Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tntwalter

General Finishes Gel Stain Update

tntwalter
14 years ago

OK. I finished staining [finally]. Thank you so much to everyone on the board who gave detailed instructions on how to do it. It's easy but tedious work. I am not a patient person so this was a challenge for me.

It took about a week + to do these. I left some on the hinges so I could do both sides. This worked great. I washed with soap and green scotch brite sponge. Then I wiped on mineral spirits with a rag. I lightly sanded some surfaces but my cabinets were so beat up there was little need.

I did a coat waited 24 hours and did another coat. Then waited and did top coat again 24 hours 2nd top coat. Then took all drawers and doors off and did base only 1 coat and 2 top coats.

My favorite part is how now the cabinets don't matchy match with the flooring [always bothered me]. And I can't believe how great it goes with the granite!

Thanks.

BEFORE

AFTER

My tips.

1. go light. You can always add more coats but you can't take it back. I went dark so I had to continue that way. I ended up liking it but there were some tears during it because I didn't plan to go dark.

2. GLOVES. Not latex [they disintegrate]. Wear em or you'll stain your nails and cuticles and it does NOT come off [been wearing dark nailpolish for a while now because I ran out of gloves].

3. Using old socks workes best. Put gloved hand inside of a sock and wipe it on. Use rag to wipe it off and blend it in.

4. Use the sponge throw-away brushes for the top coat.

The color I used was Brown Mahogany.

Comments (19)

• glenster_jr
    14 years ago

Looks great! What color is your granite, Giallo Ornamental?

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here's an older shot of granite [sorry about the chandelier spots in it]

I ADORE it.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

That looks great! Your whole kitchen looks great, you must be so happy.

I want to try this on our bathroom vanities. They are the same cabinets as in our kitchen, and now that those are painted I despise the way the ones in the bathrooms look. I can't wait to get this kitchen completely done so I can move on!

Who's directions did you follow? I know there are lots of ideas on here--celticmoon's instructions are printed out and hanging around somewhere.

Great Job Trish

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I used celticmoon's but modified with the sock. The cabinet in my bathroom is painted white [we did it years ago] or else I would have done that also because same granite is in there.

I'm happy to be mostly done. I can't post finished pics yet as our eat-in area is still full of the office laundry room stuff...can't wait for the remodel to be over. But at least when I look into the kitchen and cook, etc. I'm happy.

Trish

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

tntw, I LOVE the changes you made.

I used the mini-wax to try to make my builder grade laminate based oak cabinets look not so worn out but I did not sand and do the preparation job like I should have. The honey maple mini-wax covered the worn out areas beautifully as well as slightly darkened the golden oak laminate cabinets and made them have more of a reddish tone like I wanted. I put a few coats on.

I just still wish my kitchen cabinets were a little darker with more of red tone and less of the laminate oak busy grain showing.

I am saving your post to try harder after my busy season to see if I can get my cabinets to look like yours! I also love your backsplash above your range. Where did you get it? Where did you buy your new hardware and what finish is it?

I am liking a lot of styles I am finding out but one thing I know is I am tired of my 20 year old kitchen and just changing out the appliances has made me happy.

Is your granite, Giallo Ornamental? I just adore it also! Was your old counters removed first?

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and how you made the changes.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

You did a great job! Looks beautiful-I like how dark they are.

• kellykath
    14 years ago

Great job! I probably would have been feeling (after the 2nd door) that the job was too much for me. You stuck it out and it was well worth it. It looks just BEAUTIFUL. Job WELL done!

• jeri
    14 years ago

I want to try something like this on a piece of IKEA Beech Butcher Block. We have seen some beautiful work with those on this forum and I want to see if I can do it as well. Unfortunately, I have not saved any of those threads. Do you think this would work?

What brand did you use? Where did you purchase it?

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was getting worried that people didn't like it and were being polite by not posting. LOL.

Granite is White Spring or White Persa It's not cheap and not exotic, somewhere in the middle, top of my price range ;o).

Backsplash is Birch beadboard panels from Lowes. Spent Hardware was from Ebay in 2000. I spent $21 total! :O) It's brushed nickel finish. LOVE them.

I promise to post some finished pics soon with all the info.

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brand General Finishes Product Gel Stain top coat is Gel Top Coat. All are in blue containers. You can locate a store that sells it here.

http://www.generalfinishes.com/dealers.htm

Here's instructions [thanks to celticmoon]
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0619093520899.html

You can clip it and save in case it ever gets lost in space. On the top of a mesage is a little section that says 'clippings' and you can clip the post. Or just print it out!

Trish

• jeri
    14 years ago

Thanks Trish! I didnÂt say it, but your work looks Great  which is why I want to know how to do this too. :-)

My Clippings are full! I didnÂt know they could get full IÂll have to go and weed it out I suppose :-)

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL. Thanks for the compliment. :O) I'm so needy. Funny your clippings are full!

I would love to see it on butcherblock. It is super easy [I swear].

• hamsundm
    14 years ago

Looks GREAT!

Love, Love the gel stain (I did my oak cabs with them, too, and they're holding up very well).

Your granite is gorgeous (I think it's my new favorite!) and looks perfect with the cabs.

Nice job!! And way to go saving your old cabs!!!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Changes the whole look! What a beautiful "new" kitchen you have!

• tntwalter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate the compliment. I really need to post my 'finished kitchen' pics...hopefully next week...

and projectsneverend...glad to hear it holds up well!

• kadydid
    13 years ago

I just want to say that I love your kitchen! I saw it a few months ago and knew that this is exactly what I was looking for. I've just been waiting for the kids to go back to school, so I can start my project! I am going to start on a bathroom first, (that needs it too) so I can test it out!!

• saltydog75
    13 years ago

Late to the thread but - tntw or anyone else, what hardwood floors do you have? I'm thinking of going with the same general idea (gel stain old oak cabs, light colored granite w/ some black), so I'd like to know what your hardwood is. I'm thinking of going natural red oak. Yours looks great, so if yours is natural red oak, that'll make my decision easier. And if not, maybe provide a guide as to what I should choose. :)

• Jessica LaRocque
    7 years ago

This is beautiful! Thanks for posting! I had your same old cabinet doors and my dad built new doors and I've been struggling with stain choices. I really like the Georgian Cherry in the General Finishes but it's almost too red! Love this color stain! Thanks for the help! Great to see things on a whole project.