Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Start off the New Year with Backsplash Help

malhgold
14 years ago

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

I've been putting this off for a while and I just want to get it done. At first I was just going to do white ceramic subways with grey grout(to pull in the grey from the pantry cabs and marble), but feel that it might be too "safe". I haven't completely dismissed the idea, but want to explore the idea of some color before I take the plunge. I have a couple of different glass subways from modwalls. Do you like any of these? If I go with white(either ceramic or glass), the tile will go to the bottom of the range hood and across to each side wall. If I go with any of the colors, I will only do it behind the range.

the green seems to photograph more "green" than in person. It's more of what you would expect glass to look like. A lighter green.

There is also a brick fireplace at the other end of this room(this space doesn't look like this anymore. It now has my DR table and sliders out to the back).

Comments (50)

• dabunch
    14 years ago

I would go with white (center one). My second choice is the far left (blue-ish).
    You could always paint the walls whatever color you wish, but the splash will be more permanent. You won't get sick of the white. However too much of the other colors may limit your paint colors, and you may get tired of the other colors.

• jakabedy
    14 years ago

What dabunch said. Your kitchen is very soothing and too strong of a color on the splash could be a bit jarring. Beautiful kitchen, by the way.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Another vote for the white. Love your kitchen.

• lightlystarched
    14 years ago

Have you seen the backsplash tiles on the 2010 hgtv dream house? Those would look really cool in your kitchen.

http://www.hgtv.com/dream-home/kitchen-photos-hgtv-dream-home-2010/pictures/index.html

• fleur222
    14 years ago

After reading that others like the white, I can see why. There are so many other pretty elements in your kitchen, that I don't think you need a backsplash focal point.
    For a colored glass, I like the blue-grey one. It seems more subdued, ties into the countertop, compliments the orange stools, and seems to be close in color to the wall in the livingroom.
    What color is the glass tile on the far left? I am still exploring ideas for my kitchen.
    Congratulations for getting started so quickly in the new year. I had better get busy!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

IMO, plain white ceramics would take your kitchen in a 'vintage industrial' direction -- is that what you want?

Colored glass would go off in a more 'modern funky' direction, especially if your layout is not the 'traditional subway' design. Straight-laid, either horizontal or vertical, would be out of the ordinary. If you go that way, I'd choose the aqua or white.

But honestly, your space is so unique and wonderful, that I'm not sure glass subways is the way to go at all. (They're a more 'popular' look right now, and you've ignored most of the current the trends otherwise.) A smaller square glass mosaic could work well in your space. Or a sheet-glass with some sort of impressed pattern? Even a stainless steel 'quilt' behind the stove? Or stainless mosaic tiles?

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

I think that whatever backsplash you choose you should just do it under the hood. I like the clean white wall with the windows and think tile would look odd on the wall as it would be just a little tile in small spaces. So my suggestions are either a marble or stainless panel, or a colored glass panel which would add a modern accent.

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

Is one of the tiles the same color as the pantry cabs? If so, that would be something I think I would like. Almost any of the ones there would look great. I wouldn't go with the dark ones, though. Let us know what you choose!
    Lisa

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Not sure I could like something that was just behind the range since the hood is wider...But it looks like if you went as wide as the hood, you'd run partially into the outlets? I wouldn't mind going behind/around the outlets, but wouldn't want them breaking up the edge. Does that make sense?

I like Lisa's idea to match the pantry cabs, or otherwise, staying with white (your original vision which I think you know I've always liked) wouldn't change the look of your clean white walls, it would just add some texture, which I think would be nice.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I like Sweeby's idea of Mosaic tiles.
    Do you love any of the options you have in your picture?
    Or are they just in a hurry to finish?

Your kitchen is beautiful.
    I love the dark espresso cabinets with the stainless hood
    and even the hardware. Beautiful!

~boxerpups

Here are some tile ideas...

HGTV Mosaics

Cal Flower Blog

Google Image 25

Mario Tile Guy

Glass Mosiac

Mosaic Supply

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

I like the white or a soft neutral tile.
    And the 1st, 4th and 5th mosaics that Boxer posted.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

My last kitchen was very clean-lined and modern like yours. I decided that I needed something a bit hand-made in feeling to soften the look and integrate the kitchen with the rest of the house . I wanted something without clean edges so I went with hand-cut glass mosaic. If this idea resonates, take a look at Oceanside Glasstile Tessera or maybe even Geologie. The pics on the website don't do it justice. You'd need to go see it in person.

I like the slate blends and wonder if the Silver Peak might echo the SS, the white counters and the gray paint. The earthiness of the slate feels right with the wood in the island to me.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is so hard!!! I don't know how anyone ever decides. I like mosaics, but I just don't think I want them in the kitchen. I have them in my kids bathroom and love them there, but I'm just not sure they fit my vision of the kitchen(which if I really knew what that was I could have this finished!)

There have been a couple of interesting suggestions on the HOme Decorating forum from squirrelheaven and amysrq(near the bottom of the post)that I will be exploring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideas from Home Dec. Forum

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I love those patterned tiles! And YES - Those would be 'different' enough to keep your kitchen distinctive and not tip it toward any of the current 'looks'. If it were a well-known 'look' you were after, you'd have labeled it by know.

• sochi
    14 years ago

Malhgold - I too love those patterned tiles, wow. Please keep us posted on your exploration.

I may have to look into those too, hmm.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Do you have a budget on this? Heh? Heh? Want to see some amazing patterned tiles??

My problem in this discussion is that I'm really stuck on your early renderings. You kitchen looks so much like the drawings, and it looks so good, I'm having trouble imagining it otherwise. Strike that. I'm having trouble liking the result when I imagine it otherwise.

So, here are the arguments for the (boring) white subway tiles--real ones--white ceramic/porcelain, no crackle, no bevel, no handmade variations...but maybe some glitter or other shiny element to mod it up a bit: Look at the shapes in your design. You have rectangles. And rectangles within rectangles. The top of your hood (after the angle) is a rectangle. The fridge and shelves are rectangles. The pantry is a rectangle of rectangles within rectangles. The island is a rectangle as is the range. The modern cabinetry is all plain rectangles and the pulls are linear. Even the bricks on the opposite wall are rectangles.

So we should change it up, you say? Nay! You have this sleek, suave design. It's very organic-industrial, which is a pushmepullyou and very hard to achieve. I'd like to see the whole window wall done in the plain white subways, and then have you dress over it with sharp things. Bright red flowers in a curvy, tall black vase. Etc. A backdrop to your life, not a fringed, velvet curtain pulling all eyes stageward.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pllog - i just have to say that you are a very poetic writer! I could read your commments over and over again.

Now...back to the tile. I have no idea what my budget is, but I'd LOVE to see the patterned tiles you mentioned.

BTW...it's funny you made the point about being stuck on the original rendering, as that's what Rhome keeps telling me. I just want to make sure I've examined all my options before deciding. And I may very well stick with the white subways, but want to make sure I'm doing it for all the right reasons.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

If you do go with white subways, I'd agree with Pllog that they need to be plain white, matte, flat, almost rectified in their cut -- severely simple.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh, well, the options! There are so many, many options!

Thanks for the kind words! I had a mini-vacation and was warm and well rested. :D

Okay, these are strictly for the if you have to ask you can't afford them crowd.

Chateau

Above is a waterjet cut stone mosaic. There are more!!!

The site is called "Archi Tonic" and they have all kinds of amazing stuff, including mosaics. They are not retailers. Anyone wanting information should deal through a tile store, architect or designer.

The names are above the sample, though it doesn't always look like it.

Oriental Dreams

Vine glass Mosaic Ann Sacks

The above is the one I thought would look amazing with my bamboo and green soapstone.

But then there are the wall tiles like

Tracce Fiori

Pareti d'Autore tile

Fluid Fiorio 3

Visual Decoro Foglie Silver tile

Ethnic Waves Malibu

Ethnic Bubbles Sand

These are just a few. There are hundreds of options. SO many beautiful things. I never asked the price on the Ann Sacks mosaic. I assume it's too much money...

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Yay, Plllog. ;-D I really am having trouble letting go of the completely tiled white wall, too. Could be subways, or subway shape, but larger...Or larger for a while, then smaller at the top like you talked about once, Malhgold.

I remembered today and wondered what happened to the white matte glass tiles? I think I liked them because they looked like classic white subways but gave the 'twist' you seemed to be reaching for.

I could get excited about the wall covered in a patterned tile, but your patterned blinds would have to go!

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still looking for the backsplash. here are a couple of other options. The colors are looking much more blue here than in real life. From the left, the first and third are a mix of marbles. 2nd from the left is carrerra and the one on the right is a statuary marble(more white than the carrera). Is there a pattern you prefer? I'm thinking these would only be behind the range and then a white subway tile stacked either vertically or horizontally.

and here is a pic of the other end of the room with the fireplace wall(been wanting to paint it for 16 years, but don't have the guts)and the table. The chairs really need to be recovered(hate the burgundy) but I don't feel like spending the $$ right now.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I like the small statuary marble mosaic to the far right. Its almost textural more than anything else.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Okay, nevermind the tile....just paint the fireplace. :-) I painted a two-story brick colonial once, a very long time ago. You can do it!

I am hardly fit to advise on tile since I am in my own personal circle of hell trying to figure out what to do in my kitchen. But I do think the random modular is a refreshing change from all the mosaic patterns we've been seeing for years now.

I love the "industrial-organic" moniker and think that some kind of natural material, like the Oceanside slate I suggested before or the marble you're considering, is a nice nod to the organic part.

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

mahlgod, I'm having a hard time trying to select a back splash for my kitchen. You have a beautiful kitchen. I agree that the white subway would be the way to go, but suggest you go with a color glass tile over the range. I believe that's what my final decision will be. Can I ask where you found the gray subway glass tile? what is it called? I'm think of using it as a border right above the granite.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I like the two on the right best with horizontal subways. They each will contrast well.

But for some reason, what I see over your range is a big circle. Which doesn't even fit the scale of the wall. Weird, huh?

But I think they'd look most interesting in a defined space.

I think I like the rightmost most of all.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I think my 2 cents is 4 x 8 marble - one row across the entire run. Stainless or sheet glass above the range. If sheet glass consider backpainting with the pale gray-blue on your cabinets or a pale green.

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Maybe a crazy idea...but how about the one on the far right on the whole wall, all the way up to the ceiling. All the same, nothing different behind the range. I liked the first one boxerpups showed and that gave me the idea. Plus it seems to go with that wall.

Whatever you choose will look great...love your kitchen!!

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rufinorox - the glass tile is from modwalls. The color is rain.

I'm starting to think the other tiles are looking too grey and depressing.....maybe adding in more marble is looking too traditional.

Oyyyyyy!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Modwalls

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

Malhgold, thanks! I know what you're feeling ... I'm in the same boat. I think it would look nice, but yes could be to traditional if you're trying to stay contemporary. what do you think of the pictures above listed under HGTV mosiacs the 5th picture Glass Mosaic. I really love that look. That would look beautiful with your kitchen.

• winkwink
    14 years ago

what a beautiful kitchen...and I know what you're going through....though I lean toward plain, your wall made me think of this....a gorgeous pattern

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiled Kitchen Wall

• karen_belle
    14 years ago

I'm in the middle of backsplash muddling myself, loved all the comments here. Honestly, I like all of the tiles you picked and would love to see you use white, black, gray and green in a pattern. Larger format rectangular tiles will read as more modern, the tiny 1" mosaics will probably not. I think your photograph shows 3x6 tiles? Do they come any larger? We're using 4x12 glass and it is really quite big.

There's another totally different material I saw in a local store a few weeks ago that might be really cool in your kitchen. It's kind of expensive, but check it out. I've provided a link below, but here is a photo of one sheet of material -

They make sheets with beautiful color, texture, inlays, you name it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3form

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

winkwink - love that patterned tile wall. The link I included from my Jan. 2nd posting to the Home Dec. forum shows a similar look. Haven't had any luck finding any tiles like these.

karenbelle - where did you find the 4X12's in glass?

I'm actually back to considering the blue/green glass tile on the left from my first posting. I'm thinking of using it just behind the range and staggering the ends. Mick DeGiulio has a pic of this on his website and I think it looks kind of cool. However...I'll probably change my mind again!!

• karen_belle
    14 years ago

Mahlgold, we're getting our 4x12 from a local vendor, but here's a link for something similar. There are lots of 4x12 glass tiles out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4x12 white glass tile

• midwifekim
    14 years ago

I lean to the patterned tiles and the symmetrical shades of white you posted. We are in the early stages of our remodel- and of course I'm getting ahead of myself thinking about tile! Our aesthetic is in harmony with yours, so I'm eager to see what you will choose. Tiles I like (today) are

http://mandalatile.com/images/fullsize/LD-CrescentOro_v.jpg
    http://mandalatile.com/images/fullsize/LD-UnityOro_v.jpg
    http://www.glasstile.com/images/userImages/2P6EJX7E51277
    http://www.glasstile.com/images/userImages/9PUQ92N30871.jpg.jpg

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I usually let others comment on choices but I think you have a terrific kitchen and introducing a color wall there will throw off the symmetry.

Glass tile is so expensive and if one loves it well get what you love. I do feel you could do better pricewise and get essentially the same effect with a rusticated white glazed tile with some texture or a very subtle pale gray glazed tile that ties into the carrara and stainless. I'd do the whole wall for max effect.

Here's a kitchen with a similar look that I think would work well in yours -- sort of like a very pale version of the brick wall in the adjacent room -- glasstile pulls in a different direction from that.

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic white splash

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

At this point, I'm leaning towards 3X6 subway tile, but stacked instead of brick style. I'm concerned that a full wall of white tile laid brick style would be too much with the fireplace wall.

I also saw a fabulous pic(which of course I can't find now) of an installation of this oval tile from Heath Ceramics just behind a range. I would do it all horizontally. Thoughts??

And then there is this Ann Sacks tile, but in white. However, if the price is correct, it's not even a consideration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the pic of the oval tile behind the range. A little hard to see.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

That white textured AS tile is perfect. That looks a no-brainer to me -- not too minimal and complentary to the brick. There's a close up of the same install on the link. But the price is gonzo. AS regularly gets sampled or copied so why not ask for help finding? I'll be someone has something similar bookmarked. Alternately, there is a low-profile pillow or crackle?

I'd go bigger than 3 x 6 -- usually I find big tile a bit horsey but your room can take it. This has the look I'm talking about this gray tile in larger size the caption says 4 x 4 white offset but it's clearly wrong. This looks like some type of larger honed marble or marble-look porcelain tile though it's admittedly less sympathetic to the brick.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile closeup

• sochi
    14 years ago

mahlgold - every option you have shown is lovely and would look great in your already fabulous kitchen. That said, the Heath Ceramic oval is my all time favourite tile bar none! It is just so unique, so utterly fabulous. It breaks my heart that I don't think I'll be able to do it in my kitchen (although it isn't entirely out of the question yet), so I'd love to see it in your kitchen!

I love the Ann Sachs too, for similar reasons to the Heath. Unique and gorgeous.

Please keep us posted!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

That Heath Ceramic tile was EXACTLY the one I first imagined when I saw your OP. It's gorgeous, interesting, matte and yet stays with your design focus of clean-lined, semi-industrial and unique.

I also have a few pictures that I can't figure out how to upload because I pasted them onto a Word doc, that I will try and send you. They have samples of tiles that go all the way up the wall.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I'm confused about the oval tile. Is that the Heath? AS was used in one pic. I don't personally care about tile brand if I get the look I want. If Heath gives you that it's what I'd do, stacked horizontal. I'd prefer glossy to matte. It will look great.

• basianov
    14 years ago

I would like to see an option that incorporates the color you have on the pantry cabinets (a glass green?). If you are going to choose something that is primarily white, I would randomly incorporate that color within the design.

So far, my favorite is what you posted here on the far right. Does it have any of that color in it? It seems to, but I can't really tell! If you choose this, I would do the entire wall, all the way up to the ceiling. I think that it would provide some really subtle texture against all of the strong elements in your kitchen.

My next favorite is the oval tile - now THAT is unique. If you are going to do all white, I would choose that for sure.

Personally, I think white subway tile, even stacked, would be a bit boring.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The oval tile is on both the Ann Sacks site and the Heath Ceramics site. On the Ann Sacks site, it's listed under "Heath". so I guess Ann Sacks sells it for them, as they do other designers. With that being said, maybe it would be "slightly cheaper" to go to the source itself, although that's not going to make much of a difference as these are much more $$ than I ever expected to spend. If it winds up being THE tile, it might be worth it.

basianov - the pantry cabs are actually a light grey and that tile on the right does pick up some of that color. I'm just not sure I want to do marble. I did also see the other day a 1/2"X2" calcutta marble mosaic that was stunning, so that's an option as well, but I just wonder if marble will take the kitchen in a different direction than I was planning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

I've always loved that Heath tile too, but wondered about practicality...it seems like it would accumulate a lot of grease and gunk in the kitchen and be difficult to clean. Especially, god forbid, over a workhorse range.

I absolutely love this kitchen. Absolutely. Love.

If you're going to do the stone, I'd just make sure it references the top of your island, it's hard to see whether/which they do in your pics, but I think that's going to be the net effect.

I don't think there's a wrong answer here, either the light turquoise (but you might tire of it), the white (will make it look finished but not add any "bling") or the stone (I think that will take it more toward the traditional.)

So it's really up to you...color? continuity? or classic?

Any way you go, it will look fabulous, it's a really, really great space.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I like the concept of the 2x4 or 2x8 stacked plain tiles cause it will contribute to your design without overwhelming.

I'm thinking your kitchen is a little more up close and personal than your sample pics of the oval tile. You won't have the perspective view shown in the photo. Are you going to be ok if the oval tile overtakes the rest of your very lovely, but quiet design?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bmore - you make a good point. My kitchen is not very deep, so when you walk it, that back wall isn't very far away. So maybe those tiles will be "too much". Aside from that, I just calculated that I need about 41 sq.ft. of tile to do the whole wall and that's just not happening with the price of the oval tile.

So...some choices are:
    1) just do oval tile behind range
    2) do oval tile behind range and matching stacked plain tile on the rest of the wall
    3) Stacked plain tile on entire wall. What size? The fireplace tiles are 2X8. Should I do a completely different size than those?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Went and got a sample. It's nice!!! $14.25 per tile...ouch!
    So then I was thinking, what if I randomly inserted the ovals in with the same size subway shaped basic tile? The link below has it mixed with another tile, but I'm talking even more random than that.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1580898}}

• sochi
    14 years ago

Great idea, I do think doing the random option would work - it looks great in the picture and might be a way to get that look without overwhelming the space or your pocketbook.

I've never actually had a sample of the tile, I'm so envious. Exactly how matte is it? What are your thoughts on cleaning issues - would it be difficult to clean if it was behind a cook top?

The price is a little crazy, but it is so lovely ...

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The matte sample is REALLY matte. Almost chalky texture. I don't think it will be difficult to clean. There aren't any "nooks" for gunk to get stuck in. It looks a little different in person, at least to me. Or maybe the glossy tiles above make it appear more 3 dimensional.

• amyamster
    13 years ago

when we were ready to update our kitchen, we bought our kitchen backsplash tile from http://www.glasstilewarehouse.com/. they have a very large selection of products at very competitive prices.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor