Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkkp

Silgranit Super Single Sink Cabinet Size

nkkp
14 years ago

Hi - For those of you who have the Blancodiamond Silgranit Super Single Sink (with off set right drain), what is the size of the cabinet in which it is installed? From what I am reading, it will not fit in a standard 36" sink base with the mounting clips. If you do have a 36" base, how is the sink attached?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• socalusa
    14 years ago

We have the Blanco Diamond in a 36" base. DH is a firm believer in undermounting a sink
    so it can be removed/changed later if needed and not sandwiched between the counter and plywood.

He did this on our last kitchen sink and our bathroom sinks are mounted this way.
    The granite installer was intrigued to see the installation (maybe a "better mousetrap?")
    and was going to suggest this method to other customers.

• nkkp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

socalusa - can you explain how your sink is mounted?

jsweenc- I can't find where Blanco ever says what size cabinet is needed for the undermount applicaiton. Somewhere it said 36" exterior measurement is needed - however, after additional research, some sites say that is only for the drop-in application only, and 36" interior space is needed for undermount application. The interior of my 36" cabinet is only 34.5" and the sink is 33.5" top edge to top edge, and appears to be 30" interior bowl width. I can't find the specs for the exterior measurement of the bowl to figure how much space is left for mouting. The mounting clips are 2 3/4" long, so I would need 5 1/2" space to use them on all sides of the sink. Somewhere deep in the website, Blanco recommends using a wooden frame, but I'm not sure exactly how that would work.

I hope this makes sense...how I love encountering a sink problem, after having the granite people this week say there is an issue with my island, and the carpenters say there is a problem with the steps...and oh yea, did I mention I'm almost 8 months pregnant! I thought that before I completely go off the deep end I would see what other GWer's did - lol!

• faleash
    14 years ago

That's the sink I have and my cabinet is 36 inches with 34.5 interior. It worked great. I can't get a photo to show the wood, it's too awkward an angle. But my fabricator used wood strips for reinforcement. Clips, silicone for sealing and wood slats. Either Kevin or vrjames (I can't recall) has posted pics before of the proper way to secure an undermount sink. NOT just silicone! Not just silicone and clips. The wood bracing is what will keep your sink (and bathing baby or thawing turkey!!!) from falling into the cabinet! Search for those pics and ask you fabricator what his method is.

• socalusa
    14 years ago

Hopefully these will help - picture is worth a 1000 words, etc. Sorry they're so large, but I wanted you to be able to see them as clearly as possible.

You can also see the totally awesome Blum soft closers.

Taken looking straight up at the underside of the sink.
    Thank goodness for the Canon's rotating LCD. ;-).

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

I apologize, I simply googled that sink name and then on the site entered the number for the sink that came up. I didn't see until just now that the spec sheet says it is for drop-in. You're right, it doesn't say for undermount anywhere that I can see. Seems like they would give you all the details you need if you are going to use their products! But I am so glad to learn at this stage that this might be an issue.

• nkkp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

socalusa - Thanks for the pictures and help! I see how that works now and still allows for removal of the sink - unlike some other braces.

jsweenc - no need to apologize! My husband couldn't believe the info wasn't there either and kept thinking I was just missing the info! I also ran across a link about a brace system by checmical concepts for undercounter mounting that I think could work too.

• socalusa
    14 years ago

Actually any sink that has a lip on it can be undermounted like I posted.

DH (who is absolutely super at engineering these kinds of things) went to this type of installation when I whined long enough (lol) that I couldn't find the bathroom sink I wanted in an undermount.

It works and it's time tested - 2 bathrooms and a kitchen (for 6 years.)

Hope this helps! (The old kitchen sink bathed a grandbaby many times - so it held all of the water, a 15#+ baby and a lot of smiles.)