Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gem_cap

How do you store your ladles and large spoons?

Gemcap
9 years ago

One place in my kitchen that is always untidy and higgledy-piggledy is the drawer where I store my large spoons and ladles.

Could you please share how do you store your ladles and large spoons? Please post pictures if you can.

Many thanks

Comments (18)

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I have a small buffet in my dining room, and it has a top drawer that is divided. On one side is three large slots meant for service utensils. I keep my ladles and serving spoons there.

I also have two drawers in my kitchen- one for metal cooking utensils, including some spoons, and one for "safe for nonstick cookware", and that has wooden spoons, rubber spatulas, silicone cooking spoons.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I built dividers in my utensil drawer. I laid everything out, and drew out the sizes I wanted for each group of things. A year and a half later, it still looks like this! I used Lee Valley brackets and bought wood at the lumber yard; there are also places that make custom drawer inserts.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The items like the long slotted spoon and slotted spatula (used mostly for plating, not for cooking) on the left in ann's picture are kept in half of a top (shallow) drawer - shared with spices. The smaller items that I use while cooking (wooden spoons, whisk, plastic spatulas) I keep in a canister to the left of the cooktop.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I have a utensil crock next to the stove for cooking spoons and ladles. My servingware is kept with the rest of the silverware.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

If they are used for cooking, there are tossed willy nilly in a utensil drawer next to my cooktop.

If they are strictly for serving, they are in a divided utensil drawer in the buffet in the dining room.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have 2 pressed metal containers with Fleur-de-lis on them that sit on either side of my stove and hold the larger items like ladels, flippers, spaghetti scoops, and that kind of stuff. Every thing else that fits reasonably well in the drawer next to the stove is kept there, not necessarily neatly.
    I am not sure what the containers were meant to be but they work great for this. I did use, before I found these, a tall metal container with wooden handles that are meant to hold fresh cut flowers. You can see them often in flower shops. French flower market buckets similar to this.

Here is a link that might be useful: French bucket

This post was edited by ravencajun on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 15:27

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

same as Texas-Gem.....

crock for large spoons, spatulas,....
    serving spoons, with silverware....

i did buy all my large spoons etc with thin SS handles so i can fit more and makes it easier to get them in & out...i think AMCO is the brand. found them home goods and reading china & glass....some brands have big hand areas that it takes up so much room in the crock & it makes it hard to get them in the crock, so annoying. a pet peeve of mine....
    big handles will also take up more room in the drawer.....

• Mistman
    9 years ago

Yepper, coolio old crock full of long handled "stuff". We have nothing really matchy, matchy, I just buy what I like when I see it and cram it in the crock beside the range. Ladles, spoons, spatulas, whisks etc., all in the crock. My knife block is right next to it and the drawer below is full of knives also (DW is a meat cutter and we like good knives). Only things I don't really keep in the crock are the tongs, bigger spatulas and specialty utensils. Directly in front of the range is a long drawer in the island with those and the rest of the "stuff". I tend to not like the big handled things so I can fit quite a few in the crock. Besides a couple big SS spoons and ladles (industrial) by far my fav are wooden, seems I break them w/regularity but usually have a stock of them in the pantry.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I keep mine in a vintage sugar canister like this one, next to the stove

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Large stainless utensils and wooden spoons in crocks around cooktop.

Serving pieces including wooden salad servers in divided drawer with everyday silverware.

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

Wooden spoons, ladles, spatulas, oven mitts are stored higgledy-piggledy in the drawer beside the stove. Probably not the best, but I don't like seeing them on the counter.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Wooden spoons, rubber spatulas, ladles, flippers, etc are in a divided drawer. I bought the divider insert from Bed, Bath and Beyond. It is expandable and has larger sections than what you use in your utensil drawer. It is perfect for me.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I use a terra cotta strawberry jar, never employed for its intended use, as a holder for my wooden and bamboo tools, as well as the SS ladles, spiders, and slotted spoons.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Ice bucket that was hardly ever used for chilling wine (prefer red...) for metal & plastic spoons, ladles, spatulas.
    All wooden spoons in old, tall & skinny copper jug (used to measure milk in old days - brought from Europe).
    Few that don't fit in or are used seldom are in a drawer.

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 19:30

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Mine are stored on the counter in a repurposed wooden brewery box. It's divided into six sections, so perfect for holding them in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I have a shallow drawer directly under my cooktop. I had Woodhollow make an insert for it and my utensils live there.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

For metal and plastic ladles, spatulas, spoons, whisks, etc., I use the gemcap, errant and sherri58 method. The wooden utensils are kept in an old, tarnished, silverplated pitcher by the stove, in case they aren't completely dry when put away.

This post was edited by mama_goose on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 20:15

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource