Countertop-Green Mountain Soapstone

Sink-Soapstone, had to replace cabinent to accomodate new sink

Faucet-Delta Saxony

Knobs/Pulls-Top Knobs

Backsplash-Casa Dolce Casa Flagstone 2x2 Green Mosaic

Comments (24)

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Looks great! I love the combination of the slate backsplash and soapstone counters, and your cabinets look 1000% better with hardware (I had to check your list twice to make sure you hadn't replaced the cabinets).

• punkyman
    14 years ago

Wow - it looks great!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

It's amazing what a difference countertops/pulls make -- I, too, had to go back and forth to figure out if you put in new cabs -- they look totally different. Love the soapstone sink -- ENJOY!

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

I love the contrast with the soapstone..and what a backsplash!Fantastic change. Congratulations on fine choices.

• azmelt
    14 years ago

Beautiful backsplash--really ties your kitchen together. Gorgeous.

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

It looks beautiful! Congratulations, and enjoy! Is that a large insect on top of your fridge, or an airplane?

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

Looks Great ! I love the backsplash ! And the soapstone looks so soft & warm. Congratulations!

• amck2
    14 years ago

What a nice job! Your kitchen looks updated and I'm sure you'll enjoy working on those soapstone countertops. Your backsplash and knob choices really enhance your cabinets.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

uafly1, thank you so much for sharing the changes that you made which is helping me see, I really need to add hardware to my 20 year old kitchen cabinets that I just used Mini-Wax on to make them not look worn out. Where did you buy the hardware and what finish is on it? I love the added interesting back-splash and the new counters. That new sink is awesome. The changes really enhanced and updated your kitchen given many of us hope that have limited budgets. Thanks again for sharing.

• julie94062
    14 years ago

I love it all, but I reeeeeaaaallly love the backsplash! It's perfect with the soapstone and the cabs!

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Great job! Love the backsplash.

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I'm so glad you weren't replacing the cabs in the before pic! You did great. If we're gonna ask about the airplane, I want to know what's that reddish thing next to it, lol? You know we look at details here, girl! Excellent job.
    Lisa

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Your backsplash is so gorgeous with your soapstone! Everything looks great!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

Fantastic! The back splash is perfect with the new soapstone.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Wow...What a big difference! Your photos make me wish I could've had soapstone...It's beautiful. Great decision to add the pulls and knobs.

• uafly1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yikes, I should cleaned the top of fridge before I took the pictures!
    The "thing" is airplane wine rack and that red "thing" is oven mitt and I believe a duster is up there as well. And off to one side my Halloween candy bowl that has not been put away yet.

I got the knobs/pulls from Studio 41, I don't know the finish by I know they are Top Knobs.

Thanks for all the comments. My kitchen was not old, but due to budget restraints when this place was built I decided to wait 5 years to change out the countertops. I am glad I did, I like granite but I love soapstone. Going with the soapstone allowed me to get the soapstone sink which is great as I do not have a utility room. Now I can wash just about anything no problem in that sink.

Total spent about $4k. including installation and everything.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

You really made that kitchen look great! That backsplash is wonderful and that sink is to die for!

Enjoy!!

• prairie-girl
    14 years ago

Wonderful job. I applaud you for keeping your cabinets appliances, but updating the whole look!
    ~Missy

• uafly1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I meant to add this in the original post, but here are my vendors.

Soapstone-Hummingbird Soapstone and Woodworks in Glen Ellyn, IL.
    Replacement cabinent/knobs- Studio 41 in Naperville
    Tile- Corna Kitchen and Bath in Elmwood Park

Each place made redoing this kitchen just a little easier, but I probably would have ended up with no backsplash if it had not been for Corna Kitchen and Bath. I think I went to just about every tile shop I could find in a 40 mile radius, from Century Tile to Artistic Tile. I walked in to Corna's and within 5 minutes, they help me find the perfect tile. At the perfect price I might add.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

$4000 well spent. You have a good eye. Love the results. Enjoy the new space for cooking and washing up in the new sink.

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Beautiful -- I love your diamond-patterned backsplash and the soapstone. Enjoy your "new" kitchen.

• meangoose
    14 years ago

I love it! I may have to steal your backsplash!

• melinrk
    14 years ago

Terrific!

• starpooh
    14 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? Please submit the FKB Checklist to give your permission.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths