Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Penny Round Tile??

Posted by perplexedinny (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 10:57

Has anyone used penny round tile for a backsplash. I'm under the impression it's a bear to install. Any thoughts or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Penny Round Tile??

We didn't use penny rounds for a backsplash, but they are what we used on our powder room floor. It's the only material in our addition that we wouldn't choose again if we had to start over. It was VERY hard for our contractors to install. Our tile came on sheets a little less than a foot square and it was extremely hard to get it positioned so that you couldn't tell where the sheets met. Also, because the tiles are so tiny (and round), the grout-to-tile ratio is pretty high. I'm not sure I'd want that much grout in a backsplash. I can tell you that it's nearly impossible to keep the powder room floor looking clean. Penny rounds are charming, but difficult. Hope this helps.

o

We used it on our entry floor and love it...However, it does scootch around and it is more difficult to line up than I guessed ahead of time. I would think it would be super challenging to put on a vertical surface.

o

Thanks for the feedback. Your comments have been helpful as you've pretty much confirmed my worries. I appreciate you both taking the time to post!! On to the next backsplash idea...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here