Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Can we talk about Stainless BS w/warming shelf over range?

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

I'm leaning towards getting a 36" Bluestar range top, with a 42" vent hood (TBD). I like the idea of having a warming shelf, so I think I'd like to do the high back (21 or 24" not sure what is offered). And we had planned to do stainless behind that piece to the bottom of the hood to give a nice clean all ss look.

But, you are way ahead of me here aren't you?, I woke up in the middle of the night and thought....How do we do that? 36" range to 42" vent......

I can't find any photos of the ss the width of the hood with a shelf going to the counter. I can find photos of the shelf going up the 21 or 24" and then tile between the two. But for some reason, I like the look of all ss, it just "looks" better to my eye.

Anybody have any ideas? Opinions? Photos?

traditional kitchen design by san francisco general contractor Chris Donatelli Builders

Here the range and hood are the same size

traditional kitchen design by austin interior designer Greg Logsdon

this one looks like a larger hood, but it must just be a piece of ss, not the one offered from the range manufacturer that would have a shelf. But you get the idea. Should I do something like this? Just get a piece made 42" wide, and add my own ss shelf?

modern kitchen design by amsterdam media and blogs Iris

Thanks for all your patience with my questions!

Comments (14)

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But, do you think that doing that strip of ss makes the range area look smaller? I kind of think that by doing tile behind my current range it seems more spacious.

Could I do tile but add a warming shelf?

I love this tile, does anybody know what it is? Sarah Richardson doesn't source it on the episode guide.

[spaces design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/home-design-ideas-phbr0-bp~)

Here's drawing of my kitchen

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

How do you think you will use the warming shelf? As a horizontal surface between the cooktop and the range hood, the underside is going to get awfully greasy.

• zartemis
    12 years ago

We did a stainless BS with shelf behind our 36 inch range with 42 inch hood, with the hood mounted at 34" over the counter. We chose one that had removable shelves that can be put in the dishwasher and that is made of slats so it impedes air flow less than a solid shelf. The BS does not go all the way up to the hood.

Here is one of the two removable hanging shelves:

This BS is a DCS backguard (our range is a Capital Culinarian). It attaches to the wall, not the range, so can be used with any stove of appropriate width. And if you decide you don't like the shelves, you can take them off and just use the hang bar with s-hooks. A bit more expensive than some, but it's a well-thought-out design.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Wanted to mention that some hoods have heat lamps built in to complement the warming shelf; it doesn't just warm by latent heat from the oven or cooktop.
    My big Thermador hood has 2 @175W heat lamps (clear not infrared) that look like halogen floodlights. They are inserted in a panel that aims right at the backsplash/shelf, which is a GE Monogram offering.
    Casey

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did think about the grease on the bottom of the shelf. I would use it to put plates on with food to keep them warm, with the heat lamp.

My current hood is a Viking with a heat lamp. The funny part is, there is no shelf. So we use it to make the tiles red!

I do like the idea of the removable shelves....best of both worlds. I"m not planning on using them to hold stuff like bottles of oil, etc. I like all that tucked away!

Thanks!

• westiegirl
    12 years ago

Our BS goes all the way up to the hood. I originally planned to place a warming shelf as well, but decided with the pot filler, it would be too much "stuff". The pot filler won out!

The hood is the same width as the range in our kitchen, but I think it still looks good when the range is smaller. My issue is how your cabinets flanking the hood are held back from the hood a few inches. I like Zartemis' example, but the rest of her BS is all painted and consistent. If you are going to tile the other spaces, this could make for an awkward point.

If you are going to tile the other areas and use a chimney hood, my opinion would be to install the shelf against the tile, no stainless. If you change to a wood hood that would butt up to the cabinets, then I think the stainless to tile transition would look fine.

Either way, we had our BS made by a local fabricator and at less than $100 for 48 inches wide, it was much less than any premade version we could find.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I love this look. I think I've only seen it with a hood that is the same size as the range. Somehow, it manages to look traditional and commercial all at once...

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Not quite right as it is not full SS....but the SS shelf is wider than the range.

M

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Bee - in the first pic in the op, I think the hood is wider than the bs, just like how zartemis has. I think that looks fine. OTOH if you go with the same size hood, installed a little lower than a wider one would be, would that capture just as much since it is a more direct vent?

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo, I went to a bluestar demo yesterday, the hood was the same size as the stove. Since the higher btu burners are on the front and outside edges, you should have seen the smoke going around the hood (as well as up it).

All these pictures are great. I will need to think about this.

Thanks!

• User
    12 years ago

beekeeperswife-

Our Garland range (the precursor to Bluestar) is 36" wide, with a 36" wide shelf and ss backsplash (not tiled in, it's a sheet of ss). The hood is 42" and where the range hood meets the backsplash there is about 1.5" gap on either side. It does not bother us, but we're not that detail oriented, YMMV. The warming shelf is a great place to store the kitchen timer, mortar & pestle, salt shakers and pepper mill, and a great plate warmer. The rangehood is vintage Broan, so no heat lamps, but if you are cooking either in the oven or on the rangetop, the plates will warm up nicely there.

WRT the underside getting gummed up, we're not clean freaks, and the cleanliness of the underside of anything never weighs on my mind, so I've never even looked. There is a lip, so the underside is about 2" up underneath (if that makes sense). When I clean the shelf itself I swipe the finished edge of the lip and call it good.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• zartemis
    12 years ago

I saved a couple of images when we were thinking about how to handle the difference in width between the stove and the hood. Here are two other solutions from gardenweb posters (I think I've attributed these to the correct person) although neither incorporates shelves:

Angle the backguard (example from raj_):

{{gwi:1576810}}

Make it as wide as the hood, (example from chiefneil):

{{gwi:1576811}}

We have considered doing a thin sheet of copper on top of our backsplash (lots of DIY advice online about working with it) to tie it in better with our hood and copper apron front sink. We'd leave the stainless shelves, we like the metal mix look.

• rexroat
    12 years ago

Are you familiar with Segbrown's kitchen? Her warming shelf is much wider than her range.

Here is a link that might be useful: