Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Refining my layout

crl_
9 years ago

Happy New Year!

I'm working on refining my layout for our upcoming kitchen remodel. I'm linking my previous layout thread, which dealt only with the lowers.

A bit of background: the kitchen is in a 1926 French Revival house. It currently mostly orginal and I'd like to preserve the swing door between the kitchen and dining room, the ironing board cupboard turned spice cabinet, and the orginal site built Hoosier style cabinets. Moving the exterior door is a no-go because it creates exterior facade problems. We plan to put new bigger windows over the entire upper wall of the main sink run.

There is also an awning window on the exterior wall immediately adjacent to the secondary sink (and next to the exterior door) shown in the plan below. I recognize that the secondary sink is in a less than ideal location for a prep sink, but I'm envisioning it more as a kid handwashing sink and a pot filler/dumping place than as a true prep sink.

Here's the current base cabinet layout:

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread on layout

Comments (26)

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the orginal built-in cabinets that I mentioned above that I want to save. The counter pulls out. I plan to paint them blue and have the rest of the cabinetry be white.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not much of an artist, but I have used some graph paper to try to show what I'm thinking for the upper cabinets.

I would really like to have a wall mounted pot rack, but I have struggled with how to do that without leaving the vent hood looking awkward. I plan on a wood front slide out vent hood. I have drawn all the upper cabinets to be the same height as the vent hood--so thirty inches of backsplash.

On the refrigerator wall, above the speed oven, I have drawn a single open shelf for frequently used glasses. This is shown below.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And then on the range wall, I have drawn a utensil bar to the left of the range underneath the upper cabinets. And to the right of the range, I have drawn no upper cabinets at all. Instead I am picturing a wall mounted pot rack with a shelf. And to the right of that, above the secondary sink, I have a new heath ceramic wall clock.

Feedback much appreciated!

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anyone? Thanks!

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

I'm not a layout expert, but I would sacrifice the second sink if that's the only place it fits. My kids would bust on through that door when I was at the sink filling a pot. Or they would stand there washing hands, blocking the door. I don't see how that improves function in the kitchen at all.

Love your built-ins, and would definitely sacrifice a sink to keep them.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Your pictures are all upside down or sideways - can you rotate them and post them directly from a photo-hosting site rather than using the GardenWeb iimage option? Yes, they appear to be correctly oriented when you open them in separate windows, but it's much easier to review them when you can view them together.

if you don't know how to do this, please check out the posting pictures FAQ at: FAQ: How do I post pictures?

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I really like those built ins too. :)

That secondary sink is a puzzle. Someone kindly drew it in the corner where the speed oven now is on one variation in my previous layout thread and moved the range closer to the exterior door. But I hate working in kitchen corners and that would be a bad location for kid handwashing. I like the by the door location for washing hands (and other things like kid paint brushes) before the kids get really inside the house. I'm not concerned about them blocking the door as they are the ones mostly using the door. And with that sink on the same wall as the range it would reduce dripping/hot pot transportation across the kitchen. The door does present something of a conflict though. Much of the cooking use would be after dark when the kids are inside already for the day, though that would be more true in winter than in summer.

The alternative I have considered is putting in a very big double main sink with two faucets in same spot as the main sink is currently shown. I'm just not sure how much that would help in terms of keep the kids out of my way while handwashing, etc. And it would be substantially less useful for pot filling and dumping. And, it would eat into the counter space on that sink run.

Of course, it could always be eliminated entirely. But a less than ideally located secondary sink seems better to me than none at all as one of my annoyances with my current set up is the kids and dh washing hands right when I'm trying to finish up drinks and such to get a meal on the table.

Any other feedback? It is much appreciated! Any thoughts on how the upper cabinets would look as I have tried to illustrate them? Will the bit over the range look odd with no cabinet to the right of it? I can't figure out how else to get a decent sized wall mounted pot rack otherwise.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beuhl, I have read that before. More than once. And tried to follow, but it has never worked for me, despite trying more than one hosting site and spending some considerable time on the project. I suspect that it would go better if I were working on a computer rather than an iPad. Of course the images appear correctly on my screen. I am sorry they do not for everyone. And I certainly understand if anyone prefers to skip helping out because it is too difficult.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

I can understand wanting a sink for the purposes you mention. It doesn't take up a lot of prime real estate so even if it doesn't get used as often as you envision, it won't be huge loss. (It sounds like it will be used though! Especially with that handy dandy pullout step stool!)
    I perused your pictures last night but I was too tired to post. I like the look of what you have drawn. it looks like it will function very well. Just occurred to me, is there any way to have the areas on either side of the range match? Like have a shorter upper mounted higher up and the utensil rail and pot rack underneath at the same level on both sides? You might not want an upper over your small sink, but if it's mounted higher than normal you would still have room for a clock. (I love kitchen clocks, btw, smart to plan one in!)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Just for the record, the images appear correctly on my ipad.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nancyjwb, thank you!

There is a window next to the exterior door on the wall by the location shown for the secondary sink. So I can't run uppers all the way across. But there would be room for one upper cabinet to the right of the range. Do you think a short cabinet with pot rack underneath would look less awkward than putting a shelf and pot rack there? I hadn't thought of that. Dh might like that suggestion as well because he is intent on maximizing storage (while I'm thinking but I don't want to give up having a pot rack!).

I'm linking my wall clock, just for fun. It is from heath ceramics, which is not too far from me, and the most money I have ever spent on a piece of art. I grabbed it when it was briefly in stock right before Christmas as it is a limited run and seems to be out of stock more often than not.

Sjhockeyfan, thanks! I'm glad you can see the pictures correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath ceramics clock

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

Yes I forgot you mentioned the window. I'm not sure how that will look with one upper and then nothing, it could look okay. It might depend on the shape and size of your window. I've found it helpful (and kinda fun) to draw up detailed elevations on graph paper like you had earlier. I just thought it might look nice to have the two racks, utensil and pot, line up on either side. I really think it would work as you had it drawn earlier, too.
    Your clock is really gorgeous! Im a little envious:)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Love the clock and love, oh, make that LOVE!!!!! the wall of original cabinets. Don't do anything to harm them or I'll have to haunt you.

Also love the built-in step stool. While the location of the sink is a bit unusual, it sounds like you've thought through the way your family lives and that it is a good option. Since it doesn't take up much space, I think you should go for it. I'd get a very small sink though. If the small sink is too small for your biggest pots to fit in order to fill them, considering putting in one of those articulating faucets that could be used for hand washing or pot filling.

I agree with nancyjwb that a short cabinet placed high with pot rack under might look more congruent with the rest of your space. Just curious, why do you want a pot rack so bad? I had one once due to space limitations for pot storage but I think, unless you're having some beautiful copper pots or something else eye-catching, that hidden pot storage is better. It keeps the pots clean between uses and makes your kitchen look bigger and cleaner without that jumble hanging there. Of course, something like that is subjective and there's no right or wrong way to do it. And it might look quite lovely and fit the mood created by those fantastic, no, make that FANTASTIC original cabinets.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind words and feedback!

Why a potrack? It's a functional issue for me. I have lived with a lot of kitchens because we have moved a lot. And I have always been happiest with a potrack for pot storage. I find myself annoyed at having to open a cabinet or a drawer to dig out a pot.

I measured and an 18 inch cabinet would just fit on top of the existing awning window. So I drew an elevation showing two cabinets to the right of the range. They might be best opening up? And would only be accessible using a step stool. (Ironically that's essentially what is in that space right now, though it is currently part of the laundry room. And I find those cabinets a bit of a nuisance because they are so inaccessible). On paper it looks a bit less awkward I think. But in real life staring at that bit of my laundry room I am concerned that it feels closed in. Of course after the remodel that wall would be in a much bigger room as it would be part of the kitchen.

Just a bit more on the secondary sink. I am thinking I would have a custom cutting board made to fit into the sink so it could be inserted to sit flush and used as part of the counter. I would have the faucet installed to the back right corner so it could swing mostly out of the way (a Kohler Karbon would be ideal in this spot, but may be out of budget--if so I would do a pull out). So in practice it could function as mostly part of the countertop as needed.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just in case anyone is interested, the link below shows a really well planned prep sink, from which I am stealing some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW prep sink inspiration

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

Your latest drawing looks good to me. In real life I hope it doesn't feel too looming over the sink and window.
    Thanks for the link. That is a really neat setup!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I feel like nancyjwb's echo. Like the drawing with the cabinets better than just the pot rack and thanks for the prep sink link. Our small kitchen remodel will have a small prep sink and I think some of those ideas will be perfect.

Thanks for explaining why you want a pot rack. It's one of those interesting how we're all different types of things. I love tossing into a drawer, lol.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that prep sink so I'm happy to show it again. Isn't it clever?

Thank you so much for all the feedback!

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

That upside picture thing seems to be some kind of gardenweb problem. If you click the pic for an expanded view, it's rotate itself to the correct orientation.

Couple of things - all have to do with actual reality which is different than flat drawings.

Having the 2nd sink jammed into a right-hand corner means that it will be very uncomfortable for right-handed people (unless they don't have an elbow) plus a person using the sink will block the exterior entrance/exit. Most children have elbows. Most children are unreliable when it comes to things like pushing back in a step stool.

The speed oven will make reaching beyond it into the corner a bit difficult - it's depth will prevent you from being able to reach over the counter. If possible trade the 2nd sink and the oven. I would be very tempted to place a corner base or a lemans blind corner instead of the vertical storage for a base unit. You'd fit a bunch more stuff in that corner and be able to reach it.

On the clean up side, I'd be tempted to trade the dishwasher and the trash pull out so the 2nd doorway wasn't blocked while doing dishes.

Oh the whole, I think I'd try the ref, speed oven and cleanup on the "L" side with cooking and prep on the straight run. That would give the kids a usable sink, access to dishes and drinks and the micro for easy breakfast/lunch/snack making.

This is NOT a criticism, but make sure your choices of how to "spend" your kitchen space fit your priorities both now and a bit into the future. (looking at the broom closet)

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have done a lot of thinking about the lower cabinet corner and concluded that dead space is preferable to me to all of the solutions I have used and seen online. Below is one of the many GW threads on the topic.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the depth of the speed oven.

I don't think I could in good conscience put an oven in a doorway. If the sink is problematic because of conflicting with the exterior door, the oven seems hazardous to me.

The speed oven could potentially go in the main sink run--though that run is not standard depth so I'm not absolutely sure it would fit. That might be a good location for its microwave function, especially for kid access.

I think I would prefer no secondary sink to one in the corner. That puts the kids right in the middle of the kitchen, walking past the range, to wash hands, etc.

The dishwasher is placed on that side because I prefer to load a dishwasher on the right of a sink, and the current left side location has been nagging at me a bit. The doorway between the breakfast nook and the kitchen is seldom used. The breakfast nook is primarily used as a kid art room and usually accessed from it's other entry off the foyer. So blocking that doorway isn't as big of a deal as it might seem on paper. (This also puts the trash on the left of the sink closer to the exterior door--an admittedly minor advantage.) I will give some thought to moving the dishwasher back over to the left though.

Thank you for the feedback!

Here is a link that might be useful: GW thread with calculations on corner solutions.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

Having so many people critique your choice of a second sink in the corner is probably a good thing, because it forces you to reconsider and think of your families habits over and over. If you still think it will be useful after all of the negative feedback on it, it probably will be! Just something that crossed my mind. You know your family better than anyone:)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I just want to add, in our first kitchen remodel (1986) the KD designed it and we didn't know any better (that came with out second remodel - 2005 - and GW LOL!). and we ended up with the main sink and dishwasher directly across from the island (horrible) but even worse a "prep" sink at the end of the U as far from where we actually prepped as you could be and still be in the kitchen. Despite the fact that we had that kitchen for 20 years, we NEVER used that sink (if you leave out the time my then 2-year old very helpfully (snort) washed my camera for me!).

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

Just to be clear, it's about right-handed people using a sink that is smack up against a right-hand wall. There is no place for elbows when washing hands or anything else like a paint brush.

If you have a pull out step-up stool under that sink and a child pulls it out and then forgets to put it back, it's more than possible that the step itself would prevent the exterior door from opening at all. If that is the door you normally use, it might be an issue.

Speed ovens are at least 18" deep and some are deeper. It's just difficult to reach around them into a corner between the depth of the oven and its handles stopping you shoulders and the opposing countertop stopping your hips. You sort of end up with your face pressed against the oven door and reaching blindly towards the right.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still not following the issue with the depth of the speed oven. It is meant to be installed in the lower cabinet and is designed to install flush. How am I going to end up with my face pressed against the speed oven when it is underneath the counter? (Bosch allows the under counter installation--I know the Advantium does not).

Thanks everyone!

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

Cause I assumed it was higher - making that my fault.

When its lower, BOTH SIDES of the corner must have a 3" filler to allow the doors/drawers of both the oven and the opposing base units to operate without running into the handles on the other side. "flush" is a relative term in ovens and sometimes refers to the body of the unit but not the door or handle if there is one.

I'm not familiar with that oven, but some bosch oven doors are hinged on the side and some have hinges on the bottom. I think that hinges on the left side of the oven door would not work out well. Without seeing the oven in person, I'd also have some concern about the open door opening wide enough to be able to get the racks in and out if the hinges are on the right side.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I was so confused!

The Bosch opens down. There's a little play in the broom closet and refrigerator space. And the Bosch also comes in a 27 inch. So I'm not too worried about fitting it into that space.