Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Ikea Sektion sizes at AT

Well, I still won't use ikea for my kitchen, but for those of you who don't mind, Apartment therapy has a lengthy post on what's going to be available in the new SEKTION kitchen cabinets:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sektion cabinet options

Comments (10)

• AquaLove
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, I'm waiting on Sektion to do my kitchen. I'm really pleased that the uppers will be 15" deep, that's going to be nice.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I'm pleased they are keeping the gray. However, I like the black brown too...hmmmm

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I'm considering these for my laundry room. It looks as though there will be a lot of useful options.

• User
    9 years ago

They aren't keeping the Adel medium brown door?!?!?! That's surprising. It was the top seller forever.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

In my consideration of IKEA, I'd thought I'd use the Ramsjo White doors. I'm sad to see that the only white they're offering is melamine. Very surprised that they have not one white door made of wood.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I'm surprised by the doors too. Just one slab white? Or is there more to come? We aren't planning to use ikea this time around, largely because we have a non standard depth sink run. But if we were,I would have been looking for a white painted wood door--like stat or lidingo. I assume Barkers and others will be offering door and drawer front options predrilled for the new line?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

>I'd thought I'd use the Ramsjo White doors

Laxarby is the Ramsjo equivalent in the new system. It is surprising that they don't list it in white (it's the most popular door in Europe, I believe), but then Ikea seems bent on making really stupid decisions lately, so then again, maybe not so surprising after all.

• thebobo
    9 years ago

The corner base cabinet is now 38" long instead of 37". For my project this frustratingly means moving walls unless I get an Akurum kitchen immediately and risk being out of luck if anything gets damaged during the build.

It appears though that since there is a mounting rail for base cabinets now similar to how the wall cabinets are done, there may be opportunity to shave down 1/2" or so off the rear and do away with the rail, and hopefully make things fit.

Also of concern is the drawer height reducing from 6" to 5". I thought the old height was perfect for many items. I have a grater, ladle and measuring cup that work just right at the 6" height. The next size up in the new system looks to be 10" which would be very unusual for any kitchen I've seen in North America.

I'm not sure how I feel about the wall cabinets going from 12" deep to 15" deep. Dinner plates used to fit fine with the old depth, and I'm worried that the new cabinets will literally be 'in your face' when working in front of them.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

thebobo - I, too, am concerned about the uppers going to 15". I kept reading and re-reading the sizes and could not figure out where the 12's were. I currently experience the cabinet-in-your-face every day and I have no intention of recreating that in my new kitchen. I expect now I will have to cut the uppers to 12" if I use their uppers. Not pleased to see this.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Reading the comments, it seems the upper depth has gone from 12 to 14 inches, with another 3/4 for the door. So, about 2 inches deeper. A lot of people seek an interior depth of 13 for uppers so larger plates will fit and pay more for it, so hopefully that bit isn't a big problem.

But, one of the commenters on the thread is from Europe and posted this:

"Hi from Germany! European IKEA stores have been selling the new kitchen system since last June (it's called METOD over here). The new system is great (as outlined in this article), but you should be wary of the new suspension rail. The in-store IKEA representative told us they'd heard back from official installers with complaints about the rail's durability, i.e. the metal bars are slowly bending away from certain types of walls, which is obviously not good, especially for uppers. Just ask about it when you're ordering your kitchen. Maybethey fixed it. And don't worry, the traditional fixation system is still supported; the suspension rail is completely optional."