Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbpdx

Hating my backsplash... Options?

rbpdx
12 years ago

The CT and BS was installed yesterday in our kitchen...

Our(my) guts feeling have been right... We love the new venetian gold but HATE the backsplash!! Options?? -_- I've decided to live with it for a while and will make it a summer project if we still hate it then...

What do you guys think? You hate it as much as we do? I wish we used it as an accent instead...

Comments (42)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I agree that the backsplash doesn't not fit. It looks to be black and gray. Is that right? If so, I don't think the colors are right for the NVG either as an accent or an entire backsplash.

I honestly don't think I would be able to live with that at all.

• sas95
    12 years ago

Honestly, it's too busy for the granite and the colors are wrong.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I would pull it out now rather than create an additional mess later.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I agree, it just doesn't work. This is one of those unfortunate things, that probably looked okay in sample size, but doesn't translate. It seems too "cool" in tone for the granite, and it is too busy.

Unless you are burnt out now, I would take it out.

Leaving it doesn't mean you will end up liking it, but you may just get used to seeing it.

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

i would not wait, would remove it now and put in new color. would choose a neutral color, something that compliments the granite.

• Sharon kilber
    12 years ago

If you, hate it now waiting until summer, will not change it, because the patterns and color's are just to different and do not match. Sorry I, would take it down now.

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

Too much internal constrast with be white/gray/black tiles.

Granite and wood are warm colored, heightening the contrast with the constrasty tiles... oh my eyes

You could have cooled the tone with a light grey. There is already a lot of amber in the kitchen.

Do not keep any of these tiles. Do not use as accent.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

It's too busy for the counter, and I agree to take it down now while the grout is still fairly soft. Will be much easier than waiting until summer.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, just spoke with my fab. He is awesome! It's coming down people!! You have spoken and I heard you!!

We are going to put 4 inch backplash (NVG) and do a simple design behind stove..

Will it work?? Input please!

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

I agree with everyone here - wrong color, wrong size, too busy.

For now remove the BS. just paint the BS. Live with the countertop to see what would work. the stone is gorgeous. in a few months revisit the BS.

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

Good decision, PDX! If I were you I'd find a neutral warm-toned single-color larger format tile and use that throughout the backsplash. With such a busy (but beautiful!) stone I would opt for something monochromatic and calm.

The 4" stone backsplash is a fine choice if that's your preference. If you're just making that choice because you have to decide in a hurry, though, don't do it! Have you looked at lots of photos of kitchens to see what appeals to you? You can always wait on the backsplash. It can be added at any time.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

anyone with samples pic? we are going shopping. no more project... want to finish this up this week!!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

When you say simple design, behind the stove...you mean not in that same tile backsplash, right? Something more neutral, will look much better :)

Do you have any other pictures of the kitchen, especially the stove area? It would help to see more of your kitchen, to recommend alternative backsplash ideas.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I see you've already made your decision, but if you need any further validation, I totally agree that the backsplash doesn't work with the granite. Most times when someone puts out a question like this, the backsplash is really fine, and they just need to get used to it. I do not think that is the case here; no amount of time will bring those two things into harmony.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

O.T.

Mixes of tiles will have more personality the more the tiles themselves contrast with one another. Mixing tile and countertop patterns is a second consideration--perhaps requiring expert advice regarding color and strength of pattern. Handle both issues with care!

Thought I'd put out a link to this old thread in case others are also contempating backsplashes but are having trouble picturing the impact of mixes of small tiles on the larger room design.

Some of the posters refer to actual eye problems and find that the mosaics cause optical illusions or focus problems. But those aside, it is important to remember that the stone countertops with "movement" or pattern are a real force in the design and may not play nicely with competition. Additionally, some mosaics are just too much even when there is no countertop to compete--the "look at me" factor undoes the greater room design. If there is a question of where to look when one is in the room--a design feature so riveting that it cannot be ignored--you need to anticipate that item will fight for your attention when you're chopping, sorting, cleaning, etc. and all additional small items in the room will be de-emphasized just at the time when you need to be able to see and grab them.

Asking oneself "what is this room about?" will help you decide how the backsplash fits into the larger plan. If peacefulness, concentration, and specific tasks are high on the list, an extensive backsplash might be best if nondescript.

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread on impact of small tile mosaics on the soul

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I agree about painting the bs for now and really taking your time to get the choice right next time. I would hate for you to not like your next one....

• SiMBa37
    12 years ago

I agree, it really clashes. That tile would look much better if you had white cabinets and a granite with gray/darker tones.

You may be better off with either porcelin or glass plain white subway tiles as your backsplash. They go with everything.

Your choice though, change it now, or later. It looks like its going to have to get done.

Another option is cover it with adhesive "Smart Tiles."

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

pdx, do you have a piece of the stone that you can take with you to the tile store? If you want to be finished this week you will probably be limited to tiles that are in-stock. Many folks on here have found their backsplash tile at Lowes or Home Depot, I think. I would try to pick up a tone from your stone which, to my eye, doesn't have any grey or bluish or stark white; but rather creamy, soft gold or even a pale olive shade. My choice would be a solid glossy tile. With all the detail in your stone I wouldn't do a design above the cooktop, but that's personal preference again.

I you want something with a bit of texture you could look at crackle finish.

With the gold tones in your counter you'd want to be careful to avoid anything with a pinkish cast as well as grey tones. It seems that fairly regularly folks post on this site with disappointment about pinkish-toned "neutral" backslashes that aren't working with their more yellow-toned counters. You want to be careful to be sure that the tones in the tile are compatible with the tone of your backsplash, no matter how "neutral". Good luck.

• Joan Habel
    12 years ago

We have New Venetian Gold in our bathroom and used a slate tile back splash from the Tile Shop (I'm pretty sure that it was the Mongolian Dessert Collection).
    It matches very well, but we only have it in a small amount. I think it would be great as an accent to a kitchen back splash of a plain, lighter tile that would match the light spots of the NVG.

Installation (before sealing with a color enhancer).

After sealing.

Joan

• marcydc
    12 years ago

Don't do the 4" backsplash. They do tend to collect dirt/dust and are a bit out of style (if that matters). The backsplash to the counter look is cleaner.

White subway? nah, it would be too much contrast. I agree with lazy : "neutral warm-toned single-color larger format tile"

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

I would use the floor tile as the backsplash. or a limestone in 24x24 or larger.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Your instincts are right. The BS does not work. Get rid of it. Even if you have to have a painted wall, you would be better off. I guess you have your reasons for wanting to get all of this done now, but I would take the time to find exactly what will make you happy, if possible. Good luck. We've all done something we regret later. At least this is "fixable."

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

pdxkit,

I love your granite. Beautiful.
    The backsplash, is not working for you girlfriend. But you
    know this already.

I am thinking something like this....
    Soft comes to mind.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I'd change the counter. :)

You're right though. It's not working!

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want to get this over and done with.... We have decided we are not fancy peeps hence the 4 inch BS will do just fine.. I will hit habitat as well as home depot tonight.

I also think deciding it vs paint will be easier coz we dont have to repaint etc(fabricator will install drywall and backsplash for really inexpensive)

I'll keep you posted. Really really pissed off that I wasnt there during the install. This all could have been stopped midway vs redoing all BS *cry*

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Even if you weren't there, I think something that obviously doesn't work should have merited a phone call before installing it.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another update/input.

We will go with travertine /travertine like color as backsplash. Diagonal/Square??

like this one from HD:

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

Don't rush. Pull it down right now. BS is hard. I messed up too and had to redo. On my monitor the travetine looks pink and busy. I think you need plainer than that, like Boxer's 3rdphot. I know how frustrating this is.

• lisa616
    12 years ago

I totally agree with pulling it down and waiting. I understand the frustration as well. I wanted my backsplash done before Christmas and when I finally realized how much stress it was causing me....I stopped. Painted the backsplash white so it looked better and took my time picking out the right tile. I finally ordered it last week. And I feel so good about my choice because I know that it's right and I wasn't rushed....just my two cents! This forum is amazing...I have learned to take the advice given..and this advice was given to me!

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

It needs to come down. I'm with boxer -- keep it simple. I would pick a single color from the granite and used glazed tiles similar to boxers first and third pix.

I don't feel pine cabinets lend themselves to a successful blend with travertine. The colors will not be good together and two stone patterns together aren't great.

I'd take samples of the granite and the cabinet with me to the store along with the 2 pix I mentioned.

Sorry for your trouble with this but I'd get it over now.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Have you bought a few and put them up to see what they look like. I would.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Be VERY careful to match your undertones ... the Venetian GOLD is yellowish. The tile you hate is distinctly greyish, and the travertine you posted is pinkish. They will not look good together.

You need something that is a yellowish grey ora creamy yellow so the undertones blend.

• Eyegirlie
    12 years ago

Our granite is similar to venetian gold and we used tumble marble for our backsplash. I LOVE the look of it!

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

I have to agree with you and say the backsplash needs to go. Don't worry,these things happen. We tried to keep our tiled kitchen floor, but once the granite went in, we knew it had to go so our carpenter ripped out the old floor after the cabinets were in and put down a new one. We are thrilled with the new floor.

We have New Venetian too and we love it. When it came to the backsplash we wanted to granite to be the star and have a more subdued backsplash. Yet I wanted some interest there because I will be looking at it a lot so I added simple off white subway tiles with a bead detail. I added a little color with a tumbled onyx frame detail over the range.

I think the NVG looks great with your cabinets.

• blubird
    12 years ago

Here's a picture of my backsplash with a New Venetian Gold countertop. I set the the glass up and away so it wouldn't compete with the pattern of the counter. I used ivory travertine with an enhancing sealer...there is no peach tone in the backsplash.

Sorry it's not a better picture of the counter/backsplash...I have no idea what happened to the close-ups I had.

Helene

• houseful
    12 years ago

NVG in my master bathroom...

• trudymom
    12 years ago

I love Boxerpups 3rd sample or RLy511's. Keep it simple so nothing fights with the granite. Then you accent with flowers, a pitcher, etc.

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm doing 4 inch backsplash and paint. All the above pictures look great but our NVG like everyone said is more yellow.

I will get a stainless steel to go behind the range (any input where to get them will be appreciated - I saw the Air king at amazon for $45 - prolly will get that as well)

Thanks all for input. I ran around trying to find a matching tile this morning and finally gave up. Nothing match my beautiful counter!!

Will post pictures when done. :)

Boxerpups (I have 2 boxers!!) Love them

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update as promised.

We decided to go with the 4 inch and couldn't be happy less happier!! I know it's dated but I don't care!! :D

Fabricator rips the backsplash out and mud the Sheetrock, we will do the last muddying tomorrow and paint it. SO MUCH BETTER!!

HEre are some pics!

• rbpdx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

he also did our bathroom and it looks fab!!

We cant find an exact mirror i know the backsplash is a bit high but again I DONT CARE, it's done!! :P

• colletteone
    12 years ago

Hi. The last photo much, much better. And I am so sorry you put up the wrong backsplash. I live in fear that will happen to me. Good job correcting it.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio