Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprengle1

Cabinet over sink, questions

sprengle1
15 years ago

We are just being a complete DIY gut and installation of our kitchen, all the way down to the studs, rafters, and joists (aagh!) Our ceilings are 106". Storage space is at a minimum in our 90 year old home, so I've chosen to put a cabinet over the sink to try to make use of the area. My husband isn't sure it will look great. If it doesn't, we won't use it!

My problem is lighting it. We are using flourescent fixtures under the cabinets. I don't want to do that with this cabinet because it will be completely visible.

What are some lighting solutions for this sort of situation? I've realized a pendant would hit us in the head, so I think I'd like something surface mount, a xenon puck perhaps? Some sort of small flush mount fixture?

I have looked at all kind of lighting sites and am still clueless.

If it helps, the other lighting in the room are recessed cans and probably a Solartube. We have a large pendant over our breakfast bar/table.

Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are just 'beginning', not 'being'. Although it's going to feel like we're 'being', I think!

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any suggestions?

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

I put a low profile undermount flourescent fixture on the cabinet above the sink. It's placed in the back of the cabinet close to the wall and in front of it is an undermount paper towel holder. I also have an apron on all of the cabinets so the light fixture is completely invisible.

• Fori
    15 years ago

Maybe I need pictures--why would the fluorescent be visible on the over-sink cab but not others? Is it going to be a higher cabinet over the sink?

• kompy
    15 years ago

I have a display in my showroom. We stacked two cabinets...the lower one is a 'plate rack' that we reduced in depth to 9". I like the continuous line of cabinets (instead of different heights). We used a narrow 'light rail' This set up is not a head banger...does not impede faucet useage...has room for strip lights and would look great in a vintage home.

Kompy

Ps. Note also how I use 'full height doors' on sink bases. I do this a lot. I personally don't like the fake drawer. I also think it looks better in an older (pre 1940s) home.

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whoops! Yes, the cabinet is going to be much higher. It's going over a window in front of the sink. The bottom of the cabinet will be 83" above the floor. We have very limited closet space in the house and I'm storing serving pieces/serving appliances in all my high spots. The cabinet will be 36W X 18H X 15D.

My husband even wanted to put a cabinet over the doorway to the hallway, between our enclosed chimney and our pantry cabinet!

I know, unusual...

Thanks for the ideas so far!

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kompy, those full height doors for the sink base make a lot of sense!

• Fori
    15 years ago

Well, now I'm very interested! I have a big chunky valance over my current window-over-a-sink and think it oughta be a cabinet too! You might be able to put in a simple fluorescent box fixture with a decorative valance in front of it. That might drop it below window height though, and that's no good. You may have to inset a puck into the cabinet and sacrifice some cabinet interior for it.

How much space do you have to work with, between bottom of cabinet and the window frame?

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pretty much anywhere from 0-2". I haven't decided on my crown molding yet and I have 5" to the ceiling from the top of the cabinet.

I saw xenon pucks. Since my original post I also saw a plain round flush mount fixture in the mfr line of my pendant light over the future table (lol). My husband thinks he can mount this with a slim box and not intrude on the interior of the cabinet too much.

But it's not very attractive.

Husband is almost 6'4" and so I don't think a semi-flush will work. Will it?

• sprengle1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm