Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alihoopla

bar stool question

Alihoopla
12 years ago

I am choosing between two bar stools of similar design. They are both backless.

I prefer the rustic look of one.

The other is of similar design, but has a round seat and swivel.

I love stools that swivel.

However, the bar stool that has the look that appeals to me most, has a square seat and does not swivel. The reviews of this bar seat say that it is very comfortable, so the square shape does not bother me.

I just wonder which I will regret more, not having the look that appeals to me most, or not having the swivel function.

If anyone cares to check out the two options, here are the links:

The following is the one that I think looks the coolest:

http://www.calvines.com/Stave_Stool_with_Leather_Seat_p/ws-2dd-wvls-1.htm

The following is the one that is similar, but swivels:

http://www.calvines.com/Swivel_Stool_With_Leather_Seat_p/ws-2dd-163.htm

Does the second stool look far more modern and almost ice-cream parlor like, or is that just me?

Thanks for any input!

Comments (9)

• Alihoopla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a link with both stools on the same page, the stools I like are the ones with the cushions...unless anyone can tell me that cushions are not the way to go?
    Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: stools

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

So, these two?

• Alihoopla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting those!

• summerbabies
    12 years ago

I LOVE the stave stools (on the left)--they look really unique, as well as comfortable!

Just curious, though--what made you choose backless? I wanted really modern stools for our new kitchen, but DH said we had to get comfortable ones with a back. He was right, because we entertain fairly frequently, and people spend HOURS in those chairs.

• Alihoopla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Summerbabies, one reason we were not going to go with seats with baks was that I had searched some of this site and heard that some people had trouble with swivel backs bumping into the countertops. Another reason was just considering our space, I thought the backs would make the chairs seem larger and consume more space. I know my husband wants to tuck them under the island ledge when they are not in use, and I was thinking the appearances of the backs sticking out might bother him. He is very into wanting as much space as possible.
    However, maybe I need to look more into it, I like comfort and the backs would be far more comfy for a long sitting time.

• summerbabies
    12 years ago

Our six chairs fit under the countertop. Only the tops show. Our island has a curve on one side. There are currently two cherry stools tucked under the curve. I also have two smaller black leather non-swiveling chairs flanking the bar. When needed, we put them around the island, so we can seat 10. Twelve if we use two other stools from our old bar. People definitely prefer the chairs with backs.

Haven't had any trouble with the swivel back bumping into the countertop. DD tried swiveling but has stopped after being asked to refrain. :-) The chairs I have are very thickly padded.

The link is to the chairs that I have. I don't think they will go with your kitchen, but there are many other styles and colors out there.

I can also post pictures of my stools and the two different chairs, if you like. The non-swiveling bar stools are much less obtrusive.

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen stools

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I agree with summerbabies' husband that back make the bar stools more comfortable. That really is guests' first choice of places to sit. On the other hand, it's a very different look than a stool that tucks under the counter.

On the swivelers bumping into the counter, we came up with this:

It's a little acrylic stick-on we got at HD. Works for us.

• Alihoopla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful stools suzannnes1 and summerbabies! The acrylic stick-on is pretty cool!

• SiMBa37
    12 years ago

I'm not sure if this suggestion is too contemporary for you, but the hottest barstool that you'll see on dozens of photos in HOUZZ.COM is the LEM Piston Stool

The original one from Design within Reach is $900:
    DWR LEM Piston Stool

But there are lots of cheaper, well made reproductions:
    Amazon.com LEM Piston Stool