Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experiences with dark honed granite?

Posted by mle14 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 10:38

Gut renovating a kitchen in a 1920s home. Will be installing white cabinets and medium-stained oak flooring and looking at honed granite for counters as we need a dark to counter all the white and also want the stone to blend in and not take center stage. Have looked at absolute, labarador, angola and jet mist (all black/dark grey) and antique brown. On various threads I have read dark honed counters -- esp absolute black which has minimal pattern -- show the dirt, dust, smudges, etc. more readily than polished with movement. When I mentioned my concerns to staff at the stone retailer and the professional assisting with the kitchen layout/cabinets, neither expressed any issues, but what I have read on the internet still gives me pause. Advice and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experiences with dark honed granite?

I wanted honed granite and was talked out of it by the stone fabricator (and DH) for the reasons you mentioned. The fabricator showed me samples of both finishes and the color change was significant on both light and dark stone.

With that being said, do the research and get what YOU want.

o

Dark always shows everything. Honed tends to trap fingerprint oils and be more difficult to clean. Antiqued or leathered dark stone is much more forgiving, but also is more difficult to fabricate well, especially at the seam area. It's also more costly than the same stone that is polished. The softer and lighter grey look can be a nice supporting actor in the kitchen, but only if you are fully prepared to deal with the extra maintenance.

The pros should give you the pros and the cons of any choice, but since they have an interest in making a sale, many gloss over or deny the issues. It's always best to get a sample of the actual material under consideration and make the decision for yourself. And perhaps widen your scope to consider other materials such as a dark wood, or a solid surface. Or laminate. (It doesn't have top tier snob appeal, but it's an incredibly functional material that would work well for you.) Those have drawbacks as well. There is no perfect surface.

o

"Dark always shows everything."

Except when it doesn't. :) I have dark mottled quartz and the only things that show are salt, sugar and flour. I like to keep a super clean and smooth counter and I'm appalled at the number of dried spills I can't see, but later feel when they've dried and hardened.

I love the look of dark counters, esp. with white cabinets as a design choice. But there are two reasons I wouldn't go dark again: 1) hard to see spills, and 2) I prefer a lighter background when I'm working.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here