Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

transoms over cabinets?

cottonpenny
12 years ago

I will have a butler's pantry that is open into the kitchen. it's a pretty simple 6x6 foot space, with 3 doors (kitchen, laundry, dining), cabs along the outside wall.

I had thought of putting a window in because I am trying to maximize natural light in our new build. I would obviously lose cabinet space though.

My builder suggested putting transom windows above cabinets instead. The view is of the neighbors' garage, so I could do without that.

I've never seen this done, though. Anyone have pictures?

Comments (19)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I would not do it if you see the neighbors garage. Those windows only look good with an unobstructed view. You have a bultler's pantry so would it really matter to lose one cabinet?

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not a huge deal to lose the cabinet...But do I want to look at the neighbor's garage? I feel like I might keep the blinds closed.

The transom probably won't look at the neighbor's garage because the angle would be different...but not sure on that, obviously.

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Have you considered translucent glass in transom windows?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

are you seeing that even usingg transoms you see the garage??

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I *think* cottonpenny's point was that, with transoms, you do not have a view anyway, as they are too high. The fact that that side of the house faces a garage means that forgoing an eye-level window does not "cost" you much.

Sounds like a fine idea to me, but I cannot say I have seen it done.

• bostonpam
    12 years ago

Unless the neighbor's garage is over 1.5 stories (or is very close to the house) you will probably not see it thru the transom over the cabinet. I will have a transom over my cabinet in my pantry but the cabinet is not built yet. I also have 4 interior transoms over doorways or doors to bring in natural light to other rooms. You may want to do this too since your pantry has 3 doors. We already had some in the house and added a few more transoms during the renovations. People comment on them all the time.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

angie I also think trhe OP means you WONT see the garage, but wanted to clarify
    I like the idea

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

Butler pantry symbolizes a smallish practical space. Can the light issue be taken up in your other"proper" rooms. I think of a butler's pantry, when not being used,"out of sight, out of mind". And as a space that may collect glassware, bottles and such around the sink-why the need to always have it light filled. I'd go for efficient under cab lighting and keep the window issues for spaces that warrant the design and cost.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I don't have any pics, but I think transoms are great! They have a very "old house" look that really appeals to me. Plus...extra light is always a plus...I'd do it in a heartbeat!

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

How about a cabinet with glass doors in front of a window with obscured glass? I think you'd get more light that way and it would look pretty if you stored glassware in the cabinet.

My cousin has a cabinet like this in his kitchen and it turned out great. The light comes through and they have all the storage of a regular cabinet.

Some examples below. The first two have clear glass for their view; yours would likely have obscured glass to let in light but hide the view. Hopefully these will show what I mean.

{{gwi:1576349}}

{{gwi:1576350}}

{{gwi:1576351}}

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to be so confusing!

Regular window = view of garage
    Transoms = no view of garage

I want a window in that location because it faces the kitchen...it is an interior kitchen bordered by the butler's pantry (east), great room (west), and breakfast room (north) so I want to make sure there is light on 3 sides.

This is an older version of the plan - we now have windows on all sides of the breakfast room and on the fireplace wall as well.

• chiefy
    12 years ago

below is a link to a GW house that put transom over their kitchen cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of transom over cabinet

• hlove
    12 years ago

I would definitely put in the transoms above the cabs. Love natural light wherever I can get it. :)

• User
    12 years ago

Here's mine. It's similar to what you're describing (six-feet of cabinets between kitchen and dining room) except that mine is on an interior wall, with the transom brining light to a hallway beyond. The ceilings are 9ft, and the top of the cabinets is just under 7ft.

The cabinetry is new, but modeled on what was there before. The transom is original to the house (1920's).

{{gwi:1576353}}

(I tried to resize and rotate the photo, but it doesn't seem to be coming through that way at the moment--sorry.)

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

'Sounds like a fine idea to me, but I cannot say I have seen it done.'

same here.

mnerg's looks great!

• maggiebkit
    12 years ago

Our transom is over our cabinets, just like the picture in chiefly's link. (sorry I don't have a picture to show right now). It is the only natural light in our dak kitchen and I like it for that reason.

• JeannieMer
    11 years ago

cottonpenny: do you have a picture of the finished butler's pantry?

We too are looking to add a transom over our pantry cabinets in the kitchen, but not in a separate room. We need somewhere to put the food, and there is no real view [except of a neighbor's house]. Here is the layout of the back wall of the kitchen, 22.5 feet long.....thoughts on if the below picture would be a good design?

• marcydc
    11 years ago

i had them in the kitchen i remodeled in 2000. The were about 1ft tall and above the cabinets. They were there when we started, but it was brilliant for getting extra light into a 1st floor condo. We did install motors for them so they could open without having to retrieve a step stool.

I wish i had pictures. Sorry!

• marcydc
    11 years ago

Found an old pic. Bad camera - probably a very early digital or scanned in - so it is hard to see anything but light up there!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor