Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srahndennis

Opinions on Lyptus for Cabinets?

Stacy Rahn-Dennis
14 years ago

A couple of cabinet lines offer lyptus. I like the wood and understand it's more environmentally friendly but that's about all I know. Thoughts or experiences with it?

Comments (17)

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Kompy! I was hoping you'd chime in. It's the Showplace website where I learned about it. I did a search here but didn't find much.

Have you done any kitchens in Lyptus? The pics on the website look fabulous. I took a door home and love the wood but don't have any samples yet in a color that will work for me.

What's your opinion of Showplace? I think they are a new line for you? The shop is also going to price Crystal for me as they offer Lyptus, too.

• kompy
    14 years ago

So far, we have been very happy with Showplace. We've had the line for over a year now. So, not so new anymore.

I have not done any lyptus kitchens yet. Twice I almost did, but one client dropped to hickory due to cost and the other changed his mind after he fell in love with a Medallion alder display that I have (cost was not an issue).

We will soon be putting in a new (very small) aquarium cabinet display in Lyptus. I know it's an odd display idea, but we already have a big tank in our office. I work with two fish nuts, plus it entertains the little kids when they come in.

I think the guys are starting tonight, to put it up. Hopefully, this will help us sell the Lyptus. I love it!

Kompy

• lindanj_2008
    14 years ago

I have a powder room vanity from Showplace in Lyptus. Here are a couple of photos of it. We've only had it a couple of months, but it is well constructed and beautiful. We have Lyptus with a coffee stain.

• kompy
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting your vanity, Linda. Wow, it's really beautiful!

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, Linda! It's a beautiful piece. I have a door in the coffee stain but it looks darker than your pictures. I know it's hard to tell, though.

Kompy, I'm sure the aquarium will be a big hit. And I for one would be happy to see ANYTHING in the wood. Hopefully, it will drum up interest!

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've also been talking to a custom cabinet maker. When I asked him about lyptus, he said that he's worked with it but it doesn't glue well so he doesn't recommend it for cabinets??? I don't know what to think about his statement...

• cjc123
    14 years ago

My sister put in a Showplace kitchen last year. Her island is Lyptus (shaker style) and is beautiful. I am asking a custom shop here if they will use it for my kitchen. Still in the very begining stages of planing my remodel. The wood looks like mahogony... very rich looking. good luck CJ

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Your stain is the best I have yet observed on Lyptus. I think maybe they are just now getting the hang of staining on such an unbelievably hard wood. The other stains I've seen on it, from manufacturer's literature and displays, always left a lot to be desired; the stains seemed washed-out and uneven. Yours finally has a deep color like I would expect on a wood with a grain so similar to mahogany. And it's perfectly even.
    I doubt I would ever own or even work with the wood, because I'm violently allergic to eucalyptus oil/fragrance. Can't be in the same room with dried florist's eucalyptus branches.
    Casey

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CJ -- would you post back once you've talked with your custom shop? I'm wondering if their perspective will be different that the guy I talked with. Thanks.

• cjc123
    14 years ago

Sure, the one thing I was told regarding stain was the darker I go the better the look. This is fine with me as I want a dark cabinet. I will ask the question re:glueing when the cabinet company gets back to me. I will be away next week hopefully they call before I leave. Otherwise I will get back to you asap.

• cjc123
    14 years ago

Just talked to cabinet company, he just hung up from custom manufacturer and told them I wanted Lyptus, custom guy said great! Mahogany is threw the roof cost wise now and he has been doing a lot more Lyptus very happily. Can't' see a problem thus far. I am checking out the work of the custom company this weekend hopefully. Will let you know if I get any other information. ps... only semi-custom with Lyptus is Showplace as far as I know. CJ

• Stacy Rahn-Dennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Yes, I know Showplace is semi-custom but I think that's okay for me. We will see. Now I'm concerned about the stain color. As much as I love the darker stains, it would be too dark in my kitchen. I need something more of a medium tone. Good luck this weekend!

• herbflavor
    14 years ago

Look for deals/ at KSI in SE Mich they gave all cherry/ hickory/qs oak/birch/lyptus species at oak prices recently.
    With the economy you should expect competition.Lyptus is good
    but has a heavy feel and look/ I might go with the lighter touch and feel of alder or cherry.

• kordust
    14 years ago

Lyptus wood is VERY hard and ages beautifully, a bit like Cherry ages. If a custom shop plans to use it they need to know it has a workability all its own and there is a bit of a learning curve to getting it right.

The green aspect of Lyptus is pretty interesting too; it is named as a featured product on a "green" web site that I'll link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GreenHouse Videos

• you_who2002_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the GREAT info on lyptus! I like this wood due to the "green"aspects and density. Prices I've seen put it with select alder, and white oak. I'd heard "bad" stories about working with it, but maybe with more use, these have been rectified.

• shawnnaconnolly
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I did my kitchen cabinets in Lyptus in 2005. Love both the look and green aspects. Doors hadn't been hung yet when this photo was taken.