Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelleg69

Is the Kohler cast iron sink too shallow?

kelleg69
15 years ago

I am wondering if 8 inches is too shallow for a sink. Mine will be undermounted, so I guess you really get another inch or so. I never fill mine up very high. I just wonder if it will bother me when I am washing a big pot or cookie sheet. I love the Kohler cast iron sinks and am sold on it. They have one that is deeper on one side, but I don't love the look (the Exec Chef). Any thoughts? I know people love deep sinks. Are there any people out there who don't think deeper is better?

Comments (7)

• dcvoigt
    15 years ago

I am also wondering about the Kohler cast iron. Is it easy to take care of in a light color? I'm not hard on things but is chipping a problem?
    Has anyone put an overmount cast iron sink in quartz jsut to get away from the undermount little rim that you get? Any issues? Thanks.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

My Whitehaus 501 fireclay is 8" deep -- I got it on purpose that way - with the undermount it's 10" deep total. If you're over 5'6" I think anything deeper is really uncomfortable, but everyone's comfort level is different.

I'd try mocking something up and enacting a dishwashing session, just to see how your back feels.

• josie724
    15 years ago

I have the Kohler Bakersfield undermount and I love it. It's plenty deep for me. I thought I had wanted an 11" deep sink, but I'm glad I didn't get it that deep, otherwise I'd be stooping over to clean things.

• artemis78
    15 years ago

Our current sink is an 8" undermount sink---and before I measured it, I kept telling people that the one really nice thing the PO did with our kitchen was putting in the unusually deep sink. Then I measured and discovered it was just a standard sink! I've never had an undermount sink before, so I think the extra inch or so is what makes the difference. We don't currently have a d/w so we do all of our dishwashing in it, and have always felt the depth is more than sufficient.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I had the Executive Chef at our last house. I loved the size of the bowls, but didn't think the extra depth on one side was necessary. This time I went for the Clarity, which has similar bowl sizes, squarer corners to the bowls, and both sides are 8" deep. (And about $100 less!) No regrets. It's a fine depth.

Cindy49, we had the Exec Chef for about 7 yrs before we moved. Comet or Barkeepers Friend took care of any spots or 'stains' so I think it still looked new when we moved. I've never had a Kohler sink chip, although it is possible for them to do so, I suppose.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    15 years ago

I just purchased (awaiting delivery) a Kohler cast iron sink and I believe there was a choice for either 7.5" or 9.5". My current sink is 6.5 plus I will be doing undermount so I figure I'll be a little ahead going with the 7.5". Plus save a little money.

I also chose the 7.5" because I didn't want to cut into the space for the trashbasket and slide out 2-tier basket.

Regarding chipping and such, if you check out the kohler website you will see they offer a LIFETIME guarantee against chipping (on sinks sold after a particular date). That sold me. (even though the logistics of replacing one is not pleasant, the idea of the guarantee helped me have confidence to get it)

My only remaining concern was minor and is the potential to break a wineglass or such in cast iron. There are solutions to help avoid that, but just something more to think about.

• kelleg69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all. I went to the plumbing showroom one more time today. I love these sinks. They are beautiful. I feel good about the 8 inches. I think it will be fine, and hearing reassurances from you has made me feel even better. thanks!