Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katya10

Electrolux wall oven-died (again) after self-clean

katya10
9 years ago

I don't know where to begin regarding my experience with my Electrolux wall oven and with Electrolux customer service in general.

The model I am talking about is the EW30EW5CGS5 that we purchased in 2009. From the start it has been plagued with the same problem/flaw. The oven dies after a self clean cycle. Unacceptable for a high end product that has self clean as one of its features and selling points.

From the start I have been met with resistance and shirking of responsibility from Electrolux Canada regarding this problem.
While under warranty, I had repairmen in on several occasions (one even had the audacity to suggest we not use self-clean!)

Why the onus for a problem apparently inherent (as evidenced from all the complaints online) to this oven should be placed on owners is beyond me.

I find Electrolux's response to this reprehensible. When I spoke to customer service today, the guy was almost smug in telling me-well the appliance is over 5 years old-what do I expect type of thing. When I tried to explain that this was a problem from the start I got the usual-nothing we can do.

How is it Electrolux can get away with this? Countless complaints online regarding their high end products and shoddy customer service. Blatant disregard for consumers and the consumers satisfaction in their product.

We will never buy an Electrolux/Frigidaire appliance again. Buyer beware.

Finally just as a side note. I am not one to take to the internet with a rant of any kind. Not my style at all. I guess the injustice of this has compelled me not to remain silent and to advise people who are researching buying new appliances.

Comments (15)

• bpath
    9 years ago

After hearing similar complaints about many self clean ovens, I have never used it on the oven (not Electrolux) we bought 2 years ago. We had enough trouble just with the install (involving 2 different brands, several trips to the house of deliver, undeliver, install, uninstall, carve, up amperage, etc.)so I wasn't about to risk it.

It's the electronics overheating that seems to be a problem, But the poor customer service stories are appalling.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

So often, I read of people having problems after using self-clean. What is the point of having a self-clean cycle if the appliance isn't built to handle it??

I'm sorry you've had so many problems with your oven, Katya. I agree that the response you received is totally unacceptable.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

My GE Profile oven shut down with the door locked after I used the self clean feature within the first year I had the oven. I was able to get it working again by resetting the breaker in the electric panel even though it hadn't tripped. I haven't used the self clean since. Have read that this occurs fairly frequently in lots of models. So I try to keep my oven clean as I use it by wiping up spills or splatters as they occur.
    You are right though, I self cleaning oven should be able to be self cleaned.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Think there'll be a class action suit that we can get in on?

• katya10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I havent heard of any class action suit but would certainly be interested if one was initiated.
    There has to be some accountability here.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The good news is that the ovens are better insulated than ever and will hold heat much longer with less risk of scorching your cabinetry during both baking and self clean cycles. They are safer to use during self clean with less risk of fires. The bad news is that heat doesn't escape away from the oven as much. The oven and surround hold that heat in, and electronics don't like heat. Almost every single manufacturer has issues with the self clean cycle and electronics. It's pandemic in the industry. So, although it sucks, they are right: Just don't use the self-clean feature.

• katya10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If electronics don't like heat and this is pandemic in the industry, how is it self clean continues to survive as a feature that adds to the price of the product. Shouldnt there be a " use at your own risk" warning at least so that consumers can make educated guesses in their future appliance purchases?
    I think this is another example of placing responsibility and fault with the consumer.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

You said your repair man told you to quit using the self-clean. Is there a reason you used the self-clean after being told it wasn't advisable?

While I understand your frustration, I too, have replaced a circuit board after a self-clean cycle, I stopped using it. I have a dirty oven, but it works.

If you decide to replace rather than repair the oven, you will encounter the same frustration with the self-clean cycle as you have with the current oven. The only helpful advice I have seen about this issue is to use the self-clean only during the warranty period. Once the warranty period has passed, clean the oven manually.

• katya10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure where my reply to the last response went to but here goes again.
    It was only one repairman's opinion. The others did not say this.
    This still doesn't address the original problem. Selling an item described as self cleaning and not owning up to said item failing when feature of oven is used.
    I don't think I am the only one who finds the absurdity of this.
    I specifically bought this oven for the reason it was self clean. I
    owned a manual clean oven before and didn't want to go down that road again. That people have to be resigned to either having dirty ovens or manually cleaning a self cleaning oven, in or out of warranty is outrageous. Unacceptable in any industry.

Unacceptable in any industry

• Nicole
    9 years ago

I find it absurd too. If they can't keep the self clean cycle from killing the ranges, the should remove the "feature" or have better warranties--in other words, guarantee their product to perform how it's advertised to for more than a laughable year.

• picabelle
    9 years ago

I feel for you, Katya. I have the same oven and just recently cleaned it for the first time, but I did so manually. A long time ago I recall reading that self cleaning functions just didn't work and could fry an oven so I've abstained. But you bought the oven specifically because of the self cleaning function so that smarts. The overall issue I have with the oven is that I can't trust baking times. I was so hoping that the oven would be true to the temp setting but I've found that I have to bake my cookies at 335 and not 350 if I don't want them to burn. Always second guessing the oven when baking is the biggest disappointment.

• iroll
    9 years ago

Maybe this is too simplistic, but why couldn't a high-speed fan go on during the cleaning cycle to keep the heat away from the electronics? I, too have a self-cleaning oven, but have not tried the feature yet (and it's out of warranty). I do recall reading that if you run the cleaning cycle for less than the 3-hour average, it would still clean the oven, but not do (as much?) damage. I agree with you, Katya about the absurdity.

• happyallison
    9 years ago

I had a Whirlpool oven (2007?) that I self cleaned ( not frequently as I didn't have a lot of build up) and never had a problem ( though it ran hot and had hot spots). I think it's ludicrous to pay so much additional for a self clean oven ( big price jump) and not be able to use it. It performs as self clean or doesn't, seems pretty black and white to me. Do newer models have this issue? I was considering Elex but this gives me pause. If I'm shelling out the money it better do it's job as it is described.

• silken1
    9 years ago

I feel for you and agree that the idea of not using it to solve the problem is ludicrous. It's a feature that is on the oven and you paid for so it should work. I finally got a new GE Profile induction/convection range 1 1/2 years ago. I had never had self clean for all my adult life and wished for it. Now that I have it I am afraid to use it. I think back a few years ago when many of the range and oven controls were manual knobs, the heat wasn't a problem. Now it is indeed frying circuit boards on numerous brands. I went an entire year without using it. Finally after a nasty grease spill at Christmas I got brave and used it. Nothing bad happened. Mine has the option to use it for up to 5 hours but as low as 3 hours. I did do 5 but won't do that again. I will try 3 hours. I am still afraid to use it when I want and will leave it till my oven is too hard to clean manually. I know the latest Samsung induction/convection range does not offer it. It has steam clean instead. That's great for small messes but I don't think it will work real well on a bad mess in the oven.