Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dubodan

What is too much space between kitchen Island and counters?

Dubo Dan
10 years ago

I have seen a lot of information about what would be considered too small of a space between kitchen island and countertops but I am curious as to what would be considered too much space. We have 39 inches on the short side of the island but a whopping 73 inches on the long side. Is 73 inches too much, or would this be comfortable?

I have attached the kitchen design if it helps.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

Too narrow on one end and too large on the other. But, you've got the fridge jutting out there that will create a pinch point that you need to be aware of the distance between the island and fridge carcass. You might make the island shorter to avoid that and pull it back towards the range. I wouldn't want more than 54" there for an aisle, with the fridge being the tight spot at 48". Or if you do the shorter island to avoid the pinch, 48" overall would be fine.

• smiling
    10 years ago

Looks as if you might have room for an L-Shaped or Pie-Wedge shaped island there. Might give you some island seating...

• dawnk82
    10 years ago

On your drawing looks like your 73" goes to the wall, not the cabinets.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

dawnk is right, and if so, you're left with about 48" +/-, which is perfect.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I think fridge landing might also be worth considering here. If you're using a french door fridge, then the most convenient landing is opposite the fridge, not beside. Here's the guideline from 31 kitchen design rules for fridge landing:

15â of landing area on the handle side of the refrigerator, or
    15â of landing area on either side of a side-by-side refrigerator, or
    15â of landing area which is no more than 48â across from the front of the refrigerator, or
    15â of landing area above or adjacent to any undercounter style refrigeration appliance.

• Dubo Dan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dawnk, you were right. Thank you! I just went to the house to map everything out and confirmed this.

hollysprings - I am ok with the 39.5 inches between the sink counter and the island. My main concern was the other side. You were also right about the pinch point between the fridge and the island. That measures to be 39" and we are ok with that.

GauchoGordo1993 - the fridge landing is something. It is a french door refrigerator and it is a monster. After playing around with the design a lot we could not find a better spot for it. We currently have no refrigerator landing so this will be a step up for us.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I currently have a galley kitchen, and the two "arms" are about 6' apart. It's about 1' too much. Everything's about one step too far. The kitchen would be more comfortable if it were a bit smaller, which seems counterintuitive but is true.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I currently have a galley kitchen, and the two "arms" are about 6' apart. It's about 1' too much. Everything's about one step too far. The kitchen would be more comfortable if it were a bit smaller, which seems counterintuitive but is true.

We also have a galley kitchen, and we had almost infinite choice as to how far to place the island from the wall cabinetry. We settled on 48", and it's been perfect. I don't think I'd want more than 54" (we went with 48" so we could cover a floor outlet that couldn't be relocated).

• mshutterbug
    6 years ago
    Old thread, but I’m curious about this question as well... how much is too much?
  • PRO
    Pasquale Design Associates
    2 years ago

54” maximum distance between countertop work surfaces especially if there is a larger oven or refrigerator door that swings into the space.