Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vsbonanni_gw

Should I mix cabinet colors?

vsbonanni
13 years ago

I think I may mix 2 cabinet colors but I'm not sure if it's a decorating no-no or not. I would like to use a white (not pure white but not too creamy) cabinet with a grey highlight on the top cabinets and a very dark brown on the bottom cabinets. I would have liked to use the dark on an island but I don't think the kitchen is big enough for a nice island. I could put a few white cabs. in with the dark (under the sink etc..) The flooring is still undecided. Thanks, I've seen so many great kitchens on here but none that mix the cabinets in this way.

Comments (20)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Dark lowers and white uppers:

Blue uppers and Grey Lowers:

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

There are a lot of great kitchens here that have 2 colors or even more (the thread "Can I see your kitchens with no or open upper cabs?" has farmhousebound and sandyponder; there are many more--sorry I don't know how to imbed but it is searchable). It certainly is not a decorating no-no; your kitchen should make YOU happy. My kitchen has three colors and I'm sure some think it is horrid, but we love it and in the end that is all that matters. Yours sounds like it will be lovely however you mix the finishes!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: my finished kitchen with 3 colors

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I was picturing a really cool Victorian look until you mentioned putting in a different color for a few of the base cabs. That needs to be done really carefully. I have seen it done really well with sleek modern cabs but it sounds like you aren't going modern to me.

I'm going to use a few different cab colors in my Victorian kitchen but each run or piece (unfitted) will be wholly that color. Ie my sink and dw are on a run of their own and will likely be done to look like an old dry sink so that short run will be one color. On either side of the window above I'll have open cabs which willl likely be either metal or a different wood as if they were shelves added later. The two islands will both be different. Than those pieces, one in oak likely to resemble an old grocery counter (may even be that if I can find one) and the other will be painted and will look like a dresser or something similar. But on the wall that is all cabs none of the other tones will be scattered in, it will just be painted, probably another color :).

So it can be done but put a very careful eye on it. I did once see a fabulous kitchen in a mag like you are describing and my favorite part was a beautiful china cabinet they put right in the middle of a run. The top and bottom were black and the top came down to the counter top height. The thing that made it work so well was that they raised the countertop on that cabinet up about an inch and did it in black marble. The balance of that run was gray painted cabs with white marble. It was really fab!

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Here's one.

Here is a link that might be useful: white uppers brown lowers

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Sounds great, but as Igloochic caught, and then pointed out, if you plan to mix some of the light ones into the bases, it gets tricky...Not impossible, just more challenging to get 'right', so it doesn't look piecemeal or somehow hokey. It has to 'make sense.' But as the examples you've been given show...A great look, overall.

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Here's mixed bottoms.

Here is a link that might be useful: mixed bottoms

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Here's a link to a gallery of photos of a cherry lowers/white uppers kitchen. This is Amish-made. They did two colors because the kitchen was small and having all-cherry would have made it look smaller.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry and white cabinets

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love a mix of cabinets.
    Here are a few more mixed...
    ~bp

GreenWood Kitchens

Quaoified Remodeler

Edwardian Cream

BHG

Kitchen Ideas

Lancaster

HGTV

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Well, I think mixed uppers and bottoms look great...I had them in my last kitchen (which I left before I was tired of it) and am repeated the theme in the one that is underway. As several others noted, making it work revolves around different colored pieces looking "whole"...either a full run along the top or bottom, or a piece that is set off from what surrounds it by a different height, different countertop material or both.

In my last kitchen all the lowers were painted a colonial green. The uppers were walnut, as was one run of full height cabinets, that incorporated the refrigerator and wall oven.

I think you'll find you'll love the mixed look, I certainly do!

• never_ending
    13 years ago

jterrilyn- Your upper cabinets are such show stoppers I missed your bottom cabinets entirely and I've looked at your kitchen A LOT in various threads!!! What a beautiful design mix- WOW! I can't believe I missed that because I am a huge fan of mixed cabinet colors! I hope I never am called in as a witness...LOL!

• vsbonanni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your info. You guys are great!

• toddimt
    13 years ago

I was wondering sort of the same thing in terms of mixing uppers and lowers. Or even one wall versus another. Not sure if it would work in my situation/layout. I was looking at darker oak floors & soapstone counters (black/green). Like the white/off white/cream cabinets but not sure what else may pair well with the floor/countertop choice if anything. Trying to see if something jumps out at me vs all white.

Don't want to hijack the thread though ;). I can start a new thread if need be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Kitchen Layout

• vsbonanni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@todds..I really like all the pics of the mixed cabinets but I'm just not sure what it would look like in a "normal" sized kitchen. I'm having a hard time commiting to anything. Don't worry about hijacking the tread..we are in the same boat!

• xand83
    13 years ago

We mixed uppers and lowers in our condo kitchen. White on top, beech on the bottom, and our kitchen is definitely not a grandiose room. I think some of the above pics show kitchens bigger than our entire condo! haha. I like the contrast and wanted something a little visually interesting in the small space. Good luck!

• vsbonanni
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think we are going to do it. I've found a very dark brown for the bottom & a nice slightly off white for the uppers. The floor we are thinking of is a porcelain tile with grey and a hint of beige to keep it from being too cold. I'm driving my DH nuts...lol

• stagman
    13 years ago

We were thinking of doing something like this too, but were thinking to do dark (cherry) uppers with creamish bottoms. If anyone has seen this done, could you be so good as to point us to some pictures. Thanks and sorry for the hijack.

• debbie1031
    13 years ago

bump

• sis2two
    13 years ago

I am another with mixed cabinets and would do it again. My uppers are stained maple and lowers a deep green with soapstone. I don't consider my kitchen large but really don't think that matters with regard to mixing finishes. I don't think you will regret it if you are drawn to that look.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Stagman, KD Jean Stoffer did something like that in one of her kitchens. See link below to see pics of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jean Stoffer Design: Modern classic