    No.

Do I like it?
    Yes, most definitely. It is pretty, funtional, economical
    and practical.

Would I buy it again?
    Yes, most definitely.

I had a PP before for 10 years pre-reno and that one
    worked fantastically so I stuck with the same brand.
    I embarrassed to say I chose my faucet based on the name.
    Of couse I wanted a single pull out, low profile, with
    spray adjustments. Simple but functional. I think it was
    about $50 bought from Lowes.

Parisa by Price Pfister.

I have had in previous homes, Delta, Grohe, American
    Standard (ugly as sin) and so far I have never had bad
    luck with faucets. I do think if you have hard water that
    may have an effect on longevity.

There are some beautiful faucets out there.
    here are a few.
    ~boxer

Grohe Bridgeford

sooooooooooooo pretty Moscato Symmons Faucet

Kholer

Brizol

waterstone

moen

Moen Vestige

Pegasus Grohe