Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellied_gw

FINALLY living with my new kitchen!

kellied
12 years ago

At long last it is complete and I am really enjoying how we laid it out. It is a very workable small kitchen in a budget-driven household.

Carpets in the living room get cleaned tomorrow (kitchen has full view now) furniture goes back on Tuesday and Breezygirl can finally come see what we have done the last two years.

HUGE differences and i promise current pictures soon.

Comments (37)

• enduring
    12 years ago

YES, I am looking forward to your pictures. its wonderful that you are happy with your results.

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

What a tease. I can understand your excitement though as it all comes together.

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The only things that are not finished are the venting for the cooktop (but I am using it anyway), the kitchen windowsill and trim and the trim around the base cabinets. LOVE having a butlers pantry to boot.

I don't mean to be a tease but there is no way I am posting pictures of clutter everywhere!!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing both the pics and the actual space IRL. From the what you've posted here, I don't think I'll recognize the inside of your house.

I'm so pleased that you love cooking and cleaning up in your new kitchen! Who says that a new kitchen won't make you a better housekeeper?

Congrats!!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Super! Waiting for the happy pix--mess is proof in this case. :)

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Assuming the carpets got cleaned on Monday, and the furniture got moved back today, I'm anxious to see your reveal.

I suppose though, you may just want to take a breather and stand back and soak it all in. Don't keep us waiting too long.

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Due to a snowstorm Sunday and continuing snow all week, our carpets will not be cleaned until Friday at the earliest, if the truck can get here. Since today so far has been whiteout conditions, I may just move all the clutter to the DR table and take pictures anyway!

• cj47
    12 years ago

I'll second that idea! If I lived nearby I'd come over and help you move it! I'm glad you're in and loving it.

Cj

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, you have shamed me into it. I promise to post photos before the weekend.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Snow?!? What snow? I only have 20" down the road from you. How many do you have? ;)

Please, please show us the pics!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Looking forward to the big reveal!

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, fine.

That means I have to move the jigsaw puzzle pieces and I just got them sorted.
    So cool to have enough kitchen counter to do a jigsaw puzzle on and still be able to function as a kitchen.

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, I took some great pictures but halfway through the power went out so I cannot post them. Currently on generator power long enough to cool down the fridge/freezer.

SOON!!! Hopefully the power comes back on quicker than they think it will.

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wrong picture!

More pictures tomorrow!

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The color isn't quite right. This is not a boring kitchen and not as blecch as this photo makes it look!

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• blfenton
    12 years ago

This is not a blecch kitchen. The wood cabinets are very cool and the grain gives a lot of interest. Are you putting knobs/pulls on the doors or are they hidden openers? the sink is beautiful and the counters and floors tie everything together. Nice job.

The layout looks very efficient and I understand what you mean about cooking in a corner - I did that for 20 years.

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Being partial overlay doors knobs are not required to be able to open them. DH and I both prefer a really clean look without knobs. I do have one pull on a cabinet near the sink base. Guess I forgot to put that picture on here!
    I do love the interesting graining of hickory.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Suggestion - start a new post with your pics. People may be assuming that there aren't any pics here. People definitely want to see your kitchen so I would do a new post announcing your pics. You would have way more responses. Just a thought.

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I was just thinking the same thing. Now that I know what I did wrong with my camera I should be able to get some better photos as well.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

I like how warm and inviting your kitchen is, and how the cab color is picked up in the floor and the counter. And I really like the line of your faucet and the color of your sink. What color is it?

thanks for posting the pics!

cheers

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The sink is a Kohler and the color is Cashmere. I can't tell you the model because we picked it up from a dismantled display. We got the sink (retail $800) and stainless steel in sink grates for $200. Granted, we sat on it for a couple of years. I love that the broiler pan can soak in the big side without even touching the sides and I still have the smaller side to do things in.

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

Kellie

Nice job! I love the color of your sink, and what a bargain. And the cabinet wood is gorgeous! I had a kitchen with no pulls and loved it, it's such a clean look. And are you lucky enough to have a skylight?
    All the elements of your kitchen just blend beautifully together, you should be proud. Is that a built-in microwave? Could you tell me the brand?
    Enjoy your new kitchen!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

It's lovely. You used the small wonderfully, especially the cookbook cabinet. It looks so clean and open. I'd love to cook and clean there too. You should show us some before pictures. Where was the wall you took out?

What faucet do you have? It is a beautiful high arc one, I know that much. Do you like it or do you find it splashes too much?

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gigi We added the skylights when we did this remodel. Natural light is a godsend in this kitchen. I no longer have to turn on every single light in the kitchen just to be able to see in there.
    The oven/micro combo is a Kenmore (Sears brand) made by Electrolux. We could only squeak in a 27" without losing another important area but it is more than sufficient for our needs. It does come in a 30". I love that the oven racks are porcelain enamel!

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Same angle before

The joys of a small kitchen

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NewSouthernBelle -
    All I can tell you is that it is a Delta. Because of all new plumbing in the house I have learned to use a lower flow when I turn on the faucet. So much more water pressure now! If I turn it up to high I do get some splashing but I am a messy person in the kitchen so I just clean it up with every thing else.

Ask and you shall receive on the before!

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was wrong about the splash from the faucet. Evidently it is ALL because I am sloppy. I just went and turned the faucet on full and there was no splash at all. I can find the model number if anyone is interested.

Black and Blue pie baking in the oven right now!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Nice job! How do you like your layout? It looks very efficient.
    Your countertops are a very pretty color. Very restful colors
    all over.

What area does your kitchen open to?
    How are you going to case the window?
    Are you going to hang a window treatment?
    Are you going to hang artwork?

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful
    new kitchen.

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The kitchen now overlooks the dining room, living room and reading corner. Once the furniture goes back in place I'll show views from the kitchen looking out.
    The window will have a solid surface windowsill with very simple creamy white trim to match the rest of the trim in that area. I won't be doing a window reatment beyond that.
    The wall next to the oven, being a small area and about the only open wall I have in the kitchen is where I plan to display a few family photos and some pretty little watercolors. Sort of a rotating artwork area. Anything to keep DH from trying to put a paper towel holder there!

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Congrats, what a transformation! I really like your layout -- I had something similar many years ago and it was great. DH used to call it my command center (like Nurse Ratchett's -- because I could keep an eye on everything). Cabinets look beautiful. Have fun with your new kitchen and keep posting pictures! Best, oldbat2be

• momo7
    12 years ago

Fellow jig saw puzzler,

Oooh, nice kitchen. No wonder you love it, I would too. Room to do a jig saw puzzle on your counter, wow.

The arch of your faucet is so pretty, love the colour of your counter (the edge too!), your floors, and the wood of your cabinets, and your sleeping pooch - he knows how to pick a good spot for a nap! I don't think I've ever seen hickory before but I like it.

We have some of the same cookbooks, what is that for dummies one? I have cookies for dummies, every single recipe is delicious.

Congratulations! Great job!

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oldbat2be~Command center it is! I will be ruler of the whole front of the house from my command center!!

momo7~ Thanks! A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into this kitchen. Soon, oh soon I hope to have a life back!
    The Dummies cookbook is one I bought right after DH had his heart attack 'Heart Healthy Cooking for Dummies'. I found out that it didn't have anything to tell me that I didn't already know. One of these days it will go to a good home.........

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Kellied it turned out wonderful!

It's amazing what a difference those few extra inches both ways made to the space. It went from a "cave" to open and spacious. Great insight.

Love your sink! HUGE.

I hear your struggles for the oven size. I think we're barely going to squeek in the 30". How much space do you have between your frig and oven? Any problems with frig door hitting the oven handle?

Great job!

• kellied
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aloha2009~To get that 27" we had to narrow down the utility closet that is on the back side of that wall. Since that is where our tankless water heater lives I did not want to eliminate it altogether in order to have a wider oven.

There is just over an inch between our fridge and oven. The fridge sits slightly further forward from the oven so when the fridge door is opened to its limit it does not hit the oven.

I think I'll start a new thread of Before, During and After which will show the construction details better.