Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farm_wife78_gw

Need Countertop Help With White (not Creamy) Shiloh Cabinets

farm_wife78
13 years ago

For our new house we have decided to go with Shiloh cabinets and have chosen the Kendall door and drawer fronts in Soft White (painted maple with NO glazes or highlights). We will have a dark, mocha colored hardwood floor and are going with brushed nickel pulls and faucet.

Unfortunately, there is no room in our budget for any kind of solid surface countertop like I had hoped for and I will have to get laminate.

My question: Can anyone suggest a laminate countertop color that goes well with White (not creamy) cabinets? Pictures would be very much appreciated! Thank you!!

Comments (10)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Wilsonart makes a couple of laminates with a "soapstone" appearance that are nice looking: Sable, Green, Oiled, Pearl, Flamed Soapstone are the varieties. They have a nice soapstone appearance without trying too hard imo.

If you want a laminate that is not trying to mimic a natural stone, Formica has some interesting new patterns: look at the "Strand" "Warp" "Weft" varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formica

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Your kitchen sounds wonderful. I have A few images of
    wilsonart and formica. I am sure you will find something
    that will be just perfect.
    ~boxer

Night Passage by WilsonArt would look great with white cabs

Pearl Soapstone by Wilsonart

NaturalRoca by Wilsonart

Sedona by Wilsonart

Formica

Perlato Granite (look alike) Formica by Gardenweb PFMastin

Madras Indian Slate Formica

Formica (not sure which color)

Formica Basalt Slate

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Black laminate is essentially the same look as black granite or soapstone.

If you get the texturized, make sure you don't get a type with little grooves that catches stuff that is hard to clean out.

Try to scratch it and see if the color underneath shows. If it shows too much, look at different colors or brands.

Here is a link that might be useful: black laminate bevel edge

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much! The pictures really helped. I'm really loving the Sedona by Wilsonart.

• annieecamp
    13 years ago

I have to order my shiloh cabinets soon! I have only seen the Kendall door on-line. Do you love it? I am deciding between it and the charleston. I am planning on eggshell.
    Do you have pictures of your cabinets? I want a Cherry island but can't find a color. Are you doing any Cherry? Good luck!

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

anncamp - Yes the only place I saw the Kendall door was online. Our contractor is getting me a sample though before we actually submit our final order. I saw it in another GW member's new kitchen and fell in love. I had originally wanted the Homestead door and drawer fronts, but my husband wanted the Oxford and a more traditional style kitchen. I'm not crazy about raised panel doors, so after I saw the Kendall I thought it would be a good compromise for what we both wanted and he agreed.

I have saw the Charleston door and it is very nice. I can see why you are having a hard time deciding. I'm doing all painted Maple, no Cherry. However, I do love the coffee stained Cherry that I have seen in the Shiloh catalogs and online. I'm sure you will love whatever you choose. Shiloh makes great cabinets. Their factory is only about 20 minutes from my house and I know quite a few people who work there and have their cabinets.

I'm including the link to jledhead's Shiloh Kendall kitchen. In another post she actually states that these are the Kendall doors. Her blue island is amazing. I'd love to hear what you decide on!!

Here is a link that might be useful: jledhead 's Shiloh Kendall Cabinets.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'll link you to my favorite laminate pattern but the online picture does not do it justice. Order samples from all companies (as many as they will let you) because you will be surprised at how different they are once in your hand. The one I like best, Manhattan Glamour by Nevamar is completely different than what shows online. Their online pic of it must be from the distance. It is basically a gray and white pattern that is not trying to look like stone. Online it looks like a tweed but it is a larger format in person so is just a pretty pattern and not a weave look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manhattan Glamour

• annieecamp
    13 years ago

Would love to see a picture of your cabinets. I am thinking of going with the kendall door in eggshell with a coffee cherry island/black glaze. How did you decide on the color?

• farm_wife78
    Original Author
    13 years ago

anncamp - after my contractor got me samples I completely changed my mind! I went back to my original plan to get the Homestead door with 5 pc drawer fronts (full overlay). My gut kept telling me to go with my first choice and then my husband tells me he likes the Homestead much better than the Kendall, go figure! Also, I had originally planned to get Soft White but after seeing the samples I went with Polar. Our contractor submitted our final order to Shiloh today. I will post pictures once we get them. So excited!

And I'm still undecided on a countertop.