Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avntgardnr

Backsplash tile - opinions? (pics incl)

avntgardnr
9 years ago

Ok, I have a few tile choices...I'm trying to go fairly plain so as not to compete with my countertop that I love.
Here are a few choices. I love the Caraway (Fireclay) and the Wheat (Encore) but I am afraid the crazing on the caraway will be too much (it's about 46 sq ft of backsplash and mainly one long run). and the wheat is too much of a match, I'm afraid.

Are these all horrible choices? Any other suggestions? Thanks for any help! This is the toughest decision yet!

First pic colors in order (wheat - jasmine - caraway - sand dune)

{{gwi:2135667}}

{{gwi:2135668}}

{{gwi:2135669}}

{{gwi:2135670}}

{{gwi:2135671}}

This post was edited by avntgardnr on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 10:05

Comments (16)

• avntgardnr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There was this one too...very simple. I was thinking a color similar to this in a bevel. Husband is afraid it will be toooooo simple? (don't have a better pic of this and I already returned it)

{{gwi:2135672}}

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Can we see a full shot of the granite and cabinets? I can't really tell how much the gold dominates in your granite. What is the name of the granite?

My gut feeling is the last one is too buttery. It's really hard to determine the nuances of color on a computer though. I'm beginning to think color advice given here can be bad advice because the colors keep shifting in the photos. You think you're looking at one thing, then the OP posts a new photo and it looks entirely different.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

The counter looks much cooler in the last shot. I don't like the warm tile with it. Most other shots are warm. I like the golden caraway best, but happen to love monochromatic color schemes.

Maybe wider shots of the counter to see its overall coloring would help. Does the coloring look accurate? Are the walls staying green?

• avntgardnr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks both.
    The granite is called "spider gold"...also known as a Ghibli granite.
    Here is a pic of the slab when we purchased so you can see, there's not much gold there...

another shot of installation:
    {{gwi:2135673}}

The green wall color is not set in stone...we painted because we were hosting Christmas and had that color leftover from another room :-) It may or may not stay - but the color you see if just the backsplash..there is very little green wall color near any of my back splash.

MayFlowers - I agree - it's very hard to tell on a screen the true colors...I've taken countless pictures trying to get an accurate representation and these were the best I could come up with.

Thanks again for your input!

• mark_rachel
    9 years ago

I like the Caraway white clay by far the best!!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

The first picture is gray, the second is very golden. You can't get good advice that way. I wouldn't do a gold tile with a gray slab. But maybe the caraway is not really the rich gold shown in the photo?

• avntgardnr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The caraway is defined on the Fireclay site as "A light yellow tinged with tan, Caraway's warm and earthy hue is accentuated by a high crackle glaze for a rustic touch." See link below to Fireclay site
    the real gold-looking one (square tile) is a wheat.

I know my pictures are not the best - the new corner pic of the granite installed is an excellent representation of the granite. Depending on the lighting, it can take on beige or some gray undertones but it definitely leans towards beige.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Fireclay Caraway

• amck2
    9 years ago

Of the ones you've posted, and how they translate on my monitor, I am liking the Caraway.

I just went through choosing tile last week and one thing that makes a big difference in discerning a good match is to set the tile vertically on the counter against the wall. It looks shades different from laying it on the center of the countertop. You may know that already, but I didn't figure it out immediately and it changed my mind on the tile I originally thought was the "winner".

• avntgardnr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks amck - Yes, it does look differently on the wall...I couldn't get good pics to share. I'm just feeling so stuck, lol.

And I've said to my husband 100 times...I'm ok with no backsplash even if it takes 6 months. But I really would like to get it done and out of the way! Thanks for the input..I'm leaning towards caraway too...I think it's the crazing I'm most worried about which doesn't show up well in pics.

• diymom79
    9 years ago

I like the caraway, very pretty choices.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

looking at pic with the four samples going across, i like the caraway....

looking at each pic close up, i like the wheat.....

do not like the pic with the 2 samples on wall, "too simple" - i agree..do not like jasmine or sand dune, too white - gray respectively

if u want to pull out the gold in the granite, than the wheat is a good choice, if u don't, than caraway would be a good choice...

i think the wheat is a warm color choice, which would go good with ur cabs...the caraway is cooler/starker next to your cabs, based on ur pics compared to the wheat, but its warmer than the other two samples......it depends on how u want ur kitchen to feel...its such a personal choice

what are ur floors??

i do agree with other posters that it is tough to pic colors on a computer.. your last pic with the granite installed, its looks like it has a pink undertone to me on my monitor, on other pics it shows no pink. so its tough for us to help, IMHO

to help decide, keep your samples up and look at them throughout the day and night till u get a feel for them...either u will lean toward one or not. if nothing is grabbing u, than keep looking...
    i agree with u, this is a difficult part in the reno process

on the pic with the granite and ur samples, what is the smaller white piece??

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Just my opinion, but when you use bright gold with red-toned cabs you harken back to those bygone days of Tuscan theme. So I'd take Wheat out. Caraway is a better warm tile. Jasmine appears stark white, so I'd nix it. If that is your floor sample next to your granite slab, you've brought in a bit of a cooler palette, so Sand Dune might work. Could you prop up Caraway and Sand Dune on the wall and take a few photos, including one farther out?

• avntgardnr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sprtphntc - the pic of the slab...the smaller rectangle is my floor tile - not a good pic at all (lousy lighting in the showroom).
    The granite does change depending on where the sun is, etc...sometimes I see a pink undertone, sometimes yellow. there are gold splashes, white, and some garnite sprinkled throughout.

Thanks all for the input!

Here is a better pic of my tile:

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

I would go with caraway. Jasmine is too white, sand dune is definitely too taupe (reads lavender-tinged in photo). Wheat is a little too matchy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The crazing is not even noticeable once you're a few feet away, so I don't think it will be "too much". (I have Fireclay crackle tile in UltraCream with Black Patine, but my counters and upper cabinets are white, so it's not relevant to your situation, just telling you the crazing is not very noticeable).

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I thought caraway was the first, square, crackled tile. Gold. I like that one, wheat apparently. The third tile, the real caraway, looks too white in the closeup photo but warm on the first lineup one. Kinda boring, imo, but should look pretty overall if it's warm and the color is right.

I would also consider the pattern on your floor. Wheat, for example, has significant variation. If your floor tile has swirls of movement, you might want to keep it to the floor and not add more on the backsplash. Those hand glazed, watercolor effect tiles can vary in intensity a good bit from tile to tile, so they can create a busy effect if the variation between tiles is wide, one light the next dark... Some are that way, others are more consistent.

Also, before ordering 46 sf, order a few sample tiles that represent the range of variation from tile to tile from the current lot. The color or tones can be completely different from firing to firing. You can not rely on one sample tile from the store to know what you will get.