Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Which of these selaers would you choose for Danby marble?

Madeline616
12 years ago

Re-posting b/c of a typo in original post, and in hopes of getting some more opinions...

I've read so many threads on the various sealers, and still can't figure out which one (or maybe which combination of 2) would be best for my Danby Olympia White marble.

I've narrowed it down to this list...need to order the sealer now, as the countertop installation is fast approaching. Any advice would be appreciated!

1) Porous Plus 511

2) Porous Plus Impregnator

3) 511 followed by impregnator

4) STT SB...maybe followed by FE...

5) Akemi

BTW, Danby is less porous than other marbles, but Olympia white is more porous than other Danbys (although still not as porous as Carrera/Calacatta).

Also, I read on one thread that 3 coats, applied with 72 hours between coats, is recommended for the best seal. My fabricator says this is overkill--any opinions? I'd rather overkill than under seal!

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bump...have to order the sealer in next 2-3 days, still hoping for some input.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I used 511 Impregnator on my Carrara based on my fabricator's recommendation. You apply it, wait about two hours, and then recoat. I think I did two coats, maybe three. Funny, it wasn't that long ago, but I can't remember! The stuff isn't the easiest to get on evenly without leaving streaks. I remember reading a thread on sealers before I used mine , and someone mentioned past complaints on the tendency of the 511 to streaks knew about the possible issue going in.

Have you researched old threads on sealers and/ or danby sealers?

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Did you try the Danby Marble website?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I took the liberty of running an internet search for "site:ths.gardenweb.com Danby sealer". Here are the results in the link below. I'm surprised Sharonite hasn't jumped in here yet. She used 511 Porous Plus on her Danby.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danby sealer search results

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    12 years ago

I assume your dandy is honed. Polished stone will always be in most cases a lot less porous than when it is honed-any of those sealers will work well they are all good-somewhat different formulations but all quality.
    Before you begin sealing you may want to test your stone first by placing a few palm sized puddles of water in two or so locations . Let them sit for 10 or 15 minutes and then wipe away the water with a paper towel. If it leaves a dark spotit will give you a good idea how absorbant or not it is. Dandy is porous but it is good to see for your self what your seling and the difference the sealer will make.
    Just remember one fact that a sealer will only temporarily inhibit the intrusion of staining agents into the the stone. Temporary is the key word.If you do combine two compatible sealers you may get a better seal. But if your stone isnt all that porous the second sealer wont penetrate the first sealer so you have just spent a good buck on a sealer you dont need. The key to the whole sealing thing imo is that as a homeowner you can do a better job than most contractors because you arent hurrying off to the next job. You can do several applications (I dont call them coats)(because even if you do two coats back to back it is still one application)in this manner. Apply the fist application in managable areas (3-4 ft sections)keeping it wet for 15 minutes or so.
    Then remove the excess(all of it)so that it is dry to the touch. Remember the sealer is impregnating. (It lives below the surface)If you dont remove all the excess you will have an epic adventure removing the residue from the surface. Ok -when your ready to move to the next area repeat the same procedure but make sure you overlap where you left off. Now you can finish the rest of your surfaces in this manner.
    Then wait 24 hours and test it using the water test.If it is still absorbent repeat the entire process. The reason for waiting 24 hours to do the next application is that it takes the sealer a minimum of 24 hours to cure in most cases. Once it has cured the second application wont go below the first application resulting in a better seal.
    Also if you use the proper cleaning regimen using ph neutral cleaners you will prolong the life of the sealer. Be aware that sealers will not prevent etching from acidic products.
    Oh Yeah-just so you know if you ever do get a stain it can be removed using a poultice-but act quickly and use the right one. You can always email or call us if you have any issues.
    Stu Rosen
    www.mbstonecare.com
    www.stoneshine.com

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

First time on the forum in a few days, and just wanted to say thanks!!!

Breezy, thanks as always for your generosity--I really appreciate the info.

And stu, thanks once again for taking the time to post your insights. I will follow your instructions.