Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Finally ordered cabinets after 3 1/2 years!

aries61
9 years ago

I took the plunge finally and ordered kitchen cabinets yesterday. I started looking back in July 2011 and kept changing everything and couldn't decide what I wanted. The current cabinets are in good condition, but was tired of the look and layout that is why I started to look.

When I started to look, I budgeted $5,000 for cabinets and was looking at applied molding, maple and glazed cabinets. I ordered white painted raised panel beaded inset cabinets instead for $8,400 for 16 cabinets. Big change in both look and price of the cabinets. I probably looked at most of the brands that were available in the market too.

I ordered my Conestoga cabinets from Jim from the Cabinet Joint. He made a few great suggestions(especially with the hood cabinet) and of the Conestoga Resellers he actually listed to want I wanted and was very knowledgeable of what could and could not me done with them.

Yes, they do need to be assembled, but I'm pretty handy and years ago assembled and stained cabinets for my parent house. Also, my boss at work offered to help assemble them if I needed help since he and his wife have assembled Conestoga previously. Plus, my neighbor is a contractor too.

I want to thank everyone on GW for their suggestions, inspiration pictures and support during the past 3 1/2 years.
A special thanks to the KD's on here that made me see somethings in a different light.

Now I have more decisions with appliances, counters, back splash, etc. Hopefully those decisions don't take 3 1/2 years.

Comments (10)

• Jennifer Franson_Hopper
    9 years ago

aries61...I'm right there with you!
    I realize that this weekend last year is when I started searching all the options with cabinets and ended up using Brian at CJ for the same reason. With our crazy work schedules, we have been working on them since August (28 cabinets). Our contractor should start in the next week or two so we are appliance, counter, backsplash shopping as well.

Best of luck...I hope we both have finished and fabulous kitchens in time for summer!

What hood option did you end up going with? By that time in the decision making process, I just basically threw a dart on the webpage and went with it.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jhophop, The hood that I went with is actually a case only cabinet with a custom frame similar to the picture on CJ's facebook page that I linked below except I used a elegant arch on the bottom instead of roman arch like they did. The one linked is 6" wider and 9 1/2" taller then what mine will be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hood Cabinet

• romy718
    9 years ago

I'm excited for you Aries.

• KBSpider
    9 years ago

I'm envious! I started "planning" at about the same time, and still don't have a target timeframe. Part of it is I wanted to pay all cash and couldn't do it last year, but this year may not work out either. So, I continue to devour all the postings in the GW vortex. I've even branched out to other forums the last couple of years - home building (hey, why not? I can't afford a kitchen yet, add on the impossible dream of building!), buying and selling, small homes - you name it!

I look forward to living vicariously through you - hope you post updates of your progress with lots of pics!

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jhophop, You'll have to show some pics.

Romy, thanks.

KBSpider, Paying cash is a good thing and life is full of surprises. It will happen when your ready. I'll keep you and everyone else updated with the progress. I was told that I should have the cabinets in about 4 weeks, but will have a better time frame next week.

Good luck to everyone else who is working on there kitchens.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've attached a picture of the door I selected if anyone is curious. The full door shows the m-raise panel and the regular bead(the portion of the door that comes down to the inner panel) that I chose. Right next to it is the designer white paint that will be the finish and the L-686 door edge profile that will be on the doors.

9 years ago

Aries61: Those will be really nice especially painted!

We just finished with the base cabinets this weekend. Attached is a photo of our progress. GC and demo should start in a few days.

• lam702
    9 years ago

We went with the Cabinet joint for our refacing materials. Very happy with the quality of the materials, and the patience of Brian throughout our many questions and revisions.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jhophop, very nice. Looks like you did some custom frames to get those drawer configurations. You'll have to post more when you have them. Curious, what white did you go with?

hpny2, glad to hear that you're happy with the materials. Jim too had patience and was very helpful.

9 years ago

We chose frosty white. I knew I would want carerra marble so I took the samples of Chrystal, frosty and antique whites to a stone yard which really helped with the right color for us.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!