Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanteach

Kitchen 'refresh' finished! Some new, some old. Lots of pics.

jeanteach
14 years ago

Thanks to everyone here for great advice on this refresh of my 80's kitchen. We replaced the counters, sink, faucet, backsplash, and cooktop. Kept the cabinets but put some glass in a few and switched out some hardware. Kept the fridge and DW. I considered replacing the Thermador double ovens, but they work great and so now am considering them "vintage". Will happily provide details to anyone who is interested. Hope you like it, and many thanks again. What a wonderful forum!

Before:

(Actually this was after the beadboard had been installed. It was just the bare end of the cabinet before that.)

After:

Comments (32)

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Simply elegant! Very nice-love it. Great pops of red. Now details on countertop, etc. please!

• jeanteach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more photo:
    {{gwi:1580294}}

• prill
    14 years ago

that looks beautiful. You did a wonderful job. I love the countertop. What is that?

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Wow what a transformation! It looks like a totally different kitchen. I love love love your soapstone. BRAVO!

• megpie77
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks wonderful! Looks like you had a great kitchen to spruce up. Love those countertops. Congradulations!

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Beautiful job. I agree with everyone about the lovely countertops. I also like your new hardware and especially the faucet. Details?

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

The beveled edge subway! Maybe that's what I need. Tell me about it.

• trish21
    14 years ago

Love the transformation! The counters are sooo lovely. I love the addition of the glass cabinets. Very classic. Enjoy!

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! I love that you were able to keep your cabinets and appliances and still create a kitchen that looks all brand new. Your choices on everything (counters, tile, hardware) are very pretty.

• hmdennis
    14 years ago

Wow! Great Job! What a transformation without a total demolition! I love the counters and the backsplash tile. And your island has a really great configuration, looks very comfy too! Think of the money you saved and the waste you kept out of the landfill!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

What a great, wonderful difference! Very elegant and I don't think anyone would realize the whole kitchen wasn't new.

Believe me, with the oven hassles I've been through in the last 2 yrs, if you have ovens that work great, I think you should definitely keep them!

• keptoz
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! I really looks like you have an entirely new kitchen. We have the exact same Thermador Ovens in our 80's kitchen - Sadly, the top oven doesn't hold any temp other than broil & the bottom oven is completely dead. It's actually what got us started on our remodel.

Enjoy - love it!

• marytwit
    14 years ago

Hooray, Jean! It's beautiful -- and I notice that everyone thinks it's soapstone!

I've wanted to ask who your granite source was -- I've pretty much decided to follow in your footsteps but am coming up empty-handed down here in Florida looking for slabs

These pics are a testament to how beautiful JM can be.

• missmuffet
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks wonderful - esp. those new counters and subway tiles!

• amberley
    14 years ago

Great facelift! I am so jealous of you guys who have a decent base to start with and just need to do refreshing!

So that is Jet Mist? I too was fooled that it was soapstone!
    What faucet is that? It looks alot like what I got- Perrin and Rowe?

Details!! :)

• heart-of-dixie
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!! What kind of sink did you use? I am wanting a single basin sink.

• jeanteach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I must admit it's a little intimidating to post a finished kitchen here because so many of them are so gorgeous. It's really nice to hear that so many of you like the changes.
    Details:
    Counters: Jet Mist (aka Virginia Mist) honed and enhanced, dupont edge on island and eased edge on perimeter
    Cooktop: Wolf 36 inch five burner gas (we switched from electric to lp gas)
    Downdraft: Thermador
    Backsplash: 3x6 white lanka beveled subway tile, 3x6 breil chair rail tile
    Faucet: Blanco "Grace", chrome with sidespray
    Sink: Elkay undermount single bowl, 18 gauge stainless
    Hardware: Richelieu 3 inch chrome pulls, HD chrome knobs, glass knobs on lower doors but can't remember source
    Hope this answer everyone's questions, and thank you again for your feedback!

• jeanteach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary:
    Forgot to answer your Jet Mist question. I got it from Marble and Granite in Milford, CT. Perhaps if you call them they might be able to recommend a supplier in your area. Good luck!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Pardon me for getting to the party so late! Jeanteach, I really love your new kitchen! Everything works together so nicely. I especially like the countertops and the pillow tile on the backsplash. And. is that a sky light or artificial lighting over your island? Either way, it's wonderful. Two thumbs up!

• squigs
    14 years ago

fabulous facelift. looks like a whole new kitchen! love your microwave!

• jeanteach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Marthavila: yes, it is a skylight, which brightens up the kitchen so much.
    Squigs: I almost fainted when I saw that microwave at Target, because it was the perfect color. My husband was with me at the time and could not get over my reaction! Then, months later I found the toaster oven from the same manufacturer, also in red, and was thrilled. It's the little things!

• semi
    14 years ago

What a lovely transformation! Adding my applause to all the others. You must be so happy to have such a lovely kitchen. Congratulations.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Bye-bye 1980's! Looks fresh and new. I love the addition of the glass in the cabinet doors. Enjoy the updates and the vintage too.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

What an elegant transformation - everything looks like new!! It's just beautiful! Great job.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Wow...what a great use of white in so many places and your counter tops are awesome. Your use of red is fantastic. I would love that kitchen!!!

• jeanteach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, again, everyone, for all your kind words. I appreciate it! I'll be over in the bathroom and home decorating forums next for help with two yucky, 60's bathrooms!

• jeanteach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is another shot of the subway tile. Hope this is helpful.

• mbarbie
    13 years ago

jeanteach: love the kitchen and the Jet Mist is perfect. How big is your island? thanks!

• jeanteach
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi mbarbie: Not sure if I already answered this in an email but in case I didn't, the island 8 feet 4 inches by 4 feet 2 inches. Glad you like the kitchen! Are you doing Jet Mist?

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Guess I wasn't paying attention back in January!! Wish I hadn't miss this, but I'm glad it got bumped. Beautiful! I just posted my refresh too....nice to see another kitchen with a good starting point!! The soapstone gives it such a warm feel. I know you're loving it!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Another beauty I missed!

That is one GORGEOUS "refresh"--it looks all spankin' new and absolutely stunning! I love that beveled subway tile and your glass doors.

I am so glad this got bumped, so I could see it this time around!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Love beveled subway. I think "refreshed" is an understatement--it's beautiful! Your counter is so pretty.