Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamela928

Can you point me to soapstone with brown/beige inclusions?

pamela928
16 years ago

Has anyone seen a soapstone which incorporates some brown or caramel colored inclusions? I swear I've seen some in photos. I have a copper sink and bronze accents in the kitchen, so need this "connection."

Either black or green based stone would be fine.

TIA!

Pamela

Comments (14)

• sweeby
    16 years ago

With soapstone, different 'varieties' aren't nearly as pronounced as they are with granites, so asking for a specific variety probably won't get you the information you want.

I'd simply call your local stoneyards and see if they have any soapstone, and if any of their slabs have any iron streaks - which is what would give you the brown.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

OH man... I can't wait to follow this thread. If I found a soapstone with caramel and browns running through it WITH the wild white veining... it would cover everything!!

• pamela928
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sweeby, I did do that. The one yard I called say it's iron or anthracite which will give me that effect. They didn't call me back yet. Maybe it's a time-consuming picayune question for them. I just thought I'd prefer to get some feedback from the folks here, since so many have seen so many slabs. That might point me to one dealer. The closest stoneyard is a couple hours away, but I am expecting to eventually travel to pick out the slabs (states away, unfortunately).
    Pamela

• marthavila
    16 years ago

I have that stone. I grabbed it close to a year ago from a NJ-based fabricator/supplier, Garden State Soapstone, who gets his slabs from Green Mountain. At the time, he had only 3 slabs like that in the yard and he couldn't predict when he would get more. He stated that it is not exactly a common kind of soapstone.

• mindstorm
    16 years ago

Pamela,
    I think the soapstone that you are talking about is what M.Texeira calls Malibu soapstone although the latest picture on their website is from too far away to let you make out the colours on the copper-brown veins. Someone in Florida from the GW installed it last year and I saw the pictures for the first time then - unbelievable. Perhaps there are better pictures online elsewhere.

But that soapstone apparently doesn't get oiled - was that the one you were looking for?

• logic
    16 years ago

Our IceFlower SS is deep charcoal with carmel colored veining and inclusions. We bought it from Bucks County SS in PA in 2005, but I believe they are supplied by Green Mountain...

• pamela928
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mindstorm--
    Hi! Nice to hear from you. I do like the Malibu and that is my back-up. I ordered two samples just to see more of it. I'm just nervous about it because it scratches to white and it won't take a bit of oil and I even tried a super-enhancer which didn't make a bit of difference (just made water bead up on it).

I'll check with Green Mountain today, marthavila & logic.
    Thank for the lead. You know, it's so funny. When I shopped for soapstone for my last kitchen, I discarded several that had weird "off-color" veins--just like what I want now! I wanted black and white. Only. Just goes to show that you should never say never.
    Pamela

• bob_cville
    16 years ago

A cow-orker was just telling me about a soapstone quarry that is nearby, called the Alberene soapstone company. I know nothing about their prices, or whether they ship to other locations, but according to the images on their website The colors Old Dominion and Climax seems to have some caramel colored veins.

• pamela928
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bob--
    Thank you! (Always amazed at the power of this site.)
    Alberene DID have this stone. They are out of it and won't be back into the quarries until early summer. What they have now is the Alberene and Old Dominion varieties which are very sedate-dark no-veins varieties.
    You're great for asking around.

I just called Green Mountain, was referred to a very large fabricator closer to me and they said they haven't seen any brown in any of their Green Mountain soapstone shipments for years. Sigh.
    Pamela

• holligator
    16 years ago

I hope florida_joshua will chime in. We saw a slab or two at his place with a little bit of caramel. I can't remember the name of it. He also had one with a little bit of purple veining, which was especially cool. Both colors were very subdued, but definitely there. If I remember correctly, these colors were only in a few slabs, not in every one of that variety. It may be that you just have to go to some stone yards and search for the individual pieces that have the colors you want.

• florida_joshua
    16 years ago

holligator, is prob right. Here is a pic of the julia kitchen we did awhile ago. Don't know if it's the same accross the board but a few slabs came in looking like this.

{{gwi:1577060}}

This is it's first oil so the green shows up more but the slabs out in the yard show more of a caramel color as described earlier. . . I have to take some pics if I have time.

Your best bet is to search around to find the right slabs for you. Keep in mind fabrication is a huge part of how soapstone looks in your home.

• ali440
    16 years ago

Dorado has light grey soapstone with carmel honey colored highlights. Its a special set of slabs. Real soapstone doesnt vary much in color its mostly green/ black grey tones. Dont be fooled and pay the high price for something brown someone is trying to pass for soapstone. Soapstone will never be beige. :) Hope that helps.
    {{gwi:1577061}}

{{gwi:1577063}}

• staticfritz
    16 years ago

I ordered a 24x12 tile of the malibu green from mtex and have been messing with it. it's really hard to scratch, and doesn't scratch very white.

I was able to get it to take an oiling that was mostly beeswax (probably close to 80%) after a few coats. it's held up for a bit, but it really brings out the color. check the pics online, oiled and not.

Here is a link that might be useful: malibu green

• florida_joshua
    16 years ago

FYI, Malibu green from my experience is more of a serpentinite (sp??) or serpentine. It is categorized as soapstone in the granite industry, which I think is because of its talc content, but I may be wrong as I havenÂt done any research. It also is porous, and you will notice the oil soaks in, and does not really sit on top. Eventually this stone does patina, but does it a little different than typical soapstone. If you look on MTex website you will notice oil is not recommended for this type of stone. I'm sure if you asked them they will tell you as I know someone at MTex who has this stone in their personal house and they really like it.

I havenÂt worked with Malibu Green so call them up and get some more info if youÂre curious. This is a really cool stone but acts a little different than the typical soapstones that are out their. I really donÂt think the oil will hurt the stone though and it really brings out the color. To be sure give your supplier a call.

Although the overall color of soapstone is black, many colors show up in soapstone. I've seen caramel colors, greens, whites, grays, even some purple. I've seen some slabs that came in with pyrite in them. Those were really cool. Mostly soapstone is black but when first oiled shows all the colors more vividly. Just take a look below. I've showed some of these pics before, but I just wanted to back up what I was saying so you can see what I'm talking about.

{{gwi:1577065}}

{{gwi:1577066}}

{{gwi:1577068}}

{{gwi:1577070}}

{{gwi:1577072}}

Sorry for the big pictures but I wanted you to see the purple in the one. And remember soapstone is not just soapstone their are many quarries and depending on where they are the mineral content in each stone is different. Soapstone is unique, each lot is very different from another. God loves diversity!!! And I love the fact that the countertop I put in today will be different from the one I put in next week.