joseph_corlett

Denim Countertops

You read it here first:

Here is a link that might be useful: Denim

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 10:07

Comments (20)

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I don't think I would want someone's dirty jeans on my countertop. Yuk.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Kind of reminds me of the kraft paper decoupage countertops that I saw on a couple of blogs. lol, HomeChef59, there's a current "Do you wash your jeans?" thread in the KT--seems some manufacturers recommend washing infrequently, or not at all. I hope the countertop manufacturer doesn't have the same recommendation. ;)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I think Paperstone has had denim and recycled money countertops. I think theyre cool and look better than the one linked above. Although im a metal gal.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Too busy for my tastes...and looks like a messy sewing table LOL!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Did they do any market testing at all? Sorry, TorZo, this just sounds and looks like a bad idea.

• bpath
    9 years ago

I think it's cool, though I can't offhand think of a place I'd like to see it. More importantly, though, I have teens in the house: what's the address so I can send the outgrown...again...jeans?

• Elisabeth0326
    9 years ago

Um...weird.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Saw this under the "Most Recent Posts" and had to check it out. This looks absolutely ridiculous. I thought it would be pant legs oriented lengthwise rather than little bits and pieces of jeans all mashed together.

Rodney

• Bunny
    9 years ago

That's the stupidest looking thing I've ever seen. It reminds me of when I made seat covers out of old 501 Levi's in 1974 for our VW bug before my boyfriend (later husband), dog and I took a road trip to Mexico in August, the day Nixon resigned. Do not attempt a road trip in the desert without A/C in August. 120 degrees at 6 pm in Calexico.

Anyway, I'm not a seamstress and I made a paper pattern and pieced jeans together until I had enough. Fastened with tough string strung across the backs of the seats. They were seriously the coolest looking seat covers ever. But that was then. Not on my kitchen counter. That looks like total crap.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't wait until I get a call to seam some of that together. Ching.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

You posted this thread, just so you could use that line, didn't you?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Might be part of a new fashion trend. Does anybody remember the patchwork trend in the 70s?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"You posted this thread, just so you could use that line, didn't you?"

lol.

Seriously, this is a perfect example of marketers taking advantage of doe-eyed greenies flaunting their money and moral superiority of saving the planet.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 17:57

• rpets
    9 years ago

Nope. I'm holding out for dryer lint countertops, thank you very much.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Here's the TorZo product used in a kitchen. It's not working for me, although I don't think it looks quite as upsetting from a distance. I think the idea is kind of creepy for food surfaces.

At least the decoupaged paper surfaces discussed in past threads weren't materials that had been worn out by contact with human skin...!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Perspective: Some of you sound like this product is simply old jeans stretched across countertops.

The article says they chop the jeans into bits, infuse the denim with acrylic, attach the resulting chips to backerboard, and then laminate it. It'd be rather like laminate countertops. Very plastic. Very easy to wipe up.

I don't care for the look myself (and I think it looks worse when shown in Mudhouse' picture), but it's not going to be un-washable.

No one's ever said they consider recycled glass countertops to be "dirty", though they are made from old beer bottles (and other types of bottles).

• glitter_and_guns
    9 years ago

It is not like the fabric is on the surface, so I don't have any issue with that part of it. I don't love it in the kitchen photo, but I like it a lot here:

Here is a link that might be useful: TorZo denim

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"No one's ever said they consider recycled glass countertops to be "dirty", though they are made from old beer bottles (and other types of bottles)."

I think maybe the reference is to the fact that some of the denim pieces look dirty.

Personally, I think it's hideous, but it does make those other "resin pooled" countertops look lovely in comparison.

(LOL, linelle!)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Nope. I'm holding out for dryer lint countertops, thank you very much."

Now that's funny right there.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

...and one doesn't have to worry about insuring a slab...