Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykinteriors

grey/taupe-colored cabinets? anyone have?

shanghaimom
15 years ago

Well, I have been stuck on creamy cabinets for my future new kitchen in my 120-yr-old home. I was so happy to find this site, because so many of you have done amaaaaazing gorgeous white kitchens. (You know, with white subways, marble, soapstone and pendants over the island....) A part of me is tempted to go ahead with this same look, except use a dove grayish taupy-color on most of the cabinetry, with a dark wood or black island. I can't find any photos of such a thing, but I am only halfway through the alphabet in the finished kitchen gallery! Can anyone point me in the right direction to find some photos? I know I saw photos posted of a SPECTACULAR painted kitchen somewhere in the Napa Valley, but I can't remember which thread. )o: Thanks, Amy

Comments (33)

• debsan
    15 years ago

I can't help you, but I have to say I love your idea. You don't say whether you are planning a contemporary or more traditional kitchen. Either way, I'll offer my advice. I'm a big fan of taupes and greys, but have often found that taupes are difficult. If you don't chose well, they can look really dreary and outdated. Greys seem to be a little bit easier to work with. Are you thinking painted kitchen? If so, you'll probably be inspired by all the great painted kitchens in the gallery. The white kitchens on this site are very inspiring, but if you choose grey or taupe, your kitchen will be unlike anyone else's. Good luck.

• grammabois
    15 years ago

I am looking for a color to paint my ugly knotty pine cabinets. My house was built in the 1700's and someone made a bad attempt to remodel the kitchen. Any suggestions on a color that might not take away from the antique look of the house? My husband is very much against tearing out the cabinets so any idea is greatly appreciated.

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Shanghai Mom - Two high-end gray cabinet kitchens I know of are Martha Stewart's (traditional) and Colin Cowie's (glamorous modern). I've linked both below.

When Martha's kitchen was featured in her magazine, it generated a number of posts on this Forum. Opinions were divided between "beautiful" and "depressing", with a few jokes thrown in about it reminding Martha of her prison days. And Martha did choose a white marble for counters and backsplash, and a white farmhouse sink, which lightened everything. So, I think you do have to be careful about grays in a kitchen and balancing the color so as not to go overboard and end up with it looking dreary - you will have to live with it every day, and while you may see gorgeous ones in magazines, it's another thing to create that look in your own home.

Martha Stewart's Gray Kitchen - click on pics to make them bigger

Colin Cowie's Gray Kitchen

(Grammabois - you should start a new thread with your question; your post does not really relate to this thread, and you will get more responses if you start a new thread about your knotty pine cabinets.)

• danielle00
    15 years ago

someone here is in the middle of a kitchen reno with blue/grey cabinets. they are gorgeous.. I can't remember who.

Good luck with your project... our house is about the same age as yours and we are attempting to make the kitchen more functional and fit in more with the rest of the house.

• segbrown
    15 years ago

This site has lots of gray kitchens ... click on the left side for different styles

Here is a link that might be useful: kvanum

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

here are a couple of pics of gray/taupe. I was going to specify one as a custom color but it was a 25% upcharge so I just went with one of the factory colors. The first was my inspiration kitchen. The magazine's resource section listed the color as BM Sandy Hook Gray - if you see it in person it looks much darker than in the photograph.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I considered gray-green, khaki or taupe colored cabinets but totally chickened out! I think they would look great and I love the pictures above. The website for Plato cabinets has a couple of examples of kitchens in the colors you're considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plato Kitchens Gallery

• caligal
    15 years ago

Here are some examples of grey cabinets and islands:

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I knew help was on the way if I posted here. Allison's kitchen is not the one I remember seeing, but her color palette is spot on. In fact, although it is hard to tell from a photo, her island is THE color which has been floating around in my head. I can't do a cold grey because the rest of the woodwork in the house is a very deep cream color. The ceilings are 10 feet--I want some drama!! The kitchen has south and western exposure, so I think I'm okay on light. I got through the whole alphabet of finished kitchens and didn't find the one I was thinking of--the link was embedded in a post. The kitchen, like Allison's jaw-dropper, was featured in a magazine and had cabinets made in England...maybe it WAS Allison's!!?? But I don't think so. I'm overseas until June,(when I plan to begin the reno) so I can't buy kitchen mags--thank goodness for GW to feed the obsession and collect ideas! You all are the best....

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

My friend did taupe cabinets in BM Pale Oak with Carrera counters. They are lovely.

I did gray/greenish with Caluctta marble. Here is the link to my butler's pantry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butlers Pantry Photos

• redroze
    15 years ago

This is a gorgeous kitchen with white perimeter and taupe painted island from a Canadian home decorating magazine. I think it was from Canada House and Home...or it could have been Style At Home.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Willow, I love your Butler's pantry. You obviously have tall ceilings, too. Bosche's kitchen is the one I was trying to find! Thank you, thank you! I must have been thinking of the grayish greenish taupe on her range hood. Amazing how it is still stunning, FIVE YEARS after the build. I so want to end up with something comfy, elegant and timeless like that.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Atticmag has some beautiful gray kitchens on their site...not sure if any have actual gray cabinets though.
    Lately I am all about gray. It was not an option with our cabinets or I would have considered it, but our kitchen, mudroom, and first floor bathroom walls will be gray. My sister in law in San Francisco did gray cabinets with marble counters, but hers is a more contemporary look.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

The blog below has a kitchen with gray lower cabinets. Very sharp. Scroll down to January 9 to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Grace Interiors blog

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Redroze, this one is going in the permanent file--just gorgeous. Love the taupe color--combined with white and all of the soft, sparkly touches, this kitchen is sooo pretty. Love the crystal knobs and the way the multi-beige backsplash ties it all together. I'd probably do taupe perimeter cabs with whitish countertops, and a wood island. I think white would get trashed with my kids kicking it all the time. These are such great inspirational photos--there will be a rash of taupe kitchens coming up! (o:

• redroze
    15 years ago

No problem Shanghaimom! In case you wanted th edetails, the taupe island is painted "Flagstone" by Benjamin Moore. The perimeter counters are Crema Marfil marble and the backsplash is Crema Marfil tumbled marble mini bricks. The island counter is Japarana Perla granite.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bbstx, that blog is just....WOW. Right up my alley. Me: "Oh!....Oh!....OH!" (with each click of the mouse.) My family: WHAT are you LOOKING AT!!???"

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any others who have kitchens like this, or know of photos? This is the direction am am headed, and my "look book" is woefully thin compared to my stack of Peacock-esque white kitchens. Willowdecor, you don't have any pics of your friend's BM "Pale Oak" with Carrera, do you? I'd love to see it!

• alice462
    15 years ago

shanghaimom -

We are doing a more blue/grey, and didn't know if these would be any help. The photos don't show the depth of color in these well -- in daylight they seem blue, but much softer than shows in the photos. At night, they are grey. The photos also do not show the slight distressing that we have done. If you would like, I will try and get a close-up of that to post.

Perimeter -- painted cabs w/soapstone tops.

Island - stained alder with marble top

Bottom drawer that actually pulls out to be step....

• soshh
    15 years ago

This is my favorite thread! I think I started one last year without much success.

We did our old kitchen cabs a putty color (similar to BM Abingdon Putty) with soapstone counters and I loved it.

In our new (100 yr. old) house I am renovating our butler's pantry, and I want that "white" look again, but there is no white woodwork in the house, so I have chosen BM Coastal Fog.

I am so inspired by some of what I see here that I haven't seen in the past. (And I searched!)

We did our girls' bath cabs. a BM Aura color FLINT which is a deep blue-gray. I am thrilled with it, with all white tile (with dark grout), very pale warm gray walls (RH Ash). In our bath we did a combo of wood base cabs and the upper is white with a glaze and the end result is a soft gray.

Love it! Can't wait to read more when I have time later.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

victoriajane - any chance you could get some pics of your SIL's kitchen? Would love to see a contemporary look with marble counters. Thanks!

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for this thread! We just painted our kitchen BM White Heron and are looking for ideas for cabinet colors that will coordinate with our current blue tile floor and likely blue pearl granite countertop. He is not fully sold on grey, but I do have that as a possibility. Cream is out as that is what we have, and we hate it.

I like the picture with the grey lower cabinets and white uppers.

I agree on the taupes. I think some of them look "muddy" based on the BM paint chips I have, but perhaps you can make a shade work for you.

• soshh
    15 years ago

More inspiration shots from my files.

The second one is from a poster here who seems to not post anymore. He called it his Martha Stewart inspired kitchen. I think it's even better.

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alice, your kitchen is going to be amazing. It already looks beautiful. Is your microwave going in the open space above the "step drawer"? Very clever--I think I will steal that for sure! (Along with the cellphone charging drawer someone did.) Soshh, Coastal Fog is a GREAT color. I know I will have to get about 10 sample jars to come up with the right color for my light. They all look SO different depending on the environment. I am so grateful for all these photos--they will help convince DH that colored paint isn't "out there"--can be very classic.
    Our house leans a bit towards formal, and we don't want to veer off into farmhouse/cottage direction. (Which I like, but it doesn't work with the house.)

• shanghaimom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

darn, I could not get the photo to paste directly into the message, but check out this beauty!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• alice462
    15 years ago

shanghai - Yes, the micro will go in that open space and the step is for the 6 y.o., but will sure help me get to those high shelves above, too.

Good luck, your kitchen sounds gorgeous!

• jayav
    15 years ago

Check out http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/ and search for the Sammy Wheat kitchen which was the inspiration for willowdecor's pantry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cote De Texas

• jeniferrlynne
    15 years ago

I nearly missed this thread, so I am bumping for others to gawk. Loving the grey...

• robynkf
    14 years ago

Bump!!!! This is a great thread.

• kathec
    13 years ago

This a great thread. I've got a northern facing kitchen, so I assumed that I would go with a creamy white. However, I'm not totally sure. I'm painting, so I do have flexibility. My range is a vintage chambers in yellow. The color is an unusual pastel yellow with a greenish undertone. Could a gray-ish tone work?

Kathe

• Salgal54
    9 years ago

Shanghaimom, just stumbled upon this page and I am researching the VERY SAME colors for my kitchen re-do. Specifically the warm taupe color that would work with cream colored trim throughout the home. So - did you end up with this look? Do you have any photos or advice? I would love to hear the end of the story. Some of the blogs listed above a re fantastic - thanks for starting this very helpful thread.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Perfect timing....I'm looking for a grey taupey color, as well. Just started the search, so would also love to see what you ended up doing Shanghaimom. Great post. Thank you.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths