Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marybeth1_gw

Can I get your opinion on granite options please?

15 years ago

Well I went to the granite yard and viewed slabs I will probably go back again this weekend to view again. It was overwhelming and tiring because I don't get around too well. Anyway here's some photo,s of what I liked. I am going for I guess a warm classic look. Thanks!

Giallo Napoleon

{{gwi:1583339}}

Colonial Gold

{{gwi:1583340}}

{{gwi:1583341}}

New Venetian Gold (I don't have photo of this slab)

Comments (28)

• 15 years ago

It's a toss up for me between the typhoon bordeaux and the Colonial Gold. Those slabs are very similar in color, but the bordeaux has more movement. Personally I LOVE the movement in the bordeaux and would select that one.

• 15 years ago

Definitely the typhoon bordeaux as my first choice but I am partial. I have that in our guest bathroom and absolutely love it. I happen to love the movement! We also get many compliments on it. The second choice would be Colonial Gold. Hope this helps!

• 15 years ago

Cindy and kahlanne Typhoon Bordeaux was DH favorite. I think it is a beautiful stone but I was afraid it was too buzy. Do you think it is classic enough?

• 15 years ago

I'd choose the Typhoon Bordeaux in a heartbeat . . . that's a beautiful slab!

Arlene

• 15 years ago

Another fan of the typhoon bordeaux, definitely not too busy! Gorgeous!

• 15 years ago

Fabulous slab of Typhoon Bordeaux - I think it would be stunning with your other kitchen choices.

Janet

• 15 years ago

Typhoon Bordeaux - I personally love the busy-ness and how it looks with your cabinets.

• 15 years ago

Another vote for TB.

What are you meaning by "classic"? That's a rather vague / general term.

• 15 years ago

I like the typhoon bordeaux the best and the colonial gold as a second best.

• 15 years ago

pbrisjar, I guess I mean that my tastes tend to be more traditional but I also admire other styles. I want something I can live with for a long time. It took me 8 years to get DH to to this I know I'll have it for awhile.

• 15 years ago

I'm also in favor of the TB, with the colonial gold coming in second. Both look great with your cab colors.

• 15 years ago

my vote is for colonial gold - but you can't go wrong. the TB is beautiful as well, it just depends on your desire for movement.

Here is a picture of New Venetian - but it brushed

• 15 years ago

I'm joining in with the others. I like the Typhoon Bordeaux best and the Colonial Gold next. They have movement, but not so much as to be overwhelming or get tiresome. I think they would look more 'specially chosen' than the other 2.

• 15 years ago

If it's a small space where the big swirls won't get a lot of play, I'd go with the first one. If you have an island or a large enough spot to show it off, TB.

They will all work well, and if you can't decide, go ahead and let DH pick! (Especially as his choice has been approved here...teehee)

• 15 years ago

I have granite with movement (quite a bit of it). One of the things that I absolutely love about it is that I never get tired of it as there is always something new to "discover".

What is your reaction to the two? Back when we were looking, I received what I believe is excellent advice from a granite fabricator. She said that if the granite doesn't make you go "wow", doesn't make you smile, then keep looking. It's too big of an investment to do otherwise and there's not much you can do to alter a big hunk of stone.

If you go with quiet and neutral, you'll always feel neutral about it. If you go with something that makes your heart sing, it will do so every time you look at it.

At least that's how I see it.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses! Fori it is a small space only 10 x 16 with a small 54 inch island no overhang. Do you think it's too much movement for the small space? I definitely need to push myself outside my comfort zone I tend to play it too safe.But I also am working with a small space. Now I need to wait for the estimate on upgrade hope I don't choke on it.

• 15 years ago

I think that's a big enough area for the TB. It's not such a huge pattern, in spite of all that movement. The colonial I think would require a bigger spot to get the full effect of the movement so it would look sort of like hmm...you cut it off?

As far as busy goes, that's the beauty of a smaller space--you just can't be too busy! And these are all serene patterns, really.

• 15 years ago

Typhoon Bordeaux: but not that slab; and I like the Giallo Napoleon; that slab; ( you might like Colonial Gold also)

• 15 years ago

The TB... especially since you said you wanted a stone with warmth. I think it has the most warmth of all the choices. I do love stones with movement.

• 15 years ago

I think that both colonial gold and the typhoon bordeaux have the most movement and interest. However, that isn't your only consideration. Do you have a photo of your kitchen that you can post? Perhaps the forum would have a better idea of how to respond if they knew the amount of counter spacing, lighting and your style.

• 15 years ago

petra granite can I ask why not that stone? I really value your opinion. It's funny you say that about the Giollo Napoleon. I have seen it other places and walked right by but this caught my eye. Is there someting in the TB stone you don't like and that I should look for? Starbright my cabinets go in next week I will try to post then.

• 15 years ago

see down by the legs of the lady standing: there is a big crystal there that isn't consistant throughout the slab:
    If templates are laid well: then ok: but I have seen this many times: and they all look different.
    Key is do you really like it!
    I like the typhoon much! Color is an opinion. not my strong opinion. (slab looks a bit pale) could be camera.

(also it's what is available to you at the time: bundles I mean)
    simular: go see:
    http://www.levantinausa.com/Photo%20Gallery/Granite/Yellow-Golden/index.html

GOLDEN PERSA~ GIALLO BEACH~GOLDEN RIVER(WILD LOOKING)~Mascarello(WILD LOOKING)~GOLDEN JUPARANA ~
    TYPHOON (picture #244 & 249 & 276 LOOK IT UP at bottom of picture 244/500) ~ COLONIAL GOLD (#247) ~ GOLD AND SILVER~

http://www.levantinausa.com/Photo%20Gallery/Granite/Yellow-Golden/index.html

*please go to this: won't let you copy pictures or email them or post them: but it's a fun website: it's one of my vendors and they have an awesome website:
    It helps with the colors: and the differences and simularities. (no prices posted and I am not advertising: it's wholesale site anyways!)

*only posting site as a tool to help!

500 slabs in the "yellow-gold" family of natural stone!
    (new ven gold too boring : only my opinion!) not to hurt others view.

• 15 years ago

marybeth: in dallas
    new ven gld slab is about $10.50 sf + $550 slab : (maybe based on 115x65 est. out of brazil)
    TB slab is about $20 sf = $1100 per slab
    Giallo Napolean is about $13.50 sf = $700.00 slab
    Colonila Gold is about $14.50 sf = $750.00-800.00 slab (colonial gold is from India runs much bigger slab size: more money)

I hope that you get what you want.
    you only need one slab??? that would be great!
    You have to look at it every day! Get what you want! Go for it!

(My guest is that prices vary on slabs do to location: freight: competitive pricing for the area: ect from state to state)

**save money : do demo yourself and seal the stone yourself: sometimes installers charge extra for that. Work them! down on the fab and install pricing: cut outs as well! If they want your business! they will work with you! TB is an exotic! Work them! If you haven't given them money: they will still want to sign you.

• 15 years ago

Love the TB - even with the crystal. I like granite that has movement and interesting spots like crystals and opalescent areas. I think the Giallo is too uniform. I guess the Colonial Gold would be my second choice.
    good luck

• 15 years ago

petra granite THANK YOU so much for the info now I have something to go on. I am looking forward to viewing the website. Thanks again!

• 15 years ago

i am like you marybeth1 - i want to stay in my comfort zone but yet at the same time i want to be more daring.

the more you keep looking at the granite - the more you will appreciate the grains and the colors that are not consistant. in the end you have to live with it and be comfortable.

• 15 years ago

I like movement in granite, so I also vote for TB. I have something called Golden Oak which has similar colors, but a different movement pattern.

Since you did such a good job picking a color family, any of those granites will look good with your cabinets.

• 15 years ago

TB is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! I absolutly love that-- what are your cabinets (maker and color) we are in the process of picking too!