Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

If we have a white dog...then should we have a white kitchen?

laughablemoments
10 years ago

: ) I'm having a hard time deciding whether to do white cupboards, which I love but find hard to keep looking nice, or wood cabinets, which would be easier in our family of 9 to keep looking decent, but I feel sort of ho-hum about.

So, how did you make your decision on cabinet colors?

Comments (36)

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Absolutely! Your kitchen should always match your dogs.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

• bpath
    10 years ago

Gee, laughable, that dog looks awfully comfortable, I don't think he's going anywhere near the kitchen.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Cats too.

• dcward89
    10 years ago

This post made me laugh because although we have two completely different looking dogs, both mini-doxies...one black & tan, one chocolate dapple...all the colors in my dogs will be in my kitchen somewhere...and I didn't realize it until I read this!! I think you're onto something! Now I can't wait to take pics with my pups staged in the kitchen when it is all done!!

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

It's very important that your kitchen match your pets!
    {{gwi:1578436}}

And not just your kitchen:

And not just your pets:

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The floor should match the DOG

The cabinets and countertops should match the CAT.

• Novie
    10 years ago

In my currently built home, the cabinets and the floor don't match my dog, and redo them would be so costly, should i paint my dog to match cabinets and floor instead.

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

LOL This is great! Laughable, now I think you'll have to start a new thread if you want a real answer. :)

• chiefy
    10 years ago

@ Novie - yes, of course you need to paint your dog. There was a business venture on Shark Tank that was selling that product!

@laughable - that's a typically form vs. function question that really only you're going to be able to answer. And don't just think about cabinet color - but the entire "look" of the kitchen, floors, counter, backsplash and how they relate to the cabinets.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Technically....the FLOOR should match the color of your pet's hair! The cabinets and counter tops are secondary :)

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Crud. I was planning on doing a white kitchen, and my three cats are (2) brown tabby and (1) grey. So, if I do (brown) wood floors, and a grey countertop, perhaps that will be OK if I go out and get a white cat (or three) right?

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

I'm sure you didn't realize you were going to start something so fun! I love the pics of everyone's kitchens and animals! Your dog is adorable! As bpathhome said, he looks too comfy to go anywhere near your kitchen! Is he a poodle? Just precious!

As for the answer to your cabinet colors....I think you should just go w/ what you want. I guess w/ a family of 9(!!) you would want the easiest to deal with. I'm single, no kids, 2 dogs so can't say whether one would be better for your family. I'm sure someone will chime in on their experience tho. But, as natebear said, you might have to start a new thread! This one has gone out of control cute!!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what kind of dog you have (is it full grown in the pic or a pup?) but a nice matching sweater might be easier - unless it's going to be a big dog and then painting might be the way to go. ;)

OR - your dog might just be the accent piece that makes your kitchen 'pop'! :)

I didn't think much about it but my doggie will actually match our new build kitchen. A soft white it is!

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 13:14

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I think you can coordinate so that the colors go with each other too! ;)

Note that her food is just outside the frame on this picture.....what concentration skills this little one has.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

darling pets! (someone pointed out that my kitchen matches my dog, after the fact)

Back on topic, I can't comment on the durability challenges of a family of 9, but besides listening to your heart (and mind), listen to your house. What goes best with the home (stylistically) and what challenges does your location (weather, mud, dirt, clay, etc) place into the kitchen?

• ice1
    10 years ago

With out a doubt.
    My dog maches the kitchen lol

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

• badgergal
    10 years ago

It's fun to see this topic come up again. I am sure there will be lots of new pictures of pets matching their owner's kitchen.
    For those that missed this topic during a previous round here is the link with many more good pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pets matching the kitchen

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

nosoccermom-now THAT is a kitty!

Here is the one we are matching that I think has some similarities to the OP's puppy:

Oh man do I miss summer right now. I think I will stare at this pic a while longer.....

• xc60
    10 years ago

Our Yorkie Gucci, does not match our kitchen but does match our son's bedding perfectly. :)

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Definitely should match that adorable pooch!! And as one of 8 children, i remember my mother giving me a bowl of sudsy water and a cloth to wipe the cabinets down. Start them young. Little fingers get around the hardware really well. :-)

Ladygardens, what kind of cat is that??? he/she is beautiful!

This post was edited by magsnj on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 17:52

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Definitely should match that adorable pooch!! And as one of 8 children, i remember my mother giving me a bowl of sudsy water and a cloth to wipe the cabinets down. Start them young. Little fingers get around the hardware really well. :-)

Ladygardens, what kind of cast is that??? he/she is beautiful!

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

My toy poodle matches my kitchen, even his apricot patches tie in with the floors and our table. So I say if your undecided on what color to use for your kitchen, match your dog, you won't be sorry!

This post was edited by ilene-84 on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 18:21

• karlsmom
    10 years ago

Well, these two match the floor.

• leela4
    10 years ago

Your cats, of course, must match ALL your furnitue:

And should especially go with your laundry basket room:

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I can't stand it these guys are so cute! We see a ton of kitty pictures (to whom the décor should also be matched) but not so many dogs.

They're wonderful.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awwwwww, these are all soooo cute. And very well-coordinated. ; ) Our whole family oohed, ahhhed, and giggled over your posts. : )

Our Feliz (you can sing her song with me: "Feliz naughty-dog...") is a three year old poodle-something that we got a year ago. I tease that she's crossed with a fool, which makes her a "foodle". She's a *great dog and has been an incredibly good fit for our family. Believe it or not, she does occasionally peel herself off the furniture to help clean up the kitchen. She especially likes helping "pre-rinse" the dishes as they're loaded into the DW.

I think we'll have to match our floors to the dirt, since fluffy white flooring is definitely out of the question. :-)

I was over to the house today, tacking up all kinds of paint chips. We're going to have to repaint pretty much everything downstairs, so it'll be a fresh start. Everywhere. Fun, but a bit overwhelming.

It's an old house with high ceilings. Painted woodwork. Wood floors (that need refinishing.) Quite a bit of light in most of the rooms. The kitchen is a bit darker though, having a window on the north side and being in the middle of the run of the rooms. We'll be opening the kitchen some, so it needs to work with the whole scheme. Whatever that is.

Maybe I should build off of Olivia instead?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Yes, floor and countertops by Olivia...and cabinets by Feliz. That way your kitchen will reflect the entire 'fur' family :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

My decision(s) for a white kitchen.
    Get what you love!

• rockybird
    10 years ago

Not a dog, but I do try to co-ordinate my house with my birds! If I can get away with it, my new butlers pantry/scullery will have orange cabinets - like my bird!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Your orange bird looks very mischievous. I believe he's posing & smiling.
    Love everyone's pets!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

romy-he totally does.

laughable- I wondered if your dog was an 'oodle' of some sort (mine is a goldendoodle). Very cute! And a nice small size.

Olivia would make for a very nice combination and being a cat would presume that you would do nothing less than mirror her.

• magsnj
    10 years ago

Ladygardens, what kind of cast is that??? he/she is beautiful!

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Yes, of course you should. Different colored ears? Different colored countertops

• JSpann
    10 years ago

For sure, one of my favorite threads....!