Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garine_gw

How well does Soapstone/Slate do as countertop??

garine
14 years ago

I'm about to renovate my kitchen and would like to use matt finished soapstone or slate for the countertop. We are going for a rustic look and don't like the cold shine of granite or the plastic look of the fabricated countertops.

Does anyone here have experience with a soapstone in a family kitchen? Is it easy to clean? Does it stain? How does it stand heat? I understand it gets nicks and scratches - how bad is that?

Thanks for any input.

Sincerely

garine

Comments (30)

• glenrad
    14 years ago

We felt the same way you did about polished granite. We liked honed granite but were warned to stay away from it. We purchased soapstone and loved it. Totally appropriate in our 1912 Colonial Revival. When it scratches, you can either sand them out, or just recoat with mineral oil. Same with stains. The recoat takes minutes and makes it look like new. It does not absorb liquid materials and is therefore more hygenic than granite or marble as well.

• mtndream
    14 years ago

I choose soapstone because of the ability to withstand high heat. As for hardness, they have several types so it would depend on the soapstone you choose, Julia & Belvedere, etc are listed to be harder. Piracema is said to be softer. my sample was softer than others so nicks & scratches would depend on which kind you choose. If you go to M. Teixeira www.soapstones.com they have a wealth of information & will send you samples. They also sell kitchenware & masonry/wood stoves out of soapstone. I ordered my soapstone from them. Very nice to deal with. HTH Lynne

• lauriec
    14 years ago

hi, just placed an order for soapstone as I just do not like granite. if you search for soapstone on this forum, you will find TONS of great info and pix

good luck,

L

• kaidan
    14 years ago

I guess this is a regional thing as well but does anyone care to share how much they spent per square footage for soapstone? We are on the East Coast. Been looking at granite but like you do not like the polished granite so much. Just doesn't seem to "fit" our personalities so much.

I've heard mixed reviews about slate; I don't know first hand. But more times than not, I find that slate is not the best choice for countertops.

• prill
    14 years ago

I'm in Western Mass. and got my soapstone from Dorado Soapstone in Shrewsbury. It ended up costing about $79.00/sq. foot. That included everything. No extra for edging or sink cut out etc. They came to my house with the slab on their truck and did the template and fabricated right on the spot.

I don't oil mine much. You really only need to oil if you want the darken it up faster.

Soapstone is great. You can put hot pans etc. right one it. It's very cool, so you can roll dough on it. When it gets a little nick, just sand it out or scrub it with the scrubby side of your sponge.

There are many varieties, so you'll find lots to choose from. Let me know if you want to see a pic and I'll post one. MANY people here have soapstone, so if you search, as someone else said, you'll find a lot of posts and pictures.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

Kaiden...I live in Richmond, VA...my soapstone was locally quarried, cut onsite and installed for about $53 a square foot

{{gwi:1581332}}

• shudda
    14 years ago

I have had soapstone counters from Green Mountain for over two years now and absolutely love them. Yes, they do get shallow scrapes now and then but the scrubby sponge and/or a little oil makes it invisible. The ability to put a hot pizza stone right on the counter or roll out dough right on it is fabulous. It does darken on it's own, too, if you don't feel like oiling it.

• garine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone for such quick replies!

to weidiii -- I'm in Maryland, so I hope your cost is about what I can get. How "local" is your soapstone? Do you know where is was quarried? Your photo looks exactly like what we are designing - linen white cabinets with the charcoal top.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

garine

I worked with VAsoapstone, the sink cutout and edging were included, I might be off 2 or 3 dollars on the square foot price but not much...it was cheaper than the middle of the road granite I considered

their website is
    http://www.vasoapstone.com/

The quarry is near Charlottesville (Alberene Soapstone Company)
    http://soapstoneventures.com/

• garine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yay! Thanks so much.

• ellabee_2016
    14 years ago

garine, you might also want to check into berf's experience and vendors (he's in Maryland).

Here is a link that might be useful: Berf's kitchen

• natashak
    14 years ago

Whatever you do if you get soapstone, find the best fabricator around who has experience with soapstone! I went with the lowest price and that was a mistake!

• CA MacDonald
    14 years ago

weidii,
    I also live in Richmond and I am about to begin a kitchen renovation. I plan on getting soapstone too.

The first soapstone quote I've gotten is $87 psf!! (From a place in Carytown.) This is for templating, fabrication and installation. I know it is very high, and I'm going to get another quote from the supplier in Ashland listed on the Albarene web site. Your cost at $53 psf is impressive. May I ask who your supplier is?
    Thanks.

• lisa_washdc
    14 years ago

Hi - We installed soapstone in our Boston-area kitchen five years ago. I loved it, even though I didn't oil it as much as my husband wished I did. There were some annoying water rings and marks where hot pans evaporated the oil, but I think I put too much oil on and maybe that was the problem. Vermont Soapstone installed it for us, and they left the surface pretty rough, with a few saw marks showing. We've just moved to Washington DC and want to install soapstone in our new house. This time we want to find a stone that doesn't get those rings, stays dark longer, and is smoother than before. I've got the sample pack from M. Texeira. Does anyone know of any other sources, (beside Virginia, which I'm looking into), for soapstone in DC?

• ellabee_2016
    14 years ago

@Lisa_washdc: You might want to check with berf about his vendors/fabricators (see link with my message above). He's in Maryland not far from DC.

• amberley
    14 years ago

garine-

I am also in Maryland, and my soapstone is coming from M. Teixiera. We drove up to Hackensack, NJ (just outside NYC) to pick out our slabs in November. It was well worth the trip. I am getting an expensive variety- Python (not by intention-I seem to gravitate to the most expensive thing in a room), but they are still having a sale on my type as well as some others- 30% off. With 2 trip charges (templating, and installation), and full fabrication, we are spending just about $100 per square foot. We are doing a 4 foot piece of butcher block, partly to offset the cost of the soapstone. For me the soapstone was the number one thing I wanted, so I built the whole budget around it.

It is indestructible, and it is absolutely beautiful.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

ginterpark,hmmmm, wonder where you live? :)
    please contact Dave Trimbur at VA soapstone www.vasoapstone.com or email him at dltrimbur@live.com I'm sure they would love a Ginter Park project!

sorry I didn't follow up on this link sooner!!!

• CA MacDonald
    14 years ago

Weidii,
    Thanks for the info--I just emailed VA Soapstone today and also got a quote from Absolute Stone in Ashland (they're a link on Alberene's page.) Their quote is around $76 psf--better than the first but not as good as yours. I like the stone called Climax and have a nice sample here now.

I live on Hawthorne :) Are you a Northsider too?

• garine
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mepie77 -- is that photo of soapstone as flooring? or is my depth perception off.

• tomalyse
    14 years ago

We are in California and bought our slate countertops from a company in Maine that I heard about on this forum (Sheldon Slate) and had them installed by a local stoneworks co. The kitchen was completed in Spring 2008 - and I just love them! They are a soft greenish grey with some black flecks, honed. I hated busy shiny granite. I can't tell you how many people have complemented them. They do not need to be sealed - they absorb nothing. They will scratch, but rubbing with a wet sponge brings it back to normal. Love, love love the look with our shaker style cherry cabinets. Thought about soapstone but didn't want to go so dark and also heard they were more porous and needed sealing.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

ginterpark, I'm in Westham...close to UR in an old colonial...I work at home so if you would like to see the counters or ask me questions email me at alccgg@verizon.net

• slovesj
    13 years ago

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but ginterpark who did you end up going with? Thank you all for being so helpful, weidiii your countertops are beautiful! I am considering getting soapstone from VA Soapsone.

• charityh
    12 years ago

Hey Tomalyse,

I am in Sacramento, CA myself and saw your post in this forum and i have been mindset on getting slate countertops and were glad that you have already gone through this. I was looking for available fabricators that do not give out pricey bids...As for slate suppliers for countertops, the closest one i could find for Sacramento area is American Slate's warehouse in San Pablo near Richmond. Obviously Sheldon Slate was able to ship their slate slabs to you in California, correct? What was their price range? And, could you share who your fabricator was if you are in a close range to my area?

Thanks!

• ginzing
    12 years ago

Weidiii, I love your kitchen! Fabulous cabinets, and counter! I'm about to start a kitchen project and need a cabinet maker based in Richmond. Are yours custom? If so would you recommend your cabinet maker?

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

I'm in Maine and considering Sheldon Slate, with its stellar local reputation. Will post more on Sheldon & other slate suppliers as my own remodel unfolds.

• Newtodesign
    10 years ago

Near Seattle, picking out my soapstone slab! So exciting!! I was interested in slate for my counter-tops as well, but it just doesn't have that soft feel, like soapstone does. Either surface, you can use as a chalkboard right :-) That's what the lady said at the slab place, Crocodile Rocks. Haha, my kids are going to love that!

www.crocodilesrock.com

• Soapstonelover
    10 years ago

I'm in Seattle, and went to Crocodile Rocks as well. They posted this really helpful article about soapstone countertops, and why there are so many mixed reviews about it.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Discovering-Soapstone.html?soid=1113503763750&aid=nXV_98O6M3g

• quadesl
    10 years ago

Be conscious of how the soapstone is finished, I like how mine turned out with 75 grit sandpaper. It's what my very experienced fabricator found to be the best finish through trial and error.

I just love the soapstone sink and the addition of the water filter. It's nice having a large single sink for cleaning up.

This post was edited by Quadesl on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 19:56

• marlene
    8 years ago

@quadesi, I LIKE the sink; I note that it drains for dishes in the kitchen. I am also contemplating with a sink in the kitchen, under mounted. I note, that you have wood there is it safe with the wood? Do you have to keep the wood sealed for protection? Anyone use it in the bathroom? I am planning to put a changed up wooden dresser into the bathroom with a possible soap-stone sink. Would I have to protect the wood along with the sink for bathroom use? No kids, just one adult (so far - me). I am in Canada, near Barrie (north of Toronto) Ontario.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler