Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Paint? OMG, thousands of chips later.

bmorepanic
14 years ago

Just like a lot of remodelers, I have walls (yay!) and not paint colors.... Luckily, the plaster gotta dry for a couple of days.

Generic inspiration photos - a bit too.. harsh, controlled (or I just recognize that the same thing wouldn't be the same in my house)?

{{gwi:1579740}}
{{gwi:1579741}}

So, a few hundred chips, I thinking maybe this:

{{gwi:1579743}}
1 ceiling

2 walls

3 mouldings

4 accent

5 accent

6 cabinets

7 flooring

Accent colors are the hutch, the paneled back of the hutch, Paneling and shelves inside the pantry and the plate rack. Possibly the outside of the hutch. Colors as shown aren't bad representations, but they are a little bit pinker. I don't know how to fix it.

A combination of these pulls. Stripe from mng - tarnished brass. 5 and 9 inch pulls. This is one of the images from the collection.

{{gwi:1579746}}
Figured if they already had patina, nobody would see my dirt! It comes in a silver color, too.

I want warm, slightly faded elegance - orderly but not fussy. Countertops aren't a 100% decided - except the prep counter will be maple. We're kinda like'n misty carrara but don't want to commit until there is "more kitchen". Might do ikea wood for a while cause we're tired lil puppies.

Questions:

What do you think?

We have held the actual pulls with the paint and either is good.

I can substitute "knotty pine" finished pine for one of the accents. Like hutch and plate rack are "knotty pine". Inside of pantry and inside of hutch become the chalky green. Should I do that?

Dining room is Chinese Blue - medium blue-teal color and gold. If I drop the teal tint, should I try and drag in something else?

Should I drop the accent colors completely?

Thanks for reading.

Comments (22)

• prill
    14 years ago

That seems like a lot of colors, although they look like they all blend beautifully. I think my question would be whether or not you would get tired of all of those colors. I know it's all pretty easily changeable except for the cabinets. Did you decide for some reason not to try to match the inspiration cabinet color?
    (what color is your cabinet color BTW?)

The brass seems a little harsh with those colors to me...

• John Liu
    14 years ago

For me it would be too much of a pacific monoculture. Six variants on soft blue-green, with a teal dining room next door. Would be like six shades of seagrass, waving lazily in soft undersea light . . . I could meditate in such a room, but I don't know if I'd have the energy to cook. So, if it were me - but it's not! - I'd bring more vibrancy and energy into the colors.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Before you paint your ceiling that color, have you painted a poster board with your sample paint? Tape it up there and see how it looks.

I thought I picked a great color for the ceiling, but I did this with the poster board and WHOA--it just looked so much darker and more intense than I thought it would. There are different formulas for doing the ceiling a color and of course I don't know what they are.

Maybe the wall paint but 1/3 strength, or 1/2 strength. In my case I went up the paint chip a couple of chips, to a color that the "untrained eye" would think was white, but I knew better--it's off white and blends nicely with my walls.

Try the poster board trick. How high is the ceiling? That can make a big difference too.

The colors are very nice.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

I think it's a beautiful palette but a lot of tonal variations for one area. My bigger concern is that the differences among colors might be too subtle to notice once you get them up. I've found in our house that colors that are a quiet, beautiful match end up looking the exact same when they're looking at you from the walls (we repainted our entire living area because of this issue). In your palette, the moulding color will stand out against the ceiling and walls, but the ceiling and walls will probably end up looking the same. Accent 5 will blend right in too, and even the cabinet color (which is FABULOUS) might not jump out enough - it looks on my monitor like it's very close to the moulding color.

I like cool, close-to-monochromatic color schemes, but I think yours might end up blending into one color, instead of the soft differences you want.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I have 2 of the same concerns shared above: The ceiling color is too deep for me, and I'm not sure all the effort put into choosing different colors will show, because some may look the same. But maybe you don't want them to really show as too much different.

I'm also not quite sure doing turquoises will be the same as the whites-to-grays of the inspiration photos. It might be because the palette starts lighter and ends at what reads a different color to me. I LOVE #6 for the cabinets, and #3 is particularly nice, too. But my bias for grayed tones is showing. For the ceiling and for one of the others, I think I'd like to see something lighter. I know it's boring-standard, but I'd go white or almost white on the ceiling...Kind of a very light and grayish (soft) version of the color you're using. But I don't have the vision, and you do...

Can't wait to see!

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was originally going to paint the trim the cabinet color and just felt insecure about it... The molding color is pretty much center of the scale between the wall color and the cabinet color.

The teal and green are roughly the same value and intensity in their respective color. I'm not certain that works either. If its too much the same, maybe should stick with the green - looks good with cabinet color and piney stuff.

The ceiling color is really close to untinted. It might make more sense to cut it and just use the wall color. There is no crown to provide a contrasting color, but there are a lotta door frames and baseboard.

So maybe that leaves me with the cabinet and trim as the cabinet color, the wall and ceiling as the wall color plus a bit of green and pine?

I forgot to say that most every decorative thing I have is a riot of color - greens, blues, purples, orange, some earth tones pottery, not a lot of red. I'm trying to be pacific about the background to be able to change the color scheme by changing the foreground objects and textiles somewhat seasonally - if warm and cold are the seasons.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Bmore, would you mind sharing what all the colors are? I'm obsessing over that lovely cabinet color...

• amberley
    14 years ago

bmore- I love your inspiration pics- I have had those in my files for awhile. I agree with many of the others about many colors being so similar. Maybe pare it down to 2 or 3 with the pine? Or pick one hue and go lighter and darker for each application. I also LOVE the cabinet color (I am particularly biased, as this is the color of my TV armoire ;)). I would also go much lighter on the ceiling, particularly if it is not a very high ceiling. I actually like the brass against the cabinet color very much, but I think that either would work fine.

Must feel great to finally have walls again after getting rid of the oucky moldy ones!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I like it as a gradient, but I think the ceiling color and accent color #4 are problematic.

If you want to do the ceiling a color, I would pull the palest yellow tone out of the flooring for some relief.

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Number 1 is Glidden White on White
    Number 2 is Valspar Chef white
    Number 3 is Glidden Natural Wicker
    Number 4 is Ralph Lauren Shoreline blue
    Number 5 is BM Affinity in Wind Chime

Number 6 is fine paints of europe - It is a color from the designer collection- P07740 chip number 73. I have the formula on the can if you'd like it zeebee, but I don't have its name.

btw, I had the same color mixed in Cabinetcoat at the same store by the same BM representative. I had some idea of doing a sxs comparative. In some lights, the color is the same and in some its different.

The working characteristics are completely different. If you want a glass-like finish, get FPE hands down. It really does self level so with very little additional effort over roller painting, you get a wonderful, smooth, hard finish. If you want to skip primers or are painting melamine or want a softer, less shiny finish, cabinetcoat can do it and is cheaper than FPE.

I am such a nerd! I carried the FPE actual painted block around in my purse for a night with the actual painted BM Affinity block (latex) and the rest of my normal junk. BM Affinity is chipped and scratched. FPE looks like it did before the road trip. I realize that if the affinity color had more time, it would get harder, but both had 3-4 days to dry.

Tomorrow its the purse cage match; FPE vs. Cabinetcoat.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

#4 isn't gradient, but even though it's not one my colors, I like it as a bright spot. A little obnoxious, but fun. Like the colors are just a little random, as if you put together a set of dishes from different places, times, and manufacturers...Some blend and some stick out a bit. That's why I think I'd like to see a lighter and maybe grayer tone in the mix, rather than so many that are almost identical looking.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Are we just not seeing the colors right? The names sound so white, but the chips look so turquoise/sky blue on my monitor.

• amberley
    14 years ago

I agree with rhome that we must not be seeing the colors correctly. Bmore- I LOVE FPE paint. I painted my new front door and window/door casings outside last summer. It is amazing stuff and worth every penny. I am planning on painting my cabinets with it. Is your sample oil or latex? Also, you mentioned painting melamine with cabinet coat- have you done this? I would like to paint the insides of my glass door IKEA cabinet (melamine), and had not researched what type of paint to use. I am very intrigued!

• amberley
    14 years ago

So I goolged the paint colors. We are absolutely not seeing them correctly.

To see Glidden White on White: http://www.glidden.com/color/color-palette.do

to see Valspar Chef white: http://valspar.com/explore-colors/choose-a-color.html (you may have to type in "chef" to get the color to come up)

to see Glidden Natural Wicker: http://www.glidden.com/color/color-palette.do

to see Ralph Lauren Shoreline Blue: http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/rlhome/products/paint/items.asp?haid=121

to see Benjamin Moore Wind chime: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb/portals/bmps.portal?_nfpb=true&_br=1&_pageLabel=fh_home&np=colors/AF-465

I couldn't find the FPE color online.

HTH! Amy

• rhome410
    14 years ago

So now it makes more sense about you saying the colors look pinker than they actually are...Sort of, since pink is not anything they look to me! But obviously, the colors aren't coming through right...So a great big NEVER MIND! on everything we, or at least, I, have written today!

• amberley
    14 years ago

I guess my main question now is what are you planning to paint as an accent? I love the eicker as the trim against the wall color. My uncles house has something like this and it is beautiful.

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I'm afraid of the trim looking like I was trying to be the same and missed. The cabinet color is like weak milk chocolate or weak tea with cream, plus some gray with a slight gold cast.

The green for an accent. At least on my monitor, its lighter than shown.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Oh, wow, those paint chips really didn't photograph well. I really thought #1 was a shade of turquoise too. You must have thought I was crazy suggesting you put it on a poster board and really check if you like it!

I'm not sure if you are a big fan of Glidden paints, but in my home, we struggle to get good coverage, especially on the ceiling with their paint. Lots of streaks. We just painted a ceiling that is 14' wide x 40' long (I thought this was never going to work) and we used a BM ceiling paint,tinted to the color of our choosing (which wasn't even a BM paint color). It is the best looking ceiling in the house.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Whoa...The cabinet color looks like grayish turquoise/sky blue on my laptop screen! I'm amazed it is so different.

I wonder if this happens way more often than we think. My kitchen photos look pretty much the right colors on my screen, but I wonder what it looks like to everyone else.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Could you reshoot them on a white background?

I am seeing everything except the flooring as a version of a robin's egg blue.

• User
    14 years ago

I love the color palette, but I can't really help as far as bringing it to life. I did want to mention that those pulls you selected? STUNNING~~~~~

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Ignore my comments above - my monitor shows every color as a cool grayish blue-green.