Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bloominwhereplanted

Anyone have bail pulls or drop pulls on their drawers?

You know, like these?

{{gwi:1575921}} {{gwi:1575926}}

If you have pulls like this, how well do they hold up? Are they a pain to use to open drawers? Anything else to consider?

TIA!

bloomin...

Comments (14)

• teched
    16 years ago

Wow, I was just wondering the same thing. I have them on my dresser drawers, which I have had for 15+ years. I love them, but the kitchen gets used a lot more. I really like the look and wonder how they hold up in the kitchen.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

We have the very long (9? inches) drop pulls on our 30" drawers and dishdrawers, and 4" pulls on the other drawers.

My requirement was that the pulls have a 'stop' on them to keep from banging the drawer and chipping the paint at the point of contact. I learned the hard way in another kitchen.

Ours are from Top Knobs.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

To be honest, I don't like them on my dressers and definitely don't want them in the kitchen...even though my KD is suggesting them for my kitchen. I think they are too noisy (when they hit the kickplate behind them) and I find them a pain to grab a hold of, especially when I'm not looking directly at them.

I do, however, like the birdcage look in your first picture and am thinking of getting a straight pull with the "birdcage" in the middle (WeedyAcres has them on her drawers). I'm not sure about the "keep clean" issue though...it looks like flour, etc. would get caught in it and be a bear to clean out...

• dd70
    16 years ago

pecanpie-im so glad you brought up the point of chipping! I was very interested in getting the pull in the first picture from Top Knobs, I never even thought of that! I will have to see if they stop. thank you!

• bloominwhereplanted
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pecanpie - Would you happen to have a picture of your pulls/drawers? I would love to see how that long pull looks on your 30" drawers. How do you tell if they have a 'stop' on them... just by trying them out? (I would probably buy online.)

buehl - See, I love the ones on my dressers! Ones for the kitchen don't necessarily have that backplate that can make them noisy. And I think some of them stick out just a little (unlike dresser drawer handles) so it's easier to grab. But I was hoping the folks here could point me in the right direction!

bloomin...

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

bloomin', I don't have a picture of the installed pull, I'm sorry. Actually, the long pulls are a tad longer than 9" and the shorter are actually 5".

I remember telling the hardware store I was only interested in drop pulls with a stop, and choosing from the list they gave me. FYI it was a very short list...

Here is a link that might be useful: drop pull with stop

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

I don't have them in my kitchen, but I did put them on my built-in pantry/hutch. I wanted the hutch to have a prettier appearance, more like furniture, than my kitchen cabinets, so I distinguished it with these fancier pulls. They are like "cabinet jewlery" to me. The hutch doesn't get as much use as the kitchen, of course, but I haven't had any issues with these in the 4 months that we've been in the house. They do have a stop on them that prevents them from touching the cabinet itself. I think ours are Top Knob as well. If not Top Knob, then Emtek. Here's a pic:

• bloominwhereplanted
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those look great! Now wouldn't it be nice if websites told you if pulls have "stops" or not?! Naahh... that would be too easy! Anyone have any recommendations?

bloomin...

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

I have small round drop pulls as well as bigger ones--all from Top Knobs. I love them! They have a stop and do not bang against the cabinets.

• bloominwhereplanted
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lsandler - I like your pulls -- do you happen to remember which "line" they are from Top Knobs? How are they working for you? Are they a pain to use to open the drawers?

Thanks,
    bloomin...

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I had the same knobs as Islander on my last kitchen.. I liked them and didn't find it a pain at all to open drawers.

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

I liked this collection of pulls from Lee Valley Hardware. I wanted, originally, the drop pulls with the back plate on the bottom for the drawers and the knobs with the backplate at the middle left for the cabinets. I installed them on my old kitchen drawers before demolition started to see if I wanted them on the new drawers.

Oddly, I was annoyed by the sound they made when I dropped them, so I opted for cup pulls. Plus, I think cup pulls are easier to manage when you may only have one hand to work with.

They were a good look, though.

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

All my hardware is from Top Knobs, Normandy Collection in the Patine Rouge color.

The picture above shows 4 different styles of the hardware. I also have a 5th small drop down bail pull but only 2 of them. I love how they all go together but are not the same.

• bloominwhereplanted
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, lsandler, those look great! I'm glad you're happy with them.

bloomin...