Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidwg

Paging ALKU05 - Prep Sink Question

davewg
16 years ago

Hi Alku05 -

Once again your kitchen is coming to my rescue....

We only have an 18" base for our prep sink and I've had no luck finding what I think is a big enough square sink to fit the base (and I really like the Ticor SS208 but it won't fit).

Of course I'm searching sinks last night and discovered that you have a round prep sink in an 18" base.

Can you give me details on the sink (and confirm its in an 18" base). Pics would be great too of the sink and undercabinet area too if you have. We're going to have a apron front main sink - I think I may need lots of evidence on the cool nature of a round prep sink to help convince my better half that round is better than a smaller square sink.

Thanks again.....

Comments (8)

• alku05
    16 years ago

Hi Dave,

This is going to be a quicky post b/c I've gotta leave for work, but I can give you more details and pictures this evening.

It is a Ticor round sink, and the interior measurement is 16" in diameter. It's the S905, and it is installed in an 18" wide framless sink base. We ended up choosing it b/c the square and rectangular sinks I wanted weren't going to fit. The problem wasn't with the width of the cabinet, but how much room we had from front-to-back once the island vent plumbing was installed. Indeed, I posted here in a panic questioning whether a round prep sink was a useful shape, or if I should choose a dinky rectangular one (or mount a rectangular one sideways, yuck!)

I got an overwhelmingly positive response on the round sink. And on top of that, it has exceeded my expectations. B/c it's 16" wide, even cutting boards, big colanders and pots fit in there with room to spare. The only kicker was (and I knew this before ordering) that the faucet had to be mounted in the corner b/c the sink occupied the entire available distance from front to back.

An added bonus is that the round sink looks more decorative than the utilitarian square/rectangular ones. I'm by far a function first person, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the prettiness second!

• davewg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Perfect. Have a good day at work!!

Our cabs are frameless too. The sink I'm looking at is the Ticor S905. What was that about my kitchen being modeled after you. I won't tell you I like the counters too - but I think they'd be too light for our natural cherry cabs.

Thanks for the picture - very helpful. If you have, or could take one of the undercab area that would be great too.

I really like how it looks too - and the faucet placement. We'll need to do something similar because the sink will be in a lowered counter area with a backsplash up to the normal counter height remainder of the island (I'm sure you recall the design - I've only posted it here a million times :-).

Thanks again.....I'll see if I can find that other thread.

• alku05
    16 years ago

Ok, Dave I took some pictures for you! I hope you can see what you need to. I'll do my best to talk you through the pictures. In a nutshell, there's plenty of room in the cabinet for plumbing stuff and storage. However, the surface space (countertop area) is limited b/c the sink takes most of it up.

Overview:
    All we have in the sink base is the sink, a pulldown faucet and an ISE compact evolution disposal with an airswitch. The wierd black thing in the back right corner is a mesh bag that holds the pullout hose so it doesn't get tangled on anything (it came with the faucet). You can easily see the disposal and the plug for it. Take special note of the two vertical black pipes in the rear. These make up the vent and drain system for the sink. It's basically an upside down U-shape that runs behind the sink. That's why we were so limited in the front-back room for the sink and faucet.

Front underside of sink:
    We have 2cm granite, so we had to have a plywood underlayment. That's the wood you see by the sink. (If you need to use underlayment, be forwarned that you'll have to route a groove for the sink lip to sit in. This sink's lip is not flat.)

Looking up from the base of the cabinet along the back wall:
    (The wood shown in the bottom half of the picture is the back wall of the cabinet, and the wood you see on the top part is the counter underlayment.) Here you can see the vent loop I mentioned before. The airswitch is the cord hanging from the hole in the underlayment located to the left of the sink. You can (kinda) see the shutoff valves in the bottom right.

Faucet corner:
    This creative angle was attempt to show the where the faucet is. I think this was a failed attempt, but I included it because you never know...

Shutoff valves:
    These are located on the back wall of the cabinet just right of center.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you can't get your bearings with the pictures, or if you need shots of anything else.

• davewg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the detail!!!

The first picture would have been plenty, but the rest isjust gravy, gravy.

Looks like the sink fits nicely in the 18" base with plenty of storage room left over. I like the corner faucet placement since it gets it out of the way too. We're using airswitches too.

Not sure of the counter-top yet, but likely either granite or Silestone, so I'll keep the groove in mind.

I think we have a prep sink!!! And gotta love the price!!!

Thanks again for all the help - I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get into it. Another thread to save!

• alku05
    16 years ago

Glad I could help!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

This is amazing! I can't believe how generous everyone is with their time and resources on this site. Alku05, you have helped me as well! Thanks.

• davewg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, one more question - which faucet is that - I tried to find a post where you mentioned it, but couldn't.

I like the look of the faucet, but the bag for the pullout seals the deal. That is very cool!!

• alku05
    16 years ago

Sarschlos, glad I could help!

Dave, my faucet is a Brizo Floriano in a SS finish. If you prefer a sleeker style, check out their Venuto faucet. We have the smaller floriano (bar/prep version) at our prep sink. It's a pulldown, and you switch it between spray and stream by rotating the ring at the bottom of the nozzle. No need to hold anything down for spray, and the setting stays the same until you change it.

We have the full sized version at our main sink. That one has a toggle button that locks in place for spray. You don't have to hold the toggle down, but it automatically switches back to stream when the faucet turns off. Also, if the water temperature is full hot, it won't lock on spray; you have to hold it there. I'm not sure if that quirk is an intended safety function or not, but I choose to view it as such.

Both faucets' nozzles lock onto the stem via quarter turn. I have heard recently from another GWer that brizo is replacing that locking system with a magnetic one. Either way, you'll never have a dangling nozzle. The matching soap dispenser is really nice too, and I like that it has a big knob on top so that I can use my wrist to push it when I have icky hands. On the same note, the faucet handle is easy to manipulate with your wrist too.

We're extrememly pleased with both faucets and I wholeheartedly recommend them with no reservations. Just brace yourself for their pricetags; they're quite pricy. Definitely get quotes from online vendors. Although the websites aren't allow to post Brizo faucets online, most do carry them at significant discounts. You'll need to phone or email for a price quote, but it'll be worth it. I ordered mine from bathandkitchenstudio.com and faucetdepot.com.