Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fivefootzero

Slide in vs. Free Standing Double Oven Range

fivefootzero
13 years ago

Hi all:

I would cross-post in the Appliance forum, but it doesn't get as much traffic, and it's mostly repair issues over there vs. function.

My dilemma is this. I really like the look of a slide in gas range, as well as the extra space it affords in the back of the range. I generally use back-burners before front ones, as I have a family, and a very busy kitchen with 3 doorways (it's a pass-through to most rooms in the house). But I really like the functionality of a double oven range. I have 2 children, a child-like husband, and a chocolate lab. I can see myself using that top oven 90% of the time.

I haven't chosen which brands of appliances yet, so this is just asking for an opinion on configuration.

Thoughts?

Here's an example of a double-oven free-standing range:

And here is my current layout (which is final). The view is looking in from the dining room (one entry point) and you can see 2 doorways at the back of the layout (so that makes 3):

Comments (10)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Having just bought an electric double-oven range, just wanted to say that there is very little space between our non-microwave range hood and the range's back area. We thought we'd have room for something on wall, but even the niche we've roughed in is diminishing in size as reality sets in. Don't plan for a big, fancy backsplash behind range if you choose a range.

Off topic...you might want to look into reasons why many posters on the GW avoid microwave over range.

• stacys
    13 years ago

I had a similar dilemna, really liked the look of slide in but knew I wanted 2 ovens and could not find in slide in (or at least in my price range, under 3K).

I have an electrolux 30" double oven gas freestanding. i love it. while I am not a huge fan of electrolux because of an OTR micro repair issue(ssss), I love the oven and would recommend it again.

I also have an OTR micro, I don't use the wall space between for anything other than backsplash (I'm a minimalist I guess)

One thing I found is that my 2nd oven doesn't fit a spring form pan. a cookie sheet/broiler pan fits but not a spring foam. Just an FYI.

• theballs
    13 years ago

I love my slide in. It cost me a few hundred dollars more, but it looks so nice, I think. I also love my microwave over the range. If I had a huge kitchen, I would have found somewhere else to put it, but I dont, and this works great for us.

{{gwi:1582351}}

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

I have a GE Cafe slide in with a baking drawer that I really like. We don't have the space for a wall oven and it was a good compromise. It is all gas with the second oven electric, but 110 NOT 220 so it takes a good while to warm up and I would not want to bake anything too sensitive in it. It's good for casseroles and was welcomed over the holidays. The back two burners are the smaller simmer burners so if you don't want power in the front it's probably not the best. Great for us though.

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

Just updated our kitchen prior to the holidays with a slide-in range (all gas). Really like the look. Ours though has a full-sized single oven plus a warming drawer below. When spring arrives, my DH is going to install an outside exhaust vent and replace the microwave with an Advantium. This will give me the 2nd oven. Our kitchen only has space for over-the-range (unfortunately) so we're trying to do double-duty every place we can.

Link will show before and after - it looks larger now, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated Kitchen

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

I'm planning on the GE Cafe gas range that cluelessincolorado has for my upcoming remodel. In our former home, we had a Maytag Gemini electric range w/ the double ovens and I really enjoyed having that smaller oven, also. Unfortunately, sounds like the GE Cafe's smaller oven does not heat up quickly, unlike the Gemini, due to the former using only a 110 volt circuit. It's one of those tradeoffs that I have decided is worthwhile for this time around, though. Among other things, the Gemini burner configuration squishes all the burners to one side and puts the controls on top, just to the rt of the burners. I am also trying to avoid having the raised back panel, plus I want the 5-burner configuration this time. Other than that, though, I enjoyed my smoothtop electric Gemini.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

I also just bought a GE Cafe, but in the kitchen planning stages so I won't be using it just yet.

Oh Yeah! I heard the bottom oven does take longer to pre-heat but that'll be just fine for us. We'll mostly be warming up rolls or a casserole just during the holidays.
    Hey jbrig & other Cafe owners--I also heard the middle grill doesn't get too hot, but hoping I'll be able to at least make pancakes? (I always wanted the space to do that!)
    I love the look of the GE, and I think it's a very good vaule compared to what else is out there. (we got ours for a little over 2k, with 5 yr warranty).

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

I use the griddle for pancakes at least once a week, if not more. They can't be huge, but I like it. It's really nice to be able to slide large pots over the cooktop when the grate is in, esp with my cast iron going from saute to simmer.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

thanks cluelessincolorado--that is exactly what i was looking for!

• fivefootzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Went out looking yesterday to touch and feel them. Didn't see any double ovens like the one I listed, but did see the GE Cafe...I'm in love.

And for what it's worth, while I appreciate the advice about the OTR microwave vs. an actual hood, and recognize the benefits, I am remodeling a 10 x 10 kitchen with 3 doorways, and I just do not have the space for a dedicated hood and a separate microwave. This is a compromise that we must make. I do not do any heavy frying, have plently of fresh air ventilation in my kitchen, and feel that this is the best compromise for my space.