Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Etch Marks from Marble

Posted by i_m_fletcher (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 8, 11 at 10:38

I've had my new marble counter tops for about three weeks now. As expected, I've created a few etch marks on the counter tops - primarily in the prep area between the sink and range top as well as a few really good ones next to the sink edge.

Details:
-Calacatta Ruggine (very similar to Calacatta Gold)
-Brushed Surface (lightly polished with some texture)
-Sealed by Fabricators
-Etch marks created by lime juice and orange juice

I was under the impression that once an etch mark is made (and it happens instantly) there's nothing that can be done except get used to the new mark on the counter top. I'm ok with this in general and actually like the idea that my counter tops will develop a patina over time.

That being said, those first few etch marks stick out like a sore thumb and are a little rough to accept. I set out to see if I could remove them. The good news is that I found a process / product that I feel is very effective at removing these etch marks. Details are in the photo illustrations below.

Small Etch Mark Next to Sink:
Photobucket

Same Etch Mark After Cleaning (proving it's really an etch not dirt):
Photobucket

Etch Removal In Process:
Photobucket

Counter Top After Polishing (Took <1 Min) and Cleaning:
Photobucket

Another Etch Mark:
Photobucket

After Polishing:
Photobucket

Here's a Shot of The Product I Used:
Photobucket

My question is, has anyone else used this stuff (or something similar)? Seems pretty easy and effective. Are there reasons that haven't occurred to me on why I shouldn't use this stuff? Is this common knowledge or an exciting development in the world of Marble counter top care here on Gardenweb?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Etch Marks from Marble

By the way, I'm in now way pitching this product. I bought it online for about $29. There were a few websites with a similar product so I don't think this is the only game in town, just the one I tried out.

o

Polishing works to remove etch marks by removing a thin layer of stone. Over time, repeatedly polishing the same area (like your prep area) can lead to the area actually having a depression or divot when compared with the rest of your flat countertop. It would take several years to show, but it is one consequence of repeated polishing on a relatively soft surface like a marble. Polishing of the entire countertop would be OK for an "annual cleanup" but shouldn't be done on an everyday basis to spot treat the normal wear and tear.

o

You make a good point. Although, if the big concern is that 15-20 years from now I might have a slight depression in the more heavily used areas of my counter tops, I think I'm ok with this. I guess it depends upon how much is actually removed, although the amount seems minimal...

o

Nice to have the product -- haven't seen that before. Thanks. Also, I saw your kitchen pix and it looks great. Very eager to see your backsplash when it goes in. I have AS tile and it's just extra great IMO.

The fabricator sealed my counters and they weren't sealed well at all. I was getting similar etch marks. I went over them myself with a sealer recommended by a stone restorer and most stuff either beads up or wipes off. We follow with a companion product once a week that removes a lot of stuff.

The problem I see with using the polishing product you show is that area is not sealed after it's been scrubbed on.

I'm thinking I'll need to have the counters professionally rehoned once every 5 years or so -- not trying to keep them pristine.

Also, we bought a set of flexi mats at Crate & Barrel and use them on the counters for some protection. Saves me a world of cleaning.

o

We had tons of etch marks on the travertine floor in our guest bathroom--droplets of bathroom and toilet cleaner, a few large marks where our (former) cleaning lady set a bottle of TB cleaner, and a bucket that had bathroom cleaner on the bottom. Someone here had suggested spraying a little stone cleaner on the etched area, and then lightly scrub with a green scrub sponge. It worked well (I've even just lightly buffed with the dry sponge and that worked, too).

Nice to know we have options to keep our stone floors and counters looking their best!

o

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here