Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherean_gw

Anyone have experience with Blanco Silgranit kitchen sinks?

sherean
14 years ago

Hi there - We're looking at getting the Blanco Silgranit (Blanco Diamond Super Single Bowl) drop in sink for our kitchen. We like the look of stainless but my DH hates the scratches. He's looking for the holy trinity of sinks: scratch-resistant, stain-resistant, and chip-resistant. Once he figured out, that no such sink existed, he researched and thinks this one comes close. Wondering if anyone here has it and what their experience has been? Especially curious if the white one has done a decent job of resisting stains.

p.s. - I'm not sure the best place to post this so I may cross-post in the plumbing forums. Thanks You All!

Comments (23)

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

I'm sure someone else will address the white color, but I've had 2 black Silgranit sinks (a super single and a single bowl, both drop in) for a little over a year now and they look as good as the day they were installed. They're easy to clean, no chips or scratches. I do use a sink grid in the bottom and I think that would probably make a difference. I never thought I'd hear myself say that I "enjoy" using sinks. :)

• reeny
    14 years ago

I have had the same experience as pfmastin - I have the black/anthracite color sink for over 2 years and it is in perfect shape, even with daily use. Good luck with your decision.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Blanco Silgranit sinks are very popular on this forum, and have been discussed a lot. I did a search for you for "silgranit" and came up with a lot of threads. I've linked the search results below. Happy reading!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens Forum Threads about Silgranit

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

I have the Blanco Precis super single in the black color. I also have the ss sink grid which I love. This sink is great-so easy to keep clean, no staining issues. There have been some posts about the white color-you may want to search them out and read them if you're thinking about the white color sink. Ordered the sink online-got a good deal. Came packaged very well. Only problem I had was that this sink is so popular I had to wait about 4-6 weeks for it even though online it was stated that it was "in stock." This pushed back my granite install. However, I must say that the online company was great to deal with and had the sink directly delivered to me from the Blanco manufacturer to reduce my waiting time. HTH. Good luck.

• momtofour
    14 years ago

We have the Blanco 1 3/4 drop-in in cafe brown and love it. It's only been in for five months, but it looks wonderful!

• redroze
    14 years ago

I have the Biscuit sink (warm dark cream colour) and it completely resists stains. I wished I would have gone with the white as it would have gone better with my cabinets. But I recall others saying that they had the white and it didn't look nice (always looked dirty because it had grey flecks) and it did stain. I can't speak from firsthand knowledge, but I did see 2-3 comments about this. Blanco may have improved it since then thogh.

Just found the old posts on the white sink. Looks like the responses vary.

Lindawink said the white was easy to keep clean.

Drachiele said her mom's white sink stained.

Kwar228 had a scary link with a very stained sink. I find it hard to believe that a Blanco silgranit would stain that badly, and doubted whether the sink was really a Blanco (and not some imitation)...but don't want to discredit this poster. Others on the post also didn't think it was a Blanco sink. A follow up poster confirmed that it WAS NOT a Blanco sink.

In the same post, Mondragon said the area around the drain won't get "new white" looking despite the amount of cleaning she does.

• kaidan
    14 years ago

Does anyone think one of the super single sinks are better than the other?? The Diamond has the drain to the far right and the Precis drain is in the rear center.

We are going to have a garbage disposal in this sink and didn't know if the drain was better located in one or the other locations.

TIA!

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

I have the Blanco Precis super single in the black color. I also have the ss sink grid which I love. This sink is great-so easy to keep clean, no staining issues. There have been some posts about the white color-you may want to search them out and read them if you're thinking about the white color sink. Ordered the sink online-got a good deal. Came packaged very well. Only problem I had was that this sink is so popular I had to wait about 4-6 weeks for it even though online it was stated that it was "in stock." This pushed back my granite install. However, I must say that the online company was great to deal with and had the sink directly delivered to me from the Blanco manufacturer to reduce my waiting time. HTH. Good luck.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

Don't know how my first post got on here twice-sorry!! The reason we went with the Blanco Precis super single instead of the Diamond super single was that the Diamond has a back lip/ledge and the Precis does not. My faucet was Kohler Forte and was good for install certain # inches and with the back lip on the Diamond would have been too thick. Hope I'm explaining my situation correctly. The fabricator said if I got the Diamond he would have to cut that back part somewhat which was extra $ and couldn't guarantee that the granite wouldn't crack. Didn't want the extra aggravation so bought the Precis and have been very happy with my choice. We have a septic system so no garbage disposal system for me.

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can a Silgranit sink be undermount with a laminate countertop?

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I've had the white since November 2008 white and have no trouble keeping it clean. I do scour it out at least once or twice a week, depending on what we've been cooking. I use BKF (nothing else like it) or a quick spray of Fantastic with Bleach, but that stinks up the whole house. Magic Erasers work, too, but they're expensive. Day-to-day, meal-to-meal, I just use an O-Cello scrubbie and a bit of dish soap.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

kaidan-when replying to whether Diamond or Precis is better, meant to say we went with Precis, not because we were told the granite might crack when cutting the back lip of the Diamond but that the sink itself might crack. It's just been one of those days! The thickness of our granite and that back lip on the Diamond was too thick for our faucet-that's why it would have had to be cut with no guarantee that the sink wouldn't crack and the only reason why we chose Precis over Diamond. They are both nice looking sinks.

To OP-you won't be sorry if you go with a silgranit sink. I debated about getting the stainless but I don't like scratches either and I knew that would bother me. Every day I enjoy this sink more and more and am so glad I got it.

• studio460
    14 years ago

We put in a Blanco Silgranit in anthracite (black). No stains, but the black does tend to show white lime residue quite readily. We have to apply CLR or LimeAway once a month. Of course, installing a water softener (which I'm now thinking of doing for just this purpose) would make that problem disappear. But the sink itself seems extremely robust. Plus, it's MUCH quieter than stainless steel. This is the main reason I chose a Silgranit sink.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Both my main sink and prep sink are Silgranit Anthracite -- love them!! We have soft water so lime stains aren't a problme. To clean them, I just squirt some Dawn dish soap on a scrubbie or dishcloth and wipe them down. Spray the soap off and it's done. I'm really happy with my choice!

• sherean
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG you all are AWESOME and have given us much to read and consider. This is really my husband's "thing," and he's digging what he's learned about the Blanco sink so far. After he reads this thread, I think it will be a done deal! We picked out our granite yesterday and I think we will probably go with a black or dark brown sink now. If anyone has a great vendor they wish to recommend, please post a link. Truly appreciate your help!

• kaidan
    14 years ago

hostagrams, which prep sink do you have? Size? Do you feel that it is a good size for all your prep work?

Thank you Chris! So is that a normal occurence with the Diamond lip? I'm wondering what the standard # of inches for a faucet to install through...

• momtofour
    14 years ago

I found the best price for our model and the grids at Quality Bath online, even with paying state tax. Delivery was quick and items were well-packed. You could look at the Pegasus line at HD which I understand is made by Blanco. They have a double bowl, super single and D-single and sell in the brown and black.

An installation tip for you: do not use plumber's putty to install. Blanco recommends silicone. If you really want plumber's putty, there is now a product made to use with stone.

• momtofour
    14 years ago

I found the best price for our model and the grids at Quality Bath online, even with paying state tax. Delivery was quick and items were well-packed. You could look at the Pegasus line at HD which I understand is made by Blanco. They have a double bowl, super single and D-single and sell in the brown and black.

An installation tip for you: do not use plumber's putty to install. Blanco recommends silicone. If you really want plumber's putty, there is now a product made to use with stone.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

If you google silgranit sinks a list of sites will come up for you to check like faucetdirect.com, homeandstone.com, etc.

I got my sink from faucetdirect.com and my ss sink grid from irawoods.com

kaidan-Once I decided on my faucet (Kohler Forte) I went online to check the specs and the max. thickness was listed. My granite was the 3 cm/slightly more than 1 1/2" thick. Think the faucet specs stated 1 3/4" max. thickness ok so if you added in the extra thickness of the Diamond back lip might be over the 1 3/4" max. With some faucet models you can order an extender which would then work. HTH.

• kaidan
    14 years ago

Again chris, thanks for your help!! Ok, so I am looking at a faucet with 3" max deck thickness which I'd probably be fine with. After looking online today, I came to the conclusion that if I change my mind from the stainless sink I will go with the Blancoprecis as well. It seems to have better reviews for undermount app.

But again, after already purchasing the darn ss sink, I think I'll just stick with it.

• lisamohr
    9 years ago

Ours chipped after 6 months at the drain and it appears no warranty.

• janycohen
    8 years ago

Love my sink. Shown nothing. The grid is a collector of garbage and takes some work, but it does protect sink.