Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Opinions? Kitchen puter

bmorepanic
12 years ago

"The QOOQ French Digital Cookbook is a tablet designed for use in the kitchen. It has a water-resistant design and a case that can be wiped clean with a cloth if you get water, oil, or other food on the screen while looking up a recipe."

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about Qooq.

Comments (25)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Does it wall mount? Cabinet inset?
    I think I'd go with an (hopefully) American Nook or Kindell where you can buy/dl cookbooks at will.

Of course, I haven't read the article yet...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

It's all about the apps, really, so I would still say iPad.

• jscout
    12 years ago

Siri, can you make a cassoulet for dinner tonight?

No, make it your own damn self.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

LOL jscout.

Get an iPad.

• bmorepanic
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I need a 12-15", droppable one. With wireless kb, but that should be waterproof!

• renorman
    12 years ago

I don't know if this would work for you or not but we just purchased a "smart" tv for our kitchen. You can watch tv or surf the internet, check your email, etc.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Single use item, limited apps, proprietary, uncertain future support=garbage can in 18 months.

Just get an iPad with an undercabinet mount

Here is a link that might be useful: One of a number of under-cab iPad mounts

• JPRain
    12 years ago

I use

TwelveSouth + iPad + The Pro Chef.

The iPad has some very good cookbooks available.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I would suggest an iPad as well. An under cab mount or Otter box will offer a lot of protection. My DH is a technology teacher in the schools, and he sees firsthand the beating the laptops and iPads take and still perform.

I use his in the kitchen frequently and find it terrific for that purpose.

• michiganrachel
    12 years ago

I just learned I could cover my ipad with a piece of Saran Wrap! Great for use when baking. The touch screen still works through the saran wrap.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I got my third kindle for Christmas, the Kindle Fire, and I've been downloading alot of my recipes on it. I stand it up in one of those acrylic cookbook holders when I use it. Keeps it clean and safe. So far, so good.

• clg7067
    12 years ago

"I got my third kindle for Christmas, the Kindle Fire, and I've been downloading alot of my recipes on it. I stand it up in one of those acrylic cookbook holders when I use it."

I got one, too. How stupid am I? I have my recipes in the dining room and walk back and forth. That is going to change immediately.

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

the problem with dedicated hardware is sooner or later ...usually sooner, something better comes along. why invest in a single use, little known appliance?

iPad.

• User
    12 years ago

All I need is this....now if they will just come home LOL !

Here is a link that might be useful: My own chefs

• sail_away
    12 years ago

Wow ... guess I'm really behind times. I just use my laptop and my word processing software. I enter the recipes into a format I've designed that suits me. I looked at various software that could be used to manage recipes, but I prefer to have my own format that makes sense to me. I print my tried-and-true recipes and place them in a portfolio with built-in page protectors. Other recipes that I use only occasionally or I'm trying for the first time get printed out when I choose to use them. They may eventually be put into the portfolio with the tried-and-true recipes.

I like having a hard copy of my recipe when cooking, but I also like having my recipes on the computer. One advantage is that if I decide to tweak the recipe a bit I can go back in and change the recipe to indicate that. Also, I periodically upload my recipes to offsite storage that I keep for business purposes, as well. I figure, if there was a fire or some other catastrophic event, it would be comforting to have those recipes available. Yeah, I could probably recreate most of them from memory, but not all of them---and why do that if I don't have to?

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

OT- I plan to eventually get an ipad. If I scan recipes into pdf format, will I be able to open them on the ipad?

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Dilly, yes, an iPad can handle pdf files.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Sail-away, there's nothing you've listed that you can't do with an ipad.

• sallysue_2010
    12 years ago

ipad ipad ipad ipad ipad ipad

After one hour with mine I walked into my daughter's room and said "oh my god, I'm a Mac." She said "Everyone is. They just don't know it yet."

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Kindle Fire here...it does everything I need, why pay several hundred dollars more for an iPad? Plus...most of the iPads, iPods, & iPhones I've seen lately have cracked/broken screens...why is that? I wonder if my Fire will end up that way??? (My "regular" Kindle is several years old & no cracked screen...but it is different glass.)

• sail_away
    12 years ago

writersblock, So true, but I already have the notebook. :)

• clg7067
    12 years ago

I also bought the Kindle fire because I didn't want to pay all that $$$ for an iPad. I really like my Fire, I also have the Kindle keyboard model. Also, if you break the class on a Kindle, call Amazon and you may be able to get a replacement. Happened to a friend of mine and they sent him a new one.

• clinresga
    12 years ago

Wow, makes me feel like I'm on Gizmodo (or any other Apple fanboy site).

We have an iPad and a Kindle Fire. I do use them in the kitchen, but still find myself running into my office and printing recipes off my desktop. The reasons are

1) I hate the auto-shutoff power conservation mode. When I'm cooking, up to the elbows in raw meat or chopped garlic and want to look over at the recipe, I hate having to scramble for the power button to turn it on again. Paper never turns off. Sure, I could keep it plugged in to an outlet, and defeat the auto-off but then I'd have to reset it whenever I'm running on battery. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the iPad is not smart enough to use two power management schemes depending on whether it's running off line power or battery (the way any cheapo laptop can)? (please educate me if that's wrong!)

2) I like my recipe front and center immediately above my cutting board, where it's exposed to all of the stuff flying off the board and the adjacent sink. Paper doesn't mind. iPad is not so happy.

3) After I'm done I throw the printed recipe into a stack. It's a neat way for me to search back over recipes I've used previously. I can annotate them or throw them out if they were losers. Yes I can keep my recipe box at Epi but it requires an actual effort.

Tablets are great for looking up things online quickly--"what is a dacquoise again?" But give me paper, or one of my heavily grease stained cookbooks, when I'm actually cooking.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

For 1, just go into the settings and change it. Settings>General>Auto-Lock. Set it to a higher number or never. Very simple.

I completely don't understand your comment about two power management schemes, sorry. Don't follow what you think is happening when you plug in it in at all.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

iPad ones can be had pretty cheap now if you watch. Set up an alert on slickdeals or the like. I just bought several around Christmas time for $259 each (refurbished). I love my iPad (and iPhone and MacBook air!) I am definitely a Mac and have been for a while. Our house resembles a mini apple store some days!