Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just did little reno, need to do again- sigh.

Posted by aklvdb (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 10:38

Thanks for the advice

Here is a link that might be useful: floor choice-looking at Belfort colour

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 3:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just did little reno, need to do again- sigh.

Thanks for any advice on cabinets/floors, anything is appreciated. We'll most likely change the backsplash as well to go with the off white cabs.

I was also thinking about that corner pantry...my DH says not to touch it. I was thinking of having all cabs there, but I think it would be a lot of cost for not a lot of benefit, except maybe a cleaner look.

Thanks for looking!

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 3:59

o

Granite isn't so expensive or rare that I would let it lock me into a less than optimum layout for 20 years. You'd need to post the layout, but at a minimum just from what I can see, I'd want more space to the right of that sink. Don't get in a hurry just because you are dealing with an insurance claim and they want to hurry you up.

Concentrate on the decorative secondary to the functional.

o

Thanks live_wire_oak.

Thank you for your advice.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 3:55

o

If serious on the 20 yr (long term) thing, I'm with live-wire. Get what you want and make all the changes you want to accommodate your needs now and for the next 20 yrs. that's a long time to always step into a kitchen and think 'I wish I had...' Now how I would know that. ;).

o

what color is your wall paint

o

Wall paint is Davenport Tan by BM.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 3:56

o

You also might get some good advice if you happen to have a layout picture so the layout gurus can give you some options.

If this is the "final" one that you will do, I'd definitely move things around a bit. I would bet that you can get a bit more useable counter space out of this kitchen if you played around with it a bit.

Sorry to hear that you went through this. Frustrating for you to have to live with that mishap plus two renos! Hard enough as it is to live through one reno.

o

I would love to do a layout, but I don't know how! I can draw it, but don't know how to get it onto the computer!
Thank you for the advice.

o

I love the pantry. It's unique and very pretty, as well as practical.

Keep the doggie! She's perfect "as is"!

o

I have a layout as a pdf, but I can't post it (GW doesn't accept).

Any ideas how to change to jpeg?

And thanks bpollen, we're keeping the dog :) She matches the house! Thanks for the positive on the pantry.

o

this is too bad, the kitchen looked nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: convert pdf to jpg

o

I think white shaker will be fab!!!

o

Remember that you could sell your counter if you wanted to.

o

Ok, I think I did it! Layout. I hope.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 3:58

o

That is tough for sure but I am with everyone else that exploring the possibilities of improving the layout would be a worthwhile exercise. To do this we would need the layout of your first floor showing the relationship of the kitchen to the adjoining rooms with windows and doorways marked. Take your time before you lock into a decision.

o

aklvdb:

Setting tops on cabinets is a walk in the park (look how often it gets screwed up here) compared to setting cabinets so existing tops will fit with proper overhang, etc.

If I had that contract, oh man would I charge you. Whew.

o

aktillery- thanks! I hope so!

muskokascp- the wall with the dishwasher, the other side is the master bedroom, which is small, no movement there. The wall with the range and peninsula, the other side is the great room. Thanks for your advice.

debrak2008- thanks for alternate plans!

This post was edited by aklvdb on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 3:57

o

I would really want the range and sink to be closer. How much does it bother you to carry pots of boiling pasta water to the sink to drain? How much will it bother you when you're 20 years older? Besides that, it's a cute kitchen.

o

I understand you are not looking forward to a complete remodel but think you should consider it as you have the chance. Also, I like what you did to the kitchen originally and am sorry to hear about the flood.

Like may flowers I would really try to get the range and sink closer or in the same run. In my old kitchen I had to turn and cross the kitchen to get from the sink to the range. While you get used to it I always hated it. Now with an L shape the counter between the sink and range is the main prep area and what a difference it has made.

o

Thank you may_flowers and debrak2008, that is about the only thing that is the issue in the kitchen, I yell, "All clear!" when doing the boiling water from the pasta thing. Not sure how else to do this though. It's much better with the wall oven being gone, as I never had room to the right of it and would also have to cross the kitchen.

I think I'll post a separate thread with the layout seeing what could happen with the corner pantry gone (but my DH thinks I'm absolutely crazy to spend $ to get rid of it when some people would love to have one). We just moved all the shelving out from it to paint the inside, and there's so much space! I'm wondering what we could do...

o

I think the perfect kitchen design would start with the cook. Plop him or her down in the middle of the room/graph paper/computer program and design around them. I have seen a lot of kitchens designed around a nice range or a window or guests and kids at the island. These layouts look pretty on paper until you put the person in there who actually does the work. In the case of the pantry, all the kitchen stuff has a nice place to live, but it really dominates the small kitchen and inhibits the work flow. So the cook accommodates the pantry and we have her walking across the floor carrying large pots of hot water and yelling "All clear!"

o

Pretty much may_flowers. I do have to say, DH and I always get in each other's way. I think it has to do with him boxing me in places (ie, the pantry). I don't know. Thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here