Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busybme

I'm stumped...please help!

busybme
15 years ago

We are undertaking a major 3-phase remodel/addition to our home and I hadn't planned on doing anything more to the kitchen than giving it a facelift (new appliances, counters, sinks, etc). But now my plan looks like it under-utilizes the space that I have: would you please take a look?

As part of the remodel, I am removing some walls and will lose 2 large pantries but will be making up the lost space with a large butler-style pantry in the hall (shown on the plan across from the stairs). Not as convenient, but more storage overall, being 5'7" x 6'10+".

What I would like to have: family dining for at least 4, micro/wall oven combo, larger island, with bar seating if possible. Also, my husband is missing his bar area from our last house and it would be nice if we could incorporate that 'adult' storage somewhere (perhaps near the family room?)

I'm not a big fan of ovens next to fridges but would consider it. I can bump into the family room or dining room if necessary, although I would prefer not to. Currently, there is a wall seperating the family room from the kitchen with only a door-width opening near the end of the cabinet run shown below. Should I keep some of that wall for cabinets?

I really can't imagine losing anymore storage in the kitchen. As it is, I will be pinched, as I am sacrificing 2 upper cabinets along the family room wall in order to open that up to the kitchen. I was hoping to compensate by adding organizers/inserts into the current cabinets to better use their space.

We are trying to keep the costs down by mainting the current locations for sink and range. And also utilizing the current cabinetry (medium cherry) as much as possible, although we would love to incorporate some antiques white into the room. The plan is to do hardwood floors throughout the spaces shown, with the exception of the powder room, which will be tile. The little niche in the breakfast area was planned to hold a hutch (we will have to move a wall to get that niche).

The photo below shows my planned space:

I've been hooked to GW for almost a year now, reading and learning and being inspired! But, now that we are about to begin phase 1, which will be taking down some of the walls, I'm concerned about the end result.

Please offer your thoughts and advice!!

Thanks! Sandy

Comments (12)

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I got a photobucket error when I tried to click on your photo to see it larger.

I can't make out too much on the small photo but it does look like the whole right side of your kitchen area is just open pass through type space and might underutilize the square footage.

Anita

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

That is its size.

Can you please repost your picture in photobucket with a larger size? Around somewhere around closer to 800 x 600? We can't read the writing or measurements.

• busybme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my...sorry for the tiny pic. It looked bigger when I previewed my post.

How's this?

• busybme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can I bump myself without looking desperate? :)

• sailormann
    15 years ago

You might want to consider doing something like this. I think that in your space you might get more use out of the peninsula rather than an island. Putting the range on the peninsula would allow you to get a showstopping hood that could be a real focal point.

It would also let you make the entire wall against the family room into a real architectural piece...

{{gwi:1583887}}

• busybme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, sailormann, thanks for the idea and the nice rendering! I hadn't thought of moving the range to a peninsula, mainly because we are trying to have the appliances stay put and reuse the current cabinets.

Boy, I'd love to have a hutch wall like that, though! I could even build-in the liquor/wine storage there...hmmmmm.

Anyone else? Do you think that the traffic area leading to the hall and family room should be left as-drawn?

Sandy

• claybabe
    15 years ago

It really does seem like a VERY large hall area on the right, but if you don't want to redo at least some of the cabinets, or can't add too many, better utilization may be tough. How about letting the TKO'd here figure out an ideal layout, and then try to figure out how to accomplish that (there is usually a way). I like sailormann's idea, and Bmore has already nibbled, so I'll bet there are some good ideas stewing around. Also, a recent thread here showed very clever re-use of old cabs with a very different layout (they were seriously clever), so don't give up on reuse just because the layout is different...

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Just to spark comments.
    {{gwi:1583889}}

So, this gives a better kitchen to outdoors flow and a better integration of prep, cooking and people. It is not even close to perfection as far as the ref placement and I'd maybe look at inexpensive drinks ref for da bar or near the cleanup sink. Hopefully it'll spark some better thoughts.

To think seriously about cabinet re-use, we'd need a list of what cabinets exist...

• fondantfancy
    15 years ago

What I would be tempted to do is this:

- Open up to the family room completely
    - add one or two cabinets next to the prep sink to narrow down the "corridor"
    - make this counter double width so you can have bar seating (with perhaps some extra storage underneath
    -then remove your island and replace it with a "kitchen table"

I know the trend is to have an island, but if you have the peninsular you don't need it, and a kitchen table in the middle of the kitchen frees up the space you have marked as breakfast area to put in some more sotage, perhaps dad's bar etc.

I tried to draw this out but my computer crashed twice so I gave up.

I admit I am looking at this with European eyes, but a table in the kitchen is so much more useful than a breakfast table, and it becomes the heart of the home.

• fondantfancy
    15 years ago

One other option:

Open up to family room with extended counter and bar as before.

Turn the island through 90 degrees and make it into a penisular, then put a banquette on the back of the penisular for the breakfast table. That way you would still have plenty of clearance next to the table to access the door, but you don't loose the storage, and you could in principal re-use your existing cabs.

Like this:

{{gwi:1583891}}

This is a bit like I am doing, I am having an island, but instead of bar seating on the opposite side I am having a banquette then a kitchen table.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Do you want bar seating and table seating? In our last house we did a peninsula with raised bar seating that angled into what is your breakfast space. That would give you bar seating, but wouldn't leave room for a table. I really like your plan (it seems to have decent paths and counter/workspace where it will be needed) and your pantry will hold SO much. The island could be 30"...It looks like it's 24"?

• busybme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for the big delay in getting back to everyone. We are having a snow day here and I miss my computer time when the kids are around. : )

What great ideas! Fondant, I am especially intrigued by your first post, but can't quite visualize it. If I took down the wall all the way to the fridge and removed my island (both of which are pretty easy to do) what would we do with the big space?

Also, after bmore's post yesterday I went through the whole evening imagining flipping my kitchen and bfast area....way too much to add on to this remodel but I stood in my kitchen dreaming of what the space could be. Maybe fondant's idea can help me stretch into the bfast area with out moving the mechanicals?

I probably could reverse the swing of the door into the outdoor living if need be.

The windows in the bfast area are large and low to the floor, just 24.5" to their trim fyi.

And, rhome, I would really love bar AND table seating. We are big on family mealtime at the table but would like the bar seating for snacks and projects for my girls and hangout space for others when entertaining.

We are awaiting permits to begin phase 1 so I have a bit of time, since the kitchen area will be mostly a diy add-on to the contractors big work (taking down the walls, etc.).

Oh, I am so happy that you all have given me a helping hand with this! It is REALLY opening up my mind to other possibilities.

Sandy