Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelhuck_gw

Corner wall oven- good or bad idea?

kelhuck
11 years ago

I searched the forums and couldn't find any discussions regarding this topic.

I'm working on a kitchen layout and am considering placing my double wall ovens in a corner run of cabinets.

Is this a definite "no-no"? Or okay if the space/layout allows?

Anyone like/dislike their corner ovens?

Comments (23)

• User
    11 years ago

It's a BIG space hog and will make getting stuff out of the oven a bit harder because you do have to stand directly in front of it rather than being able to stand to one side to baste or lift out a heavy pan. There are so many more corner solutions that let you USE the space that it's really only suited to a large kitchen that has the space to waste.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My ovens are diagonal across the corner and it works great for my kitchen. I did use custom made cabinetry though and was able to recess the ovens back a bit by using angled cabinets with hinged doors on each side. I can actually fit a fair anount of items in those cabinets and they are easy enough to access. Here is the set up pre countertop install so you can see the the angled cabinets construction.

And here is a poor quality picture with the countertops
    {{gwi:1582902}}

• kelhuck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics, @badgergal! Nice kitchen! So you don't have problems with reaching in to them to clean or get out a heavy pan? Are your ovens 27" or 30"?

I'm leaning towards using them in my layout. They might use up more wall/counter space, but my work triangle will be more efficient, and I think that's the most important thing. (By putting the ovens in the corner, I'll be able to pull the Ref closer to the range.)

As a side note, I was unable to find any corner oven discussions when I ran a search on the GW forums. However, a google search pulled up several corner oven threads on GW! Guess google is the superior search tool when I need to find an old thread.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Always google to find anything on GW

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Kelhuck: My ovens are 30 inch wide and normal depth for that size. I am only 5'4" and I have no trouble reaching getting anything in or out of either oven. I can easily reach all the way to the back of the lower oven for cleaning. I do have to stretch a bit to reach the back wall of the upper, Advantium oven. If my arms were any shorter, I would have to call in reinforcements or use a step stool to reach the back wall of the upper oven.
    One other thing I like about the arrangement is the 24 inch deep cabinet above and drawer below which both provide good storage.
    My kitchen is not big. Prior to redoing it my kitchen was 10'8" x 11'. I was able to gain a little wall space by decreasing the extra large entry way but my kitchen is still only 12x11. So at least in my case I did not have to have a really large kitchen to have a corner oven. I have absolutely no regrets doing it the way I did. I love having a cooktop and wall ovens compared to my previous range with microwave above it setup. Here's my above oven storage
    {{gwi:1582903}}

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I have both my ovens (Combi steam and the convection) in a corner. I preferred this as I wanted both the ovens at good height ergonomically and wanted to have a longer continuous prep counter. However both of my ovens are side opening and the wall next to the oven ends just about where the oven ends. So I am able to open the oven doors fully and I have space to move.

• sojay
    11 years ago

Mine is angled in a corner also. When I moved into this house 7 years ago, I considered that a rather dated look and thought I'd eventually change it, but I've grown to really appreciate the angled oven over time, and just recently, I've noticed a whole bunch of kitchens on Houzz with corner ovens. Just like the hexagonal motifs I had and found very dated until recently - now I see a lot of trendy use of hex.
    I am tall and have no trouble reaching into the top oven to retrieve my really heavy cast iron Dutch oven that I use almost daily for bread baking, but to make it a bit easier, I COULD roll out the shelf first.
    The triangle wasted area behind the oven in my case is not actually wasted, because a coat closet makes use of it, but the wall and base cabinets adjacent to the oven have sliver of dead space in my situation. I like the solution in the above pictures with the funny shaped cabinet.

• kelhuck
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, sojay, GWlolo and badgergal! Sorry for the delay in response; we've been busy interviewing builders and solidifying the floor plan, in addition to normal life! :)

It helps to hear from others who have real life experience. I'm a little worried about my heavy cast iron pots; I might have to take one in to our local appliance store to test it out. Although, it seems like removing them from my wall ovens would be easier on the back, since I won't be bent in half getting them out of the oven like I am now! :)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

My friend has her double wall ovens angled in the corner of her kitchen. It works. I think it's a good use of the space, actually. She has an island in the center of the kitchen that provides her landing space.

I have double wall ovens, and I put heavy things in the bottom oven. And yes, rolling out the shelf does help.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

While I think it can look attractive to have corner ovens, I really covet the corners for lazy susans...they add sooo much storage to the kitchen that I wouldn't give them up for anything. I love mine and use it many times a day vs ovens which are used occasionally and can go almost anywhere....

• S S
    6 years ago

bumping this topic, as I am considering a double oven in the corner of my kitchen

• badgergal
    6 years ago

I just got a notice on this old post. As you can see I posted on this thread back in 2013 but the pictures were deleted by photobucket. I'm
    posting them once again so you can see them since you are considering corner ovens. Most of the experts will agree that corner ovens waste space. Mine do not waste as much space because the oven cabinet is recessed a bit and the cabinets on each side are angled.

• PRO
    Kitchen Doctors
    6 years ago

My client was determined to have a corner wall oven, despite losing some space. She has a large kitchen and frequently entertains her grandchildren. This photo (before backspash, unfortunately) shows how functional the corner baking area turned out.

• Carlos Zambrano
    5 years ago

Hi Badgergal,

I was wondering where you got those cabinets, My wife and I are looking to renovate our kitchen and we have a weird lay out and your layout seems to be a space safer and might actually work if we are able to get the sane frame cabinets. Would you be willing to share where you got the cabinets from?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

• HU-370762596
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am struggling to determine the footprint for a single oven in the corner. I understand the dead space behind and measurements for the oven, but what I'm struggling with is the total space needed...ie where I begin my build out on each side if that makes sense. Help?

• Danielle Elfstrom
    2 years ago

We too are struggling with how to put cnr oven.
    We have realised we will require a cabinet maker to custom build the cnr cabinet for the oven. We are hoping to install ikea type prefab cabinets for the rest of the kitchen. We are fortunte to have 10ft high ceilings and are currently getting our walk in butlers pantry built.

• HU-370762596
    2 years ago

It's super tricky right? We ended up not doing it, but we did actually find a good option at Menards - the Medallion line. Check it out before you go custom just to see if there is an option for you. We would have ended up doing it, but we ran into another issue and just scrapped the whole darn thing. If you haven't ordered your cabinets yet, check out Lily Ann Cabinets. They are RTA cabinets, all plywood, really nice! Our cabinets should be here in a few days. Wish us luck and good luck to you as well!

• Lisa Waddell
    2 years ago

I am currently designing my kitchen for my home and wants a corner oven as well I love the idea I haven't researched anything or my architect hasn't said anything to its position but I say go for it

• HU-449625099
    last year

Also planning a corner oven

• Diana yekcih
    last year
    last modified: last year

I am currently designing my new kitchen. Going to the cabinet maker tomorrow. I'm hoping he will solve my measurement problem I AM putting in a corner wall oven and microwave. I just love this design although it is a wall eater. OK, my problem. I have a 27" oven (with it being 30 inches at the door. ) The mic measures 29". I am hoping that a 30" cabinet will do the trick. I still need to know how much wall space on each wall is going to be needed. It is about impossible to search and find an answer. This thread mentions 41" for a 30" corner cabinet, another site listed 45 and yet another was 50 something. Yikes.

Update: I went to the cabinet guy today and he told me I needed 48" on each wall (from the corner) for a 30" cabinet. So come on people, what is the real answer to this question?

• HU-449625099
    last year

I asked our cabinet person as well, and he said at least 4 ft from each corner for a wall oven. Takes up too much space for us and we decided not to do it.

• derphilly
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I just moved into a house with an oven/range built into a corner, similar to those pictured above. In the upper section of the corner (above the range) there's a large built-in range hood. Visually it's all okay, and the corner placement works well for countertop space. But there's wasted space--an inaccessible triangular section--in the lower cabinetry, which I really don't like. I hope to change it eventually.