Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Perfectly staged kitchen

I was browsing the OldHouseDreams site, and found an example of how staging with one perfect accessory can 'make' a kitchen (or any room, really.) Notice how the KA was chosen to match the subtle electric wire and outlets? Without the mixer to unite the two elements, I might have missed the wiring completely.

{{gwi:2135682}}

The seller has coordinated the decor in the other rooms with additional 'pops' of red, to create flow throughout the house. Another example--the shoe storage just off the entry:

{{gwi:2135683}}

;), of course.

It's actually lovely--the exterior looks immaculate, with original wood trim and wonderful built-in cabinetry in the living and dining areas. The kitchen and bath, however, look as if they belong in a different house. The only mention of the kitchen in the listing description:

"A large kitchen opens to a deck."

Here is a link that might be useful: California bungalow

Comments (9)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I love that house! I would love to restore it. I wouldn't even update the kitchen and bath, just paint and repair cabinets and add new(old) hardware. But I would get rid of the microwave "cart/shelf?" That's a hoot!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

A red KA mixer makes any house a must buy.

Seriously, that is a wonderful house. The kitchen and bath can be dealt with but what would concern me is why are there bars on the windows? Bad area?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

zorroslw, I know!! Where does that blocked door go? I thought the contrast between the sad, neglected kitchen, and the 75 or so pairs of shoes was a little eerie. In one shot of the shoe room, there is a craft center--maybe the seller is a designer (shades of Silence of the Lambs), and the MW shelf serves a double purpose.

Seriously, I'd much rather see an original kitchen in need of TLC, than a 60's, or later, update. I always scroll quickly through the other pics on that site, to get to the kitchens, and I'm almost always disappointed.

I've wasted the last hour there, and found an updated kitchen that does not disappoint. Although the layout isn't as functional as KD's might suggest, it's sensitive and appropriate to the house style and period. (Edit: Oops, meant to add pic.) And I might point out, that in a clean, well maintained kitchen, one can camouflage the KA, if one prefers:

{{gwi:2135684}}

However, in this one, I couldn't live with all the dark wood walls elsewhere in the house.

(debrak, see first paragraph.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cute as a button. :)

This post was edited by mama_goose on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 11:52

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Sorry, I'm not thinking today....which paragraph?

• eam44
    9 years ago

I see your creative wiring, and raise you some fake plants. I hate these in kitchens. Who has room for this kind of nonsense on the counter or above?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

debrak, first paragraph of that post: Where does that blocked door go? I thought the contrast between the sad, neglected kitchen, and the 75 or so pairs of shoes was a little eerie. In one shot of the shoe room, there is a craft center--maybe the seller is a designer (shades of Silence of the Lambs), and the MW shelf serves a double purpose.

EAM, the grass must be someone's idea of Zen. ;)

• llucy
    9 years ago

I really loved the second house, so unique. I can't imagine enjoying all those brown wood rooms though. Super cool for somebody else I'm sure.

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

There's original linoleum (the real thing) in that kitchen. Don't think I've ever seen that in the wild before.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Other funny things in the kitchen: the top drawers are smaller than the cabinets below. Look at the upper left of the sink: the handle is too high, so just use your dirty hands right on the door and never clean it. Nice range, though! Oops, no DW. I'm outta there lol!