Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriedale

Kitchen faucet recommendations, please!

carriedale
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster... (although sure to be the first of many now that we've begun the path towards kitchen renovation!)

I need help finding a kitchen faucet. Looking for a pull-out sprayer with one handle. The problem I'm finding is that many of these sorts of faucets, which look very attractive online, feel very cheap in person. Particularly the sprayer portion. Which has made me leery of buying online, sight unseen - and unfortuantely, I'm finding very few options above and beyond Home Depot to get my hands on real samples.

So far, I've really liked the feel of the Grohe Ladylux Cafe (although I don't like the stop and release spray trigger) and Hansgrohe Talis S and Allegro.

Are there others I should be looking at? Brands that you find are consistently "heavy" or substantial feeling?

Or maybe I'm just overthinking the cheap faucet feel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Comments (24)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Are you looking for a pull out or a pull down? These are two different types of faucets.

A pull down is usually a high-arc faucet and you pull the head down towards the bottom of the sink.

Pull down:

A pull out is usually a low-profile faucet and you pull it out toward you.

Pull out:

• lindiver
    14 years ago

Buehl, as usual, you've made this very clear. I thought I had worked out the difference, but realized I hadn't after I read your excellent post. Thanks! The pictures did the trick. Now I can go back to the threads discussing them with a better understanding. :-) Linda

• judydel
    14 years ago

When I was searching for faucets I knew that I wanted a pull out that would blend with a vintage farmhouse style kitchen. I had to search for a while because the "shelf" that the faucet sits on is fairly narrow, and most pull outs/pull down faucets have chubby bases. I ended up finding one online and bought it sight unseen but felt comfortable doing so because it was a reputable name brand. It's made by Franke and is in the Orient Express series.

I love it. I feel like it is made well. The pipes are copper (we've had trouble with plastic pipes in the past). The sprayer head sits nicely in its dock. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

• carriedale
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Buehl,

Thanks for the follow-up - we're open to either a pull down or a pull out, with maybe a slight bias in favor of the pull out. What I've been finding in looking at faucets is that the line is becoming a bit blurred between the two, because there are some pull out faucets now with a pretty high arch and some pull downs that are much lower than the picture you've posted.

• jaym2009
    14 years ago

We just installed a Grohe ladylux pull down sprayer. Our old faucet was a moen pull out.

I actually really like it. We have a deep sink so I often pull the sprayer straight down, then push the spray button to blast the dishes or sink. I was concerned about the fact that you need to hold the button, but I really like that feature because when the faucet is left in the spray position water splashes all over the place. Selfishly I like it because my wife always left the old faucet in the spray position and it drove me crazy!

I honestly think that any time I would that to use the spray position I'd have the faucet in my hand anyway. Other times like filling a pot or something I prefer to leave it in the stream mode.

To get a good faucet, you'll need to leave the big box stores and go to a little plumbing boutique. You pay a bit more than online, but for a component that you will have your hands on several times a day for the next 20 years or so it's woth the little extra!

~Jay

• iceqween13
    14 years ago

We have the Brizo Bello (higher end Delta product) and really like it, with deep sinks. Lots of compliments on it. Not too tall.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Have the Kohler Forte pull out and love it. Very smooth, quiet pull out mechanism and locks back into place with no problem. Easily switches from spray to stream and swivels great to get to all the sink corners.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Carriedale - your message said you liked the Grohe Ladylux Cafe except for the spray function which requires you to hold it down. I agree with you about the Cafe model. That is why I have the Grohe Ladylux Plus which spray trigger just stays on spray; you don't have to hold it. I really love the faucet, and I feel it is made very well. The model number is Grohe 33 737. I have the polished chrome version, and I like the shine. The faucet also comes in chrome with a black rubber head which some people like cause the black won't show fingerprints. The other finish is a brushed stainless steel, more expensive, but also won't show fingerprints (I prefer the shine of polished chrome, but a lot of people love the brushed stainless.) Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grohe Ladylux Plus 33.737

• ir_boston
    14 years ago

Carriedale,

I too have been considering the Hansgrohe Talis S, but i cannot find it locally so i have only seen it online. Could you tell me a little bit more about it to help me decide whether to order it? How does the sprayer work? etc.

The other faucet i am considering is the KWC Luna. KWC makes very solid faucets.

-Isabelle

• robinst
    14 years ago

I love our Kraus faucets. We have the sprayer and faucet combination and a regular faucet. They also carry the same model in a pull down faucet KPF-1620. The prices were really reasonable and the quality is excellent.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/index.cfm?page=search:browse&categoryID=13818

• datura-07
    14 years ago

Just got mine installed in my prep sink last week so I haven't used it much. I have the Ladylux cafe. I love the feel of it but several times while washing veges, I missed not having it stay on spray. I have a pre rinse in my main sink and I didn't realize that it only does a spray. So, I have several things to get use to.

• reeny
    14 years ago

I have a KWC pullout and absolutley love it!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I have both of the faucets I posted above...and I really like them both! My DH was dubious about the Vinnata (pull down), but now that he's used for over a year he really likes it as well. Another thing, btw, that I found out about here on GW!

Prep Sink (sink is in a corner on a peninsula, so a lower profile faucet was best b/c I have cabinets above):

Main/Cleanup Sink:

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I have a Whitehaus from the Metrohaus collection. It looks very much like the Kohler Vinata, but it has slightly different specs (I think it is an inch shorter and an inch deeper in reach) and that really worked better for us. I bought it based on seeing a photo of another happy owner here -- had never seen one in person, and I was very pleasantly surprised when we received it. It is very solid and beautifully finished. It has been working very well for us too. It is the first one in the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitehaus

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

We have the Hansgrohe Swing C in a box (just waiting for the rest of the kitchen!). It's the same size and feel as the Talis but more traditional in styling. I found that I didn't like the feel of the the spray buttons on many faucets but liked the Hansgrohe. Sorry I can't comment on performance yet!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing C

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Carrie

The spray head feels cheap because it is made of plastic - I found this when searching for ours. It baffled me, that even the high end ones had cheap heads. Finally discovered the reason for that: safety - if the head was all metal it would get too hot, it is also heavier if all metal & would be breaking glassware, plates & lovely stone counters. Ok that mystery solved. I wanted a workhorse - a switch that stayed, so easy to go from spray to stream and relatively low profile.

I got a Franke - I think she is sexy, definitely a workhorse

Here is a link that might be useful: Franke faucet

• clkw
    14 years ago

We have a Grohe ladylux. It functions well and I do like it, however the black trim on ours is peeling off. We do have very hard water here so it may do fine in other areas. If you were interested in the black trim I would definitely try to find out if that is a common problem first.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Are all the spray heads for pull downs plastic?

• squigs
    14 years ago

I don't know if all spray heads for pulldowns are plastic, but another reason I think they are plastic now is because they are lighter and therefore easier to lock back into place and stay. I have the Delta touch faucet, just used today for the first time, and it's great!

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

It's fantastic. I'm so happy I went with it. Super easy to use. Not too big [some are HUGE] and it looks and works great. Oh and it was $100 cheaper than others I was considering.

I can't believe this is the only pic I have right now....sorry...

• colorado_mom
    14 years ago

Fun info. I have a huge crush on the Kohler Vinnata, and found the slightly smaller version, the K-691, may be the one for us!! Thanks for the pictures beuhl! I have enjoyed seeing them all in my search on this faucet!

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

I also have the Kohler Vinnata...love it! Bought it for 2 houses now. :)

I don't think the pull-down part is plastic...it feels substantial to me.

• joy910
    14 years ago

I have the Grohe Ladylux3 pullout (model 33893) and I like it. It definitely doesn't feel cheap: the pullout works well and locks back into place when you reinsert, the switch from spray to stream is great, then single-handle faucet control works like a dream, and the faucet is really pretty. The only drawback: it is very tall, and as others have said it does splash if you put your hands in the stream near the faucet head. This is probably just something to get used to rather than an actual problem, though, and the faucet itself is great. I got it on ebay from Home & Stone and that was good -- shipped quickly, in perfect condition, and was about $100 cheaper than anywhere else.

Good luck with the decision!

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

I purchased the ladylux 3 (32298) in stainless steel. This faucet is beautiful and solid. It should be installed in a few days so i'll post some pictures.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz