Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Which BS is easier to keep clean: Beadboard or subways w grout?

laughablemoments
9 years ago

I'm a total sucker for beaded backsplash. We had it in a spot in our last kitchen, but it had a paint that didn't wash that great.

Do you think that with a good scrubbable paint, it would hold up well and not be too much of a pain? Or, how about the vinyl kind? Has anyone done that and do you have pictures to share?

Another option for us would be subway tiles, but, is the grout going to be better or worse for cleaning? I could do a tinted grout, but I don't like the look as much as white grout. : /

Let's say that tile beadboard is off the list of choices for right now.

Comments (42)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The right grout ---Tec PowerGrout---will be hands down easier to keep clean than anything painted.

• szruns
    9 years ago

Tile is surely much easier to keep clean than any painted surface. If you make sure your grout is well sealed, then it should be as easy to wipe spotless as a tile floor. That's what I wanted, after having lived with wiping off "scrubbable" paint backsplashes for most of my life. My well sealed tile backsplash makes me very happy! I think they make tile that looks like bead board, but I haven't seen it myself.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, LWO and szruns. It's good to know that there is a grout out there that is easy to clean and easily available. I'm glad you are finding the bs easier to clean than paint, Szruns, that's encouraging.

I'd be interested in doing tile beadboard, but I don't know where on earth to find it (and at a reasonable price.)

• szruns
    9 years ago
  • rococogurl
    9 years ago

M bs is 11 and I've only wiped bits of the grout on the lowest area maybe twice. The grout was sealed when the splash was installed because it's handmade tile with thickish grout. Thinner the grout the less problems.

Grout sealers used to be meh. Today, they can waterproof grout and even tint it. Linking a tile backsplash article. Source is on the link.

I have a lot of beadboard here. It isn't a durable material. It separates and I've had it even develop small knot holes in some places. It's coated with Farrow & Ball eggshell which is super durable and long lasting. But it's no match even for the cheapest ceramic tile. Subways or lanterns is the way to go budget wise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grout Sealer

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 13:11

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Szruns, you found it!!!!! Thank you so much! I had seen susiequsie's kitchen but didn't come up with the supplier for the tile. I really, really appreciate you finding it for me!

Btw, did you do a reveal of your kitchen yet? I just found a thread asking about how to end your tile run, so I'm thinking you might be done based on your enjoyment of cleaning your tile? I'd love to see your kitchen if you've posted it. : )

Now, if I was to do the beadboard tile behind the cooktop, what should I do about the seams where they'd meet? The tile is 20" tall, and I figure we'll have about 30" from the cooktop to the range hood. How do we pull that off without it looking awkward?

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks rococogurl, for weighing in. It's good to hear the sealers have improved. And dissappointing to hear your beadboard isn't holding up. : ( Maybe the sheetgoods would work better for us.(?)

DH and I just looked through some tiles on my pinboard. He doesn't like subways, and I don't like lanterns, LOL. Neither of us are liking grout that stands out.

Argh....

How heat resistant is laminate? I can get a sheet to match our counters for as little ast $87. I've done backsplash out of it before, and it's a dream for cleaning. But, that was with a regular range with its own built in back, so no heat issues.

It could be something like this (except with lam., not marble)

{{gwi:2135541}}

in Soapstone Sequoia behind the cooktop:
    {{gwi:2135542}}

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roughly like this (very roughly...)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I have laminate counters and matching laminate backsplash in our old farmhouse. I also have a gas range with frying and wokking. I also have a recirculating vent so you can imagine how much grease I.get on stuff. The laminate has held up find.around the range and hasnt scorched.

Im just going to do a painted backsplash in my next house. Thats what I had.in my last house and it held up fine. It was cheap Home Dwpot paint and never came off.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Laminate is not a suitable backsplash material behind a range. It's fine on counters.

Someone might have it but it shouldn't go into a new kitchen. It's not fireproof! Fireproof is really needed. It's a safety issue, as is backsplash. And may be a code issue as well.

In addition to subways and lanterns there are square tiles, slabs and mosaics just offhand. There is a huge world of tile out there. Huge.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Laughable I really don't care for the image you posted above. It breaks up the continuity of the space.

If I were doing this, I think at this point I would put in a stainless (or aluminum?) backsplash (I forget what they call that metal piece behind the range) behind the range that was as high as needed to allow me to have a complete run of tile from the top of the metal to the hood.
    I would make the metal piece as short as possible. I think if it has to be 10" it could still look OK.

I think if I felt the metal was too tall, I would try running a single tile "board" across under the hood. I realize this would have to be in two or three pieces.

You said your DH had the tools to bend sheet metal. Could he make you a 2" or so wide shelf at the top of the metal backsplash? Then, if you ran a horizontal band of tile under the hood, you might match it with a horizontal band above the shelf. Display items on the shelf would lessen the effect.

If what I have said isn't clear, I can mock it up for you.

(I really prefer the warmth and organic nature of the wood bead board, but I think I would try to find a tile with the color I wanted and use it. Sometimes practicality trumps aesthetics.)

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Laughable I really don't care for the image you posted above. It breaks up the continuity of the space.

If I were doing this, I think at this point I would put in a stainless (or aluminum?) backsplash (I forget what they call that metal piece behind the range) behind the range that was as high as needed to allow me to have a complete run of tile from the top of the metal to the hood.
    I would make the metal piece as short as possible. I think if it has to be 10" it could still look OK.

I think if I felt the metal was too tall, I would try running a single tile "board" across under the hood. I realize this would have to be in two or three pieces.

You said your DH had the tools to bend sheet metal. Could he make you a 2" or so wide shelf at the top of the metal backsplash? Then, if you ran a horizontal band of tile under the hood, you might match it with a horizontal band above the shelf. Display items on the shelf would lessen the effect.

If what I have said isn't clear, I can mock it up for you.

(I really prefer the warmth and organic nature of the wood bead board, but I think I would try to find a tile with the color I wanted and use it. Sometimes practicality trumps aesthetics.)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

laughable:

I made a solid surface beadboard backsplash for my aunt. She was delighted, and it will outperform any other beadboard backsplash. You can even "cheat" the spacing so the board aligns perfectly on the wall at corners. Beautiful and functional, but be prepared to pay.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have a subway b/s with small grout lines. I sealed the grout three years ago when the b/s was installed and the grout looks the same as the day it went in. I do have a high-ish riser on the back of my stove, but generally I don't get a lot of gunk back there.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

laughable - I loved beadboard and installed it in our family room and DD's bedroom. A few years go by and you repaint. Repeat. Repeat. It just gets old. I can't imagine it as a backsplash (other than a tile version).

Are you getting rid of your window? No to your 2:29 picture (she says gently). Too many elements.

• szruns
    9 years ago

I haven't done a "reveal" yet because my kitchen is *not quite* complete. My range hood is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, and then my defective double ovens need to be swapped out in the next week or two . . . Those are the last steps for my kitchen . . . Then I'll do pictures for a reveal! (And try to master the multi-picture posts . . . The instructions really scare me, lol.)

How about, for the range backsplash, do a little inset above the range . . . So, do it all bead board except a rectangle above the range in a decorative tile of some sort. If you can find something you like to do that, then that'd be a solution to solving the 20" max height on the bead board tiles. You could go all sorts of direction with bead board . . .

Personally, I was so tired of choices that by the time I chose my backsplash, I went with a simple subway pattern in one tile. No accents, no trim pieces, just slapped them up, and they look just lovely, lol.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree that with a range that has its own backsplash with dials, a laminate backsplash is a dream to clean up Iowacommute, but I'm thinking the cooktop is another animal, as rococogurl is saying. I had an electric range with the laminate and a recirculating fan with no issues, too. Loved it. (Except for when I burned something--then I wished for a real vent!)

Yes, the tile world is huge. (Insert wide open eyes) I spent a good portion of yesterday and today exploring it, and I know I only began to scratch the surface.

Honestly, I don't care for the image with the laminate bs either. : P I appreciate your honesty, Bell and Oldbat in telling me that it isn't working.

Treb, how did you do the lines in the solid surface? Did you run it through a table saw, or with a router, or some other way? I'm curious.

Someone mentioned on a different thread that aluminum conducts heat, so it's not a good idea for bs. Ruled that one out. A SS riser could work, but I'm not a huge fan of SS, so the less of it I have to look at, the better. ; )

DH has suggested doing a white frame with tile and white fillers behind the cooktop if I want to do beadboard. Is this still going to be too busy???

Another option could be carerra marble tile for the entire bs, which neither of us found to be overly offensive, but I'm not sure how it plays with the busy-ness of the laminate.
    {{gwi:2135543}}

Doing a wall niche would be a great idea if we didn't have a heat run in the way behind one side of the cooktop.

Szruns, I totally understand you doing plain subways. I'm feeling overwhelmed already. I hope your oven exchange and hood install go smoothly for you. When you go to do your reveal, you can open a free photo hosting account like Photobucket to upload all your kitchen photos into, and then it's pretty easy to put multiple pics in one post from Photobucket. You can do it! ; )

Let's pretend for a minute that there is a counter with a cooktop in this space rather than a bathroom sink, and no ladder full of towels to obstruct the view.{{gwi:2135544}}

Would something like this work??

Does anyone want to suggest a tile at less than $5. per sq. ft. that might be a winner with our laminate?

Here is a link that might be useful: Carerra marble--Home Depot

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I like the bathroom mosaic with beadboard. Why not for behind the range?
    I've thought of that look too. I probably will do a chimney range hood, so I would have the counter to ceiling filled with the mosaic.
    I like that Carrera too.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I know it shows subways..but it's a very simple clean look.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Tile with beadboard[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/herring-creek-farmhouse-farmhouse-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~6431141)

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Another take

Here is a link that might be useful: [Mosaics with beadboard[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-kitchen-beach-style-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~6425210)

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Here's the look I had in mind in my last post. I just used the countertop to make the heat shield and the shelf in the mock up, but I have in mind that it should be stainless and about 8 or 10" high with a maybe 2" shelf. The horizontal single tile under the hood and the one above the shelf are to be used only if necessary and kept as narrow as possible. The heat guard should be as low as practical.

The only reason for the horizontal tiles and the tallish heat guard is that the tiles are only 20" long and I don't like the idea of "piecing" them vertically.

{{gwi:2135545}}

I pretty much like the look of this. A compromise between the superior beauty and length of bead board and the durability of tile. You lose full length tile under the hood; you gain a permanent backsplash.

DH can bend aluminum. Can he buy a sheet of stainless steel and bend it? Can he make a shelf as well as a heat guard?

The tiles are 20" long. If they are $5 a square foot, they will cost about $8 or $9 a running foot. If you have 20 linear feet of backsplash, that is less than $200. Of course the mastic and the grout will add a bit. Will you do your own tile installation? If you can, say less than $300 for backsplash. That sounds pretty good to me.

Incidentally, a lot of heat guards that come with ranges seem to be metal boxes, as wide and high as needed and maybe 2 1/2" deep. (Often the ovens vent through them.) I bet your DH could easily do that with a sheet of stainless. But I prefer the look of the shelf over a heat guard that lies in the same plane as the back splash. I also prefer a shallow shelf with a few easily washable chotskies to no shelf at all.

Last comment: would this look better without the brackets under the cabinets?

Edited to add Last last comment: Personally, I think I would do a heat guard and shelf as I showed above and use bead board for now. If in two or three years it's a problem, I'd replace it with tile as shown above. I really like the rustic look of real bead board. And I like that you can paint it any color you choose. A big plus.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 12:10

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

I have had painted baedboard in my kitchen for 5 years or so and have no problems with cleaning it. I do have an 8 inch metal backguard on my range and, more importantly, stone behind the sink. Scrubbing splatters off of the painted wood has not been harder than scrubbing tile, it comes right off with a damp sponge and does not hurt the paint. The joints of my backsplash are caulked so there are no spots that cannot easily be cleaned with a damp sponge.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I haven't seen this in person, and it's a cararra look alike in ceramic wall tiles 10"x14" and is $2.15 a sq.ft. at Home Depot. It gets great reviews and there are some photos by people who have installed it.

Marissa Cararra 10 in. x 14 in. Ceramic Wall Tile (14.58 sq. ft. / case)

Here is a link that might be useful: Marissa Cararra 10 in. x 14 in. Ceramic Wall Tile (14.58 sq. ft. / case)

• jdez
    9 years ago

We have 4 inch wide painted cedar for our bs and it seems to clean up very easy so far. I haven't had any huge messes on it yet though but I figure if it gets real bad I will just scrub it and repaint it.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bellsmom, you got me thinking. I just did a search for a SS shelf and found one on ebay for $29.99 that's 42" wide. I know this isn't the ideal place to store spices, but...it would provide a reason for the break in the tile beadboard. ; )

Thanks for weighing in on the cleaning aspects, athomeinva, and jDez.

The reviews on those tiles do glow, My3dogs! I wonder how they'd look in a kitchen? Are people fussy about "bathroom looking tile" vs. "kitchen looking tile"? LOL

I have tile hangups. I admit it. Most tiles take me right back to high school. There are 3 categories in my brain: high school hallway tile, locker room tile, and shower room tile. Not good. Not good at all. : P

Here is a link that might be useful: ULTRAledge(TM) Floating Wall Display Rack on ebay

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Where are you thinking of putting the shelf? At the height of the bottom of the cabinets, as shown in your posted link? No way. That would interfere seriously with the flow of exhaust in my fan. I can post a photograph of the smoke from my coffee roaster, which I use at the back of the range (not using the burners, it is electric) as it rises in this space. No way would I have a shelf there. I guess it may depend on the actual capture area of your exhaust?

Lower, ten inches or so above the range top? Maybe. A shallow 2 or 3" shelf.

I would consider salt, pepper, sugar, utensils such as spatulas--stuff that is either used quickly or is more or less immune to heat. Spices--Nope.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Treb, how did you do the lines in the solid surface? Did you run it through a table saw, or with a router, or some other way?"

Simply make a jig that fits into the first cut and you make the first with a straightedge. It's old-school and foolproof. The beadboard profile is cut with a router. A laminate trimmer will do a fine job.

You can use a slightly different size jig for each piece so the beadboard aligns perfectly at each plane change. You can't cost effectively do that with most any other material.

You can scrub it until your fingers fall off and it will look as good as the day it went in. Nothing is more sanitary.

• maggieq
    9 years ago

Laughable, I love your style and always look forward to your thoughtful posts. Can't wait to see the new kitchen come to life. That said, I am afraid you have clowns knocking at the door mixing more than one type bs. Would like to see one surface that meets all your wants/needs. By no means an expert here, so no real recommendation. Just my 2 cents as I follow your journey. Best of luck......did I see a hint about a new mini-Laughable on the way?!

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Bellsmom, this: "Lower, ten inches or so above the range top? Maybe. A shallow 2 or 3" shelf.

I would consider salt, pepper, sugar, utensils such as spatulas--stuff that is either used quickly or is more or less immune to heat. Spices--Nope."

If we did the shelf, I wouldn't keep a lot on it, and the one I found is only 3.5" deep. I would also consider doing a pot rail to hang a couple of cast iron skillets on, but I haven't done any googling for it yet.

Thanks for the explanation, Trebuchet. That makes a lot of sense.

MaggieQ, I *so* think you're right! The clowns want to have a hey-day with this kitchen. They are messing with my cupboard colors and now they are attempting to trample their rainbow footprints on my backsplash. Will someone please send in the clown police so that this kitchen won't be wrecked before it's started? (I am saying this with a big smile and laughter.)

Last week someone linked to a blog post of how to ruin your kitchen renovation. It resonated with me b/c the author had one thing in mind for her kitchen and because of a series of poor choices, her kitchen while very nice, turned out completely different from her original idea. I feel like I am on that precipice.

I love white kitchens, but bought wood cupboards because they were a. finished, b. well made, c. a really good price, and d. wood. Why wood? I like white. Well... because there are so many of us in our kitchen that I thought it would be lower maintenance with the darker tones and pro finish. And it's a north facing room, so these might warm it up. Wood cabinets show up in my photobucket and pinterest board, too, just not as much as white.

But...I STILL really like white cupboards. And blue cupboards, and green cupboards, and sometimes even yellowish cupboards... We have no oven cabinet or hood cabinet. We can make those. Let's paint them green to go with the wood (see the slope?) We can make this work. Slip, slip, slip...

I love beadboard. But it doesn't wash well. So let's tile behind the stove. But, it's clowny. Wait...there's beadboard tile. But it will require a seam. Put in a shelf to hide the seam...in SS (don't love SS, but we're getting some appliances in it anyway, so might as well make the shelf match...)

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! The clowns are having a circus. I already have the puffy red hair. Just give me a big red nose and some goofy shoes and I'll be all set. ; )

Actually, these are 2 kitchens that seemed to pull off a lot going on without getting stuck inside the circus tent:
    {{gwi:2135546}}
    {{gwi:2135547}}

I did hint that a little Laughable was on the way. We were all very excited to be welcoming this new little person into our lives, but it was not meant to be. I miscarried at 16 weeks in the first week of January. Our little boy died somewhere around 13 weeks. We named him Hanson, as he fit in the palm of our hand. We're trying to trust the Lord, that he loves us and he knows what is best. For whatever reason, our baby son's life has been completed already. Thank you for asking.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Laughable,
    The first part of your post made me laugh aloud. I recognized myself. Grit your teeth and search out your vision. I love the mockup you did with the green painted and wood cabs.

The second part brought moist eyes. Once again, I recognized myself, this time a self from a time many years past.

I send a warm hug your way.
    Sandra

• maggieq
    9 years ago

Oh Laughable, so so sad about baby Hanson. You have lots of GW friends who share your grief. My best to your family.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I was thinking after I posted I wanted to add my gas range is a cheap Maytag so not a lot of power on yhe burners. Maybe 17k on the biggest one so definately not a Blueatar or something. I plan on doing a SS backsplash behind my induction range when we build and just a painted wall for the rest of the backsplash. Im kind of a Plain Jane so I find backsplashes usually to be too busy or to date a kitchen.

So sorry Laughable. Im wishing you good thoughts.

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

We used 32" ceramic beadboard, but only behind the cooktop (it's $22/sq. ft.)
    But at least I got a bit of beadboard into the kitchen.
    There is a crackle version available as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: 32

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I really like the idea of beadboard in your kitchen, laughable. I think it would complement your other choices well. I wonder if either of these ideas would be possible: (1) use the 32" ceramic bear\dboard just behind the cooktop and then wood beadboard painted to match on the rest of the backsplash; or (2) use wood beadboard the whole backsplash but cover the area behind the cooktop with matte glass tempered for heat.

I don't know if the difference in how light hits the surfaces would make this look bad or not. Just wanted to offer up a different idea.

I currently have laminate behind my slide-in range, so no dial/backsplash and haven't had any scorching or other problems but mine is electric. If you have gas, I wouldn't chance it. It would probably be safe with induction. If you go that route, I would do the whole backsplash in it. I don't like how cut-up and choppy it looks in your mock-up.

From what I've seen, you have amazing taste so I'm sure you'll find the best way to rein in the clowns. :)

I wish I could hug you through the screen. I would never have guessed you were dealing with such a loss while being of such help to me and others here. Sending you heart-healing vibes and my best wishes.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Pix you posted show a color scheme you like and a style. For me, personally, both those kitchens have too many different colors/finishes but that's not uncommon these days. It depends on what your eye "needs."

Perhaps you could use the second one as a sort of guide since you've already purchased wood cabinets. I'd suggest a green island base and losing the color on the top of the vent hood. The cream backsplash is pretty, neutral and could be done reasonably.

Also -- and without intention of offending anyone -- I think the medallion thing behind the range is very 2000.

It's overwhelming. I'm an interior designer and spent a month replacing a refrigerator. A friend described that process as a sh*t storm (she was a good listener).

Meanwhile, to the important thing here. So, so sorry about the baby. There are no words from a stranger. Just a virtual ((((hug)))

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, I feel very loved by you all. Thank you. (((Hugging you back)))

I've been "gritting my teeth and searching out my vision", and it's harder than I expected. I'm so used to working with what I've got, or finding a bargain and working around that, that I feel quite out of my element trying to find what I really like. I've got oodles of pins, but, some of them are disparate.

I've tried to figure out what my decorating personality is, and I think maybe it's schizoid. It's relatively easy for me to look at a fabric and draw the colors out from it and go, blam, that works. But do I love it?...I don't know.

I've been looking for curtains or fabric online to help pull things together, but that's been boggling too. I think I need to go shopping. : ) I need to see things with my own eyes and feel them with my own hands.

Also, I've got it in the back of my head that if I'm not happy with the wood cabinets, come summer when I can throw open the windows, I might just paint them white. (Crazy???) And that means that as far as the backsplash goes, I'm mentally trying to make it work with the wood cabinets and make it work equally well with white cabinets in case we do paint them.

Then I'll think about how the master bedroom here has dark oak moldings and deep green walls and how even though it's "dark" in there (but with large s. facing bay windows), it feels great. So then I wonder if I should stick with the wood kitchen cabinets and go for a deep, cozy, moody kitchen instead. Would it be sleepy or depressing, or like a big hug?

Good news is DH has gotten a lot done this week. We are really under way! The new beam is in that will let us do our big island, He tore out the plaster and lath between the kitchen and entry and reframed that wall with a wider doorway that's in a better location, and has been working on the pantry framing. We got our temp. kitchen, phase II, set up in the family room complete with 3 8' wide open shelves on one wall to stow a bunch of our kitchen supplies.

He even temporarily hooked up my wall ovens and the cooktop. Woo-hoo!!!! We've made bread, chocolate chip cookies, and homemade pizza and they've all turned out great. : ) I'm very happy about that. I haven't been as creative with the cooktop yet. Boiled water for tea and made fried eggs. Not very exciting, but it works. ; )

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Blast it, you are a tease!

I am so @#$%$ eager to see what you eventually do with this smorgasbord of possible kitchens that lie before you (and us)!

You darn well better post the finished kitchen ;-)

• diymom79
    9 years ago

I had the plastic pvc breadboard in my last kitchen and loved it so much I made my hubby put it in our bathroom we just remodeled. Definitely go with the pvc over wood plus it has two sides to choose from. Pic is from my bath. On a negative note it can be a challenge to clean in the cracks. I hate cleaning grout. Good luck.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Oh, I can't solve your dilemma but I can relate to your have a schizophrenic decorating style! I've been collecting photos for inspiration kitchens for a long time. As I've gone through them, the only unifying theme might be simplicity (clean lines, no fancy moldings). But that's about it. They run the gamut in other ways. So I created another folder and only moved into it the best of the bunch. Ha! They still run the gamut. I guess I need to do it again with a more discerning eye?

Your kitchens have been lovely, even your current temporary one, and you make wonderful suggestions to the rest of us. I think you've proven your talent and should be confident in your choices.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your ideas are possibilities, Funkycamper. We talked about doing glass over the beadboard, too, but I do wonder if it would look funny.(?) I also wonder how successfully we could blend "real" beadboard with ceramic beadboard. That's part of why I was considering transitioning to a totally different medium behind the range, so that it wouldn't be real and fake right next to each other.

Thanks for your vote of confidence! I revel in all of the possibilities, LOL, it's making a "final" decision that's tough!

Thanks for sharing the tile you got, iroll. Since you did the beadboard only behind the range, I'm curious what you did elsewhere. I don't think crackle snaps or pops for DH, unfortunately. I found some gorgeous (or so *I* thought) crackle tile by Enser. DH response was "Oh, yuck! What's wrong with that tile?" So much for that, LOL.

Your question of how much the eye "needs" is a good one, Rococogurl. I don't know. I love color, and I like neutrals, too. I'm not sure how much my eye, or the eyes of my family can handle. I also know that I love to change things around, so committing to a color feels a bit constrictive.

I get you on the difficult appliance choice. So glad to hear that your final decision is made! You must be relieved.

I was talking to a friend whose son works in China. He said, "Mom, life is so much simpler over here!" She visited him and saw that they don't have much kitchen to speak of, they wash their dishes in the bathroom. She questioned his idea of "simplicity", but he then explained how if they need a fridge there are only 2 choices at the store. A big fridge or a little fridge. That's it. There is no agonizing over which thing to choose.

I don't care for the medallion/mural in the picture I shared, either. I didn't associate it with a certain era, necessarily (says the girl who just put her 1997 Chevy van to its final rest...) but I think I'd tire of the same picture back there, day in and day out. My daughter and I were talking about how we can't wait to turn the calender to see the new picture each month because we're tired of the old one. So, no stone murals for this household! : )

I don't mean to be a tease! ; ) Let's put it this way, right now I feel like I'll be as surprised how this kitchen looks as you will be, if that's any consolation. I plan to post pictures, no worries!

Thanks for sharing the picture of your beadboard tile combo, diymom79. Both my mom and my MIL have the vinyl beadboard in their bathrooms and love it, too. MIL has hers with the wide plank look. It's very pretty. I feel like I'm at a beautiful beach cottage when I'm in there. : )

I picked up some fabric samples today from a local store. They are quilt fabrics, so I don't know if they'd be a good choice for curtains, but they do give me an idea of how the colors work with the cupboards. Fun! I like them both--Oops. One is light colored background with blue flowers, and the other one is a black background with pink and cream flowers with green leaves. Maybe I could make both summer and winter curtains?? I need to go to the city to find decorator fabric, but the weather isn't being very cooperative for that endeavor. So, if I must, I'll stare at the cotton samples for a few days. Here's a picture, so that I'm not teasing, LOL.

This post was edited by laughable on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 23:10

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

Haven't read all the replies, just wanted to let you know that backsplash grout is much easier to keep clean than countertop or floor grout. You really don't need any special grout on that, like you would on other surfaces. You can seal the grout and it should be good for years.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, kitchenlover1, that's good to know!