Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

Height of base cabinets with Blue Star Range

jaymielo
16 years ago

I've been reading a lot of posts about counter height here lately and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake in my specifications. We will be installing a Blue Star 36" RNB free standing range. Looking at the specifications it appears that the height of the cooking surface of the range is 36 3/4". We will be installing 3 cm soapstone on top of the cabinets. My cabinet specifications for the base cabinets right now say 34 1/2" because I thought that was "standard", but do I need to specify a different height to have everything install correctly? Does anyone have a Blue Star in a similar configuration that can share their knowledge? TIA. Jaymie

Comments (14)

• sailinggal
    16 years ago

I'm in a very similar position - only I'm going with the 30" model, so I look forward to the responses. I would imagine that if it's freestanding, and you allow sufficient width, then everything should "install correctly," but you will want to consider at what height the countertops will meet the range. I've considered lowering my counters (I'm just over 5' tall), but the Blue Star dealer recommended against that because of the height of the range.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The height is exactly what I'm concerned about. I want to make sure that the base cabinets are tall enough that once installed with the 3 cm counters on top that the range and adjacent cabinets are at the same height. I wouldn't assume that I need to specify a "special" height for my base cabinets but after reading different posts where this has been an issue, I want to make absolutely certain.

• sailinggal
    16 years ago

I hear you. You've seen the Blue Star in person, right? I'm not sure whether I should match the height of the rangetop, or the height to the top of the grates. In my case height to top of the grates is too high.

Presuming that the soapstone counters are installed directly on top of your base cabinets, at 34.5 inches I calculate that the top of your counters will be at 35.68 inches (1.18 = 3cm). I'm guessing that's slightly below the range top.

The dealer I'm working with here in MD had the Bluestar on display with other ranges, not with a countertop. I need to call him with some other questions, maybe he'll have other customer experience to share re: counter heights.

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

You are fine - the installation manual (see page 7 of the pdf) says that the top of the side trim needs to be at least 11/16 of an inch above the counter top and maximum counter top height above the floor is 36". The top of the side trim slopes in a bit so if the counter next to it is too high there will be a gap between the counter top edge and the side trim.

Having the top of the range a bit above the counter like this keeps the counter top from getting too hot when you have an over-sized pot on the burner. I have a 16" wok and a really big saute pan - both overlap the edge of the range top a little when in use and the counter top stays at a comfortable temp.

The people who have been having problems have slide in type ranges where the range top is intended to be flush with the counter top.

Happy cooking - we have the Bluestar cooktop and love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation manual

• live_wire_oak
    16 years ago

Proper height of any range is what the maufacturer recommends. Most recommend that the range body be the same height as the countertops while the grates will end up being higher than countertop level. You'd probably be OK if your counter height was a bit lower than the standard 36", because that would mean that the range would stick up just a bit more and be fine. But there's no way a higher countertop than your stove would be considered safe. But, that's why they make adjustable legs for ranges! Different ranges have different amounts of adjustability, so check with BS about what the range is for the model you are purchasing.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sailinggal I haven't been lucky enough to see the range in person. There are no dealers local to us and those that can get it DON'T have it on the showroom floor. sigh.

cloud_swift Thank you. That is very helpful. I had only see the 2 pg specification sheet which wasn't giving me the answers I needed. I did a search and found the installation manual at the Prizer Painter site. The "Proximity to Cabinets" section is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you so much everyone for your help! Jaymie

• lambic
    16 years ago

Cloud_Swift:

Do you mean cooktop, or rangetop? I've been waiting to hear about the new drop-in cooktops...

Jaymielo: sorry this doesn't address your question.

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

lambic, Bluestar calls it a cooktop but most others would call it a range top - i.e. the knobs are in front and it looks just like the top part of the range. I wish Bluestar would call it by the name the rest of the industry uses. Bluestar distinguishes between their rangetop type cooktops and their real cooktops by calling the latter ones drop-in cooktops. Why can't they just be more normal?

They didn't have the drop-in cooktops when we bought ours - but we probably would have still bought the rangetop one because of a small thing. Their drop-in ones use different grates and they don't have the removable center that allows the grate to hold a wok without a wok ring. That close contact between the burner and the wok is one of the best things about the Bluestar and I wouldn't want to give it up.

• JC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I wanted to thank @M for the comment above regarding the HIGHLEG-4 accessory. My KD ran into the same issue as the original poster where our Quartz Countertops were pretty thick. Considering the legs are only adjustable for 1", and that range is really for leveling. This created a problem where the BlueStar would not "fit" without exotic and expensive modifications to the kitchen.

After calling customer service, the MSRP at this time was $600 for the 4-piece set ($150 per leg). This part number resolved our issue entirely with the range.

• JC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Updating my post.

The range is now installed. The total maximum height that you can have the range sit with the regular legs is 37 1/2". This matches our cabinet / counter top height. We ended up shimming about 1/4" with Felt furniture pads to have the range sit just above the counter. Details below.

You can see with the pictures below the core Bluestar range is 34 1/4". The legs extend to a maximum of 3 1/4" for a total of 37 1/2". Our counter top sits exactly 37 1/2" from the floor. After installing the range it was exactly flush with the counter surface and our Cambria quartz.

The manual calls for the range to set 11/16" above the counter

*EDIT* Based on comments below from @live_wire_oak (thanks for the post), you may want to use the HIGHLEG-4 to ensure 11/16 (~.5 inch) above the quartz surface). We are going to install the kit to ensure the height.

Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• M Miller
    3 years ago

JC - beautiful kitchen! Sorry to go OT, but can you please say what backsplash tiles you have? They are great looking!

• live_wire_oak
    3 years ago

You’ll be fine with that until your quartz countertops scorches.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5888853/quartzite-help-please#n=7

• JC
    3 years ago

@M Miller The tiles are MSI large format glass subway tiles. https://www.msisurfaces.com/glass-mosaics/champagne-bevel-4x12/. Grout is Prism Cement in Delorean Gray.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz