Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_tlc_gw

DIY tile backsplash

mrs_tlc
16 years ago

We have medura gold counters and are doing 6"x6" travertine tile in a diamond pattern w/2"x2" medura gold inserts. Hubby is very handy and meticulous but has never done any wall tile before. Any suggestions???

Comments (7)

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Would love to see pictures of your tile back splashes.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

In case you haven't seen it, there are TONS of inspiration pictures of finished backsplashes in the Finished Kitchen Backsplash Slideshow. Someone else will need to comment on the DIY aspect, but if your DH is meticulous, I'm sure it can be done. Bill Vincent might have some words of wisdom. Good luck.

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

Hubby installed our tile backsplash it's 2x2 honed and filled travertine mosaic and white onyx and tumbled marble listello. Just tell him to lay out the design before putting it up. I'm sure the experts can give much better techincal advice.

Before grout:

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

Diamond pattern is much more complicated than laying it straight. I've done lots of wall tiling over the years and am currently tiling a very large backsplash in a diamond pattern. It was very challenging in the beginning. It is very time consuming because of all the cuts. I'm in no way discouraging you from doing it, just letting you know that it's a lot harder.

I laid the design out on the wood subfloor before I started because it's real hard to temporarily stick the tile on the wall. However, I DID find a way to do that so I could check the placement of everything, especially cuts around outlets. Good luck.

• cordovamom
    16 years ago

My hubby did our backsplash himself, you can see the whole process at the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY kitchen backsplash

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I have a new gallery I just set up on my website, and part of that is finished backsplashes. I've posted the link below. As for words of wisdom, the best thing I can tell you is take your time. When you're working in it yourself, the labor's free, and it's not a matter that it HAS to be finished quickly so you can use the area. 10 minutes after you clean up, you can be cooking. So you can do part of it today, work on it some more tomorrow, and so on, until it's done. Being meticulous is much more important in this case than in most tile installations, because of the fact that it's up higher than most tile work, so it's going to be right where people will be looking, and in addition, it sounds like you're going to really dress this up, so as to be the focal point, so take your time.

One other thing-- don't use mastic to set the stone. use a portland cement based latex modified thinset. If you use mastic, there's a chance you'll end up with oils from the mastic leaching thru the stone and leaving a nice oil stain in the stone. It'll clear up after a month or two, but it's going to look like crap until then.

Here is a link that might be useful: my website's gallery

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all who have responded to this. All of the info will be very helpful. Special thanks about the portland cement suggestion!!