Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
famcook

Do you like your white decorative hood? How's cleaning?

FamCook
10 years ago

Ive searched around quite a bit and cant find an answer to my exact question. Not sure if this is an appliance, kitchens or cleaning question . . .

I am doing white upper cabinets in my kitchen with white backsplash. I really want it light on top to feel more open. I really want the hood to be white and blend into my cabinets. I don't mind a stainless hood, but since I'm starting from scratch I'm leaning towards the other.

So my question is, are these hard to keep clean? Does anyone have experience they could share. I'm leaning towards a bluestar range so the hood will be wider than the range, but I'm not getting a crazy deep hood. I was thinking a liner that is 21"deep maybe the zephyr monsoon or something 18" deep. I don't do much wok cooking, but I cook a lot for my large family.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• eaga
    10 years ago

Yes, I like our white range hood! I have been cooking under it for about 8 months - just DH and me but I do some grilling and sautéing and broiling. I have not had a problem keeping it clean of cooking grime. To be sure, I just wiped a clean dishcloth along the molding - a little fluffy dust, but no grime :-). I do make sure that we always use the exhaust vent when using the range top or oven.

• FamCook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cercis141 - Thanks, that's what I'm worried about - the grime! Do you mind telling me your setup? What size, brand, etc?

Thanks!

• eaga
    10 years ago

Yes, I was concerned about grime too. Like you, I wanted a hood that "rested lightly" in my kitchen, so I wanted it to match the cabinets. So I took a chance that it would stay good looking even after being lived in, and so far I'm very happy.

I'm not the most enthusiastic housekeeper, so I try to clean as I go, and I think that using the ventilation blower really helps.

I have a Vent-a-hood BH228SLD liner in a custom cabinetry hood. The liner is 28.375" wide by 19.25" deep, and the decorative hood adds about one inch all around. The hood is flanked by 12" deep upper cabinets. The blower is vented with an 8" round duct straight up and out the roof. I'm happy with the Vent-a-hood, but I should disclose that I didn't do much research on brand since the Vent-a-hood was what was offered by the cabinet company. My advice is whatever hood you chose, make sure to use it.

The blower motor draws air at up to 600 cfm. I know there are those who post here and in the Appliances Forum who can give better advice that I can about this sort of thing. I relied on an article about choosing a range hood to select the cfm rating based on the potential btu output of my range.

The decorative hood and cabs were made by Crestwood, Inc. in Salina, KS. They're an off-white color called Antique by Crestwood. I found it closely matches BM Cream Silk.

We have a freestanding GE gas range, 5 burner, standard 30" width, 27" depth.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Choose a Range Hood

• FamCook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing.

I, too, am not an enthusiastic housekeeper, so your input has put me more at ease.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Allison Gamba Design Consultant
    10 years ago

I have a wood hood with a Best insert, it's great! The grates come out and you can just throw them in the dishwasher. I've been cooking in the house for 5 months now and haven't had to clean yet.